Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 20 and 47 for Scheer

“...she was presented with a compelling offer by the Cats and we had to consider the broader implications of matching such a deal.

“It would have forced us to move on one of the players who finished high up in our Club Champion voting and we were not prepared to do that."

So if I read between the lines here, it was essentially she wanted to move to a higher tier, and none of the players currently in the higher tiers were willing to move down?

Scheer should absolutely have been in a higher tier. She was just about our most promising young player. Very disappointed to lose her.

So if I read between the lines here, it was essentially she wanted to move to a higher tier, and none of the players currently in the higher tiers were willing to move down?

Scheer should absolutely have been in a higher tier. She was just about our most promising young player. Very disappointed to lose her.

Geelong's squad is horrible. I'm guessing they offered her tier 1 money plus incentives which we wouldn't have been able match

Our tier 1 players would be (2 of) Marinoff, Randall, and Phillips, then we also have a bunch of tier 2 players like Hatchard, Allan, etc.

Contract extensions to:

Randall (two years)
Button
Biddell
Considine
Cox
Newman
Rajcic
Woodland

We still have a lot of out of contract players so expect more
Really pleased that we’ve shown faith in Newman and Biddell, they have a lot of untapped talent at AFLW level and hopefully they’re finally given a decent consistent go next season.

Not exactly thrilled Rajcic is going around another year, she looked absolutely cooked last season and should’ve been delisted.

Considine saved herself by stat padding up on some SANFLW teams and has shown as soon as any AFLW pressure comes along she goes to water, known commodity but seems to have the luck of the Irish when it comes to staying on a list.

With Scheer, Forth, Sedunary already gone expect Whiteley as well to be the 4th delisted plus Foley to be put on the inactive list after her knee.

All the rest should be re-signed, probably Charlton the only one in line for a multi year deal, the likes of Munyard (Port) and Ponter (Essendon) and a couple of others might have eyes on just seeing out the next 12 months before joining expansion teams.

Really pleased that we’ve shown faith in Newman and Biddell, they have a lot of untapped talent at AFLW level and hopefully they’re finally given a decent consistent go next season.

Not exactly thrilled Rajcic is going around another year, she looked absolutely cooked last season and should’ve been delisted.

Considine saved herself by stat padding up on some SANFLW teams and has shown as soon as any AFLW pressure comes along she goes to water, known commodity but seems to have the luck of the Irish when it comes to staying on a list.

With Scheer, Forth, Sedunary already gone expect Whiteley as well to be the 4th delisted plus Foley to be put on the inactive list after her knee.

All the rest should be re-signed, probably Charlton the only one in line for a multi year deal, the likes of Munyard (Port) and Ponter (Essendon) and a couple of others might have eyes on just seeing out the next 12 months before joining expansion teams.
I hope Marinoff gets a 2 year deal

I hope Marinoff gets a 2 year deal
I’m presuming that’s probably already done, was more speaking in terms of non-top tier players. The Erin pay situation is also going to be very interesting surely she’s dropped down the tiers to free up some space, I know Scheer will say it wasn’t all about money but you can except you lose her because you need to pay Marinoff & Hatchard more but not if you’re keeping Erin on high tier coin at this stage of her career.

So by my count we have the following list setup as of now:

2 year contracts
Marinoff
Randall

1 year contracts
Varnhagen (signed in 2020)
Hatchard (signed in 2020)
Jones (signed in 2020)
Allan (signed in 2020)
Button
Biddell
Considine
Cox
Newman
Rajcic
Woodland
Gould
Martin
Munyard
Whiteley

Out of contract
Foley
Gore
Allen
Metcalfe
Phillips
Thompson
Ponter
McKinnon
Mules
Charlton

Traded
Scheer

Retired
Forth

Delisted
Sedunary

Doesn't seem like we'll be taking many players at the draft then. We would be aiming to retain most if not all of those unsigned players. Might just go with three selections.

I wonder if we'll look to place Foley on the unavailable list given her ACL injury? The season is starting in December, right? No way she'll be ready to go by then.

Doesn't seem like we'll be taking many players at the draft then. We would be aiming to retain most of those unsigned players.

I wonder if we'll look to place Foley on the unavailable list given her ACL injury? The season is starting in December, right? No way she'll be ready to go by then.

Yeah there is no way Foley will be available, so she will be inactive

That would give us four picks at the draft. The only player we might consider moving on would be Metcalfe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was announced that the Draft will be held on Tuesday July 27, also announced were the SA players invited to the local draft combine;

Abbie Ballard - 160cm, Mid/HF, 16/04/2002, West Adelaide

Brooke Tonon - 166cm, HB/Wing, 19/09/2003, Glenelg

Gypsy Schirmer - 178cm, Wing/HF, 18/02/2003, South Adelaide

Lauren Breguet - 164cm, FWD/Mid, 5/11/2002, Central Districts

Leah Cutting - 185cm, Ruck/FWD, 14/03/1992, Norwood

Tahlita Buethke - 167cm, Mid/Wing, 30/04/2002, South Adelaide

Zoe Prowse - 177cm, Ruck/Utility, 30/07/2003, Sturt

Zoe Venning - 168cm, Mid/HF, 4/11/2003, West Adelaide

Surprised there weren’t a few more inclusions, especially a few more ‘mature age’ players from the SANFLW not selected for a closer look also a couple who had good U/19 National Championships like Alex Ballard from Sturt who given her ability at both ends especially with her marking and footy brain at just 18 wasn’t included especially considering Gold Coast would have a big interest in drafting her as well.

Last edited:
More re-signings

Hatchard - additional year (to 2023)
Allan - additional year (to 2023)
Thompson - 2 year deal
Gore - 1 year
Jones - 2 year deal
Ponter - 2 year deal
Charlton - 2 year deal

Metcalfe - inactive list due to work
Foley - inactive list due to ACL

Five list spots for the draft

List update

2 year contracts (2023)
Marinoff
Randall
Hatchard
Jones
Allan
Ponter
Charlton
Thompson

1 year contracts (2022)
Varnhagen
Phillips
Gore
Button
Biddell
Considine
Cox
Newman
Rajcic
Woodland
Gould
Martin
Munyard
Whiteley
Allen
McKinnon
Mules

Traded
Scheer

Retired
Forth

Inactive
Sedunary
Metcalfe
Foley

No Metcalfe next year, huh? That will certainly open the door to McKinnon, although I guess Prowse will get a chance as well. Gould obviously the incumbent.

Most of those two year deals make sense. Hopefully Ponter can get back into her 2019 form. Thompson obviously impressed the club more than me this year!

Is Sedunary inactive or delisted? I thought it was the latter.

No Metcalfe next year, huh? That will certainly open the door to McKinnon, although I guess Prowse will get a chance as well. Gould obviously the incumbent.

Most of those two year deals make sense. Hopefully Ponter can get back into her 2019 form. Thompson obviously impressed the club more than me this year!

Is Sedunary inactive or delisted? I thought it was the latter.

In the club's latest release they said Sedunary would be on the inactive list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back