Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

No Metcalfe next year, huh? That will certainly open the door to McKinnon, although I guess Prowse will get a chance as well. Gould obviously the incumbent.

Most of those two year deals make sense. Hopefully Ponter can get back into her 2019 form. Thompson obviously impressed the club more than me this year!

Is Sedunary inactive or delisted? I thought it was the latter.
Was pretty sure there was something up with Metcalfe’s defence force commitments when Norwood’s 28 year old ruck Leah Cutting was included in the draft combine last week. I’m a big fan and wanted her to replace Jess Foley/Metcalfe on the list last season, she’s the one I’d be going toward as is the far better tap ruck when it comes to ruck contests than Gould, McKinnon or Prowse who just won’t be a starting ruck at AFLW level.

Last edited:

More re-signings

Hatchard - additional year (to 2023)
Allan - additional year (to 2023)
Thompson - 2 year deal
Gore - 1 year
Jones - 2 year deal
Ponter - 2 year deal
Charlton - 2 year deal

Metcalfe - inactive list due to work
Foley - inactive list due to ACL

Five list spots for the draft
We’ve basically done a big GAGF to Port by signing Hatchard, Allan, Jones and Charlton past 2022

They must be expecting her to give up
It’s not exactly like the club should worry about her going to another club
I thought that the Cutting at the combine might have been instigated by Collingwood.
The signing of Frederick and Downie to replace Sharni Norder in ruck would make that move probably unrealistic. Also can’t allow Steve Symonds to keep out scouting the Crows for SA talent, Bella Smith would’ve been handy at CHB last season.

We’ve basically done a big GAGF to Port by signing Hatchard, Allan, Jones and Charlton past 2022

Actually scratch that…

From the AFLW website: “With expansion on the horizon, the AFL has informed clubs contracted players will essentially be able to walk to new clubs if offered a deal.”

That basically means every 2022/23 contract is void anyway.

Actually scratch that…

From the AFLW website: “With expansion on the horizon, the AFL has informed clubs contracted players will essentially be able to walk to new clubs if offered a deal.”

That basically means every 2022/23 contract is void anyway.
Lol at this competition

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've signed Jasmyn Hewett again, this time as a delisted free agent

Don’t know about this move, she was always a hard player to judge with her obvious athletic qualities but as a late-ish netball convert she didn’t look a very natural footballer and her decision making and disposal were not quite there at the top level, she does though however fill a need for a tall key position player on the list & obviously is lucky Phil Harper has a propensity for known quantities that have been involved with the club previously as shown by also re-signing Sedunary last year.

Can’t really take into account what footballer she is by them mentioning her having a very good record in the NT league last season, as it is not of a high standard & she had already performed well in that league before she was drafted by the Crows in 2017, plus I imagine she played a more ruck/midfield role in a league like that whereas she’s way too slight of build to play ruck at AFLW level.

Neither the Crows or Suns really figured out if she was better as a forward or defender, GC played her more permanently down back and from memory she did once have an ok game matched up on Katie Brennan down back for the Crows back in 2018, more comfortable with her coming back if it is to play in defence as a shutdown defender so she doesn’t get lost back there, plus you need to play your best talent up forward nowadays so any move that means Randall can play more permanently forward would help the team.

Did we ever get the details of what happened with her? From memory she just kept being given time off for personal reasons. Was a handy enough player in 2018.

She busted her ankle badly in 2019, then believe her move to GC came about because the NT partnership was ended and the Suns took that over and the Crows having won 2 flags had to be seen to be giving up players to expansion teams so basically said given her work with TIO in Darwin and not being able to be in SA during the season it would be better for her to take up an offer with the Suns (Ponter was/is the only exception to this rule, make of that what you will).

She played 6 pretty anonymous games in 2020 with the Suns but pulled out of the 2021 season due to not be able to get to the Gold Coast due to work commitments in Darwin with TIO.

Hewett was largely new to the game in second year when signed for Crows. Her athletic deeds at the combine shone. Four years on may have developed footy skills. Sliding doors moment is trial game in Darwin when both Metcalfe and Hewett injured and Jess Foley changes position and becomes star Ruck.

Hewett was largely new to the game in second year when signed for Crows. Her athletic deeds at the combine shone. Four years on may have developed footy skills. Sliding doors moment is trial game in Darwin when both Metcalfe and Hewett injured and Jess Foley changes position and becomes star Ruck.

On the other hand, the competition itself has developed a fair bit in that time, and Hewett hasn't played a tonne of footy.

In any event, I assume we've looked at who we're planning to draft (since we get exclusive access to local talent) and have decided we only wanted three picks.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the competition itself has developed a fair bit in that time, and Hewett hasn't played a tonne of footy.

In any event, I assume we've looked at who we're planning to draft (since we get exclusive access to local talent) and have decided we only wanted three picks.
4 picks

3 Picks - 25 re-sign + Rookie Simmons and Free agent Hewett
I was working it out as they’ve dropped 5, signed 1, thought Simmons as an alternative sport rookie was an extra. Still unsure how they count rookies, they haven’t really covered whether that will change.

I watched Hewett play in Darwin. She was head and shoulders above everyone in the competition by a long long way. I don't know how the level of competition compares to other womens leagues(I imagine its pretty weak), but she was like an adult playing against kids.

It is easier to dominate and stand out playing as ruck/midfield against women who haven't necessarily played much footy before. But she looked much more above the level then Ponter or some of the other girls that have played a bit of VFLW.

I hope she does well for you guys

From AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreement

(d) Each AFLW Team list must be made up of a list size of 30 players, comprising:
(i) 30 Primary List players;
(ii) 29 Primary List players plus 1 Rookie List player;
(iii) 28 Primary List players plus 2 Rookie List players; or
(iv) 27 Primary List players plus 3 Rookie List players.

30 is the number no matter how you cut it

From AFLW Collective Bargaining Agreement

(d) Each AFLW Team list must be made up of a list size of 30 players, comprising:
(i) 30 Primary List players;
(ii) 29 Primary List players plus 1 Rookie List player;
(iii) 28 Primary List players plus 2 Rookie List players; or
(iv) 27 Primary List players plus 3 Rookie List players.

30 is the number no matter how you cut it
So 3 it is, Venning, Schirmer and Prowse you’d think are the favourites to get those spots but Tonon given her very good SANFLW season for Glenelg might battle it out with Prowse given the makeup of the list and the Hewett signing, plus you never know they might go in a different direction & take a more muture age player instead like they’ve done in previous drafts. Might depend on if anyone of them has got Phil Harper’s number.

Last edited:
I feel that the role for Simmons will be interesting whether the club considers her as a Ruck, KPP or midfielder at 180cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back