Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2021 - “2nd comes right after 1st”

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality is, we do need to do whatever it takes to remove head knocks, even accidental ones, from the game to whatever extent is possible. Even if it means making the game a worse spectacle as a result. What we've learned in recent years about the effects of concussions is frightening and we need to go all-in on preventing it.

But that also involves finding ways to prevent, or even penalise, players for putting themselves in that situation in the first place.
I agree with this to a certain degree. But here’s the thing..

How can a contact sport obtain 0% chance of collision injuries (including concussions)? The problem is not solvable if we expect absolute zero injuries or concussions. The only way we can get around this is by turning AFL into a game of touch footy, where simply touching an opponent counts as a “tackle”, and any force more than a simple touch of an opponent is penalised or weeks-off suspensions...

Getting back to reality, we should aim to MINIMISE head injuries and concussions, but with the understanding (from players, fans, tribunal etc.) that there WILL be accidents in our game, that can never ever be eradicated.

It needs to be noted that even the despised Kane Cornes has been outraged by this "tackling" penalty! He's on our side!
What is going on here? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the AFL bought in like Biomathematics bullshit expect to prove that the collision and impact was correct in deeming it severe.

Last edited:
Supposedly a connection breakdown so the video they wanted to show was fuzzy and not so clear, or something to that effect

That was regarding us trying to use video from a bio-mechanist talking through the incident (presumably to argue that Marinoff contributed essentially no force to). The video was apparently blurry over the feed. That meant it couldn't be viewed properly today, but it's not why the case have been put off for a week.

The one-week adjournment is to give the AFL's lawyer time to review and potentially respond to the new evidence we've presented.

Because people have the attention span of gnats

If they uphold the suspension only Adelaide supporters will get upset

If they reduce it then Giants supporters will be upset

Either way all the surrounding media etc will have moved on
I think you might find this is a general footy issue and not just a club one. It has significant implication for all players concerned, and they might end up fearing of going for the ball hard if unfair penalties are given.

Sad incident? Yes. Fair penalty? No.

Are we suggesting that she may have already been hurt by crashing into the fence, and that the bit of Contact from Eb just finished the job?

I'm surprised the vision they've seen isn't already enough to overturn it, let alone the added bit
I think they’re going to refer to further medical opinions with the new evidence.

Irrespective of the new evidence, just by using common sense, we can say:
- relatively innocuous bumps to the head are very common in footy. (Thousands of instances per given year).
- how many result in neck fractures? I can barely think of any instance.
- Selwood alone has been hit in the head probably a 100 times in his career with similar blows from other opponents (often harder blows). No medical expert has jumped in to warn the AFL that Selwood is likely to sustain a neck fracture.
- it would be probable to assume that there were other earlier forces to the players neck that may well have contributed to the neck fracture outcome.

I think you might find this is a general footy issue and not just a club one. It has significant implication for all players concerned, and they might end up fearing of going for the ball hard if unfair penalties are given.

Sad incident? Yes. Fair penalty? No.
Never said any of that

It was asked why a week to make a decision - my answer is the AFL want the heat to die down

The AFL has been clear for years that they use severity as a major deciding factor in their rulings, and the only real way they have to judge the severity of an action is by the outcome.

Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it means that genuinely dangerous actions get slaps on the wrist because the opponent is lucky to avoid serious injury, while innocuous incidents get penalised harshly because of freak accidents. It's a dumb way of doing things, but it's the one they've chosen.

This seems different, though. Usually in this sort of situation you can at least say "well, that's a pity but that's the risk you take when you bump/tackle/whatever". But as far as I can tell here, Marinoff didn't actually do... anything. She just happened to be nearby when Stack accidentally drove her head into Marinoff's torso. Yes, the outcome needs to be taken into consideration when determining the length of suspension, but surely you need to actually be found guilty of something first. Rough conduct? Where? I've watched the footage a dozen times, I can't see anything whatsoever that would indicate rough conduct.

It was just a freak accident, a shitty situation. It sucks big time and I hate that I'm sitting here whinging about a suspension when someone is sitting in the hospital with an injured neck after travelling halfway across the world to be here. But I just can't see how Marinoff can be considered at fault here based on the footage we've seen.

Unless you play for a Melbourne based team and break an Adelaide players jaw. Then it is just an accident...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back