hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
cricket squatters taking up residency? - worst part about summer- cricketers on footy ovals
Nothing wrong with cricket.

I think it's part of it, and the council wanting to perform their maintenance

So Rd 5 is indigenous round.

Our guernsey is our new away guernsey, the white base.
But St Kilda's indigenous guernsey is a white base too.

Will they wear their normal guernsey as we're the home team, or will we wear our home guernsey as we've been wearing our indigenous guernsey a few times already and a few times more going forwarD?

Our run home is playing:

Melbourne (away - Casey)
Bulldogs (home - Norwood)
Collingwood (home - Norwood)

This balances out our season with more top teams, given to that point we will have played 2 in the top 6 and 4 in the bottom 6.

It also gives us 5 out of 9 home matches.

Most of the remaining matches see the stronger teams play each other, and the weaker teams play each other. Of course the fixture should probably be more even, as a team like Geelong are getting a very easy run

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our run home is playing:

Melbourne (away - Casey)
Bulldogs (home - Norwood)
Collingwood (home - Norwood)

This balances out our season with more top teams, given to that point we will have played 2 in the top 6 and 4 in the bottom 6.

It also gives us 5 out of 9 home matches.

Most of the remaining matches see the stronger teams play each other, and the weaker teams play each other. Of course the fixture should probably be more even, as a team like Geelong are getting a very easy run

will certainly be a good measuring stick of where the team is at after those 3 games

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's a pretty damn tough run home! Those three sides have only dropped three matches between them so far.

We'll definitely know which teams are for real come the finals.

Has the finals system been released anywhere? I'm assuming it's like this:

Semi Finals:

Match A: 3rd vs 6th
Match B: 4th vs 5th

Prelim Finals:

Match C: 1st vs Winner Match B
Match D: 2nd vs Winner Match A

Grand Final: Winner Match C vs Winner Match D

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I had a chuckle with the afc.com page saying that Adelaide's trip to Casey is their first game in Metropolitan Melbourne for two seasons

Scraping the definition of 'Melbourne' there, I guess on a technicality - It's 66 kms away from my place - For comparison, Kardinia Park is only 84 kms away, and there is a train directly there

If I had more notice I probably would have been able to get work off that night, or got a shift that finished earlier - Oh well...

Hopefully next season we get a Vic Park and Princes Park game to make up for lost Melbourne exposure

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
So every team that’s played AFLW this year on a Friday night are Victorian.
Well blow me down.

There are 8 Victorian teams, only once in the 9 round season are there 4 Victorian teams playing on a Sunday. The week it occurs happens to be a long weekend in Victoria, it's not a 'real' Sunday.

There are only 6 non Victorian teams, 3 times 4 non Victorian teams play on a Sunday.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
There are 8 Victorian teams, only once in the 9 round season are there 4 Victorian teams playing on a Sunday. The week it occurs happens to be a long weekend in Victoria, it's not a 'real' Sunday.

There are only 6 non Victorian teams, 3 times 4 non Victorian teams play on a Sunday.
Back to the 90s for most of us

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
Look at the AFL fixture this week, only Victorian teams play across Friday and Saturday.

There must be people at the AFL who think that fans around Australia like Sunday footy but it's not a 'Victorian thing', Victorians like footy on Fridays and Saturdays and this is unique to Victoria. Same as how they tried and push Sunday twilight games and Monday night games on other states but not in Victoria, as Victorians wouldn't like it. No one ******* likes it.

Seems like after 2020 they are unashamedly doing this for Melbourne.

Look at the AFL fixture this week, only Victorian teams play across Friday and Saturday.

There must be people at the AFL who think that fans around Australia like Sunday footy but it's not a 'Victorian thing', Victorians like footy on Fridays and Saturdays and this is unique to Victoria. Same as how they tried and push Sunday twilight games and Monday night games on other states but not in Victoria, as Victorians wouldn't like it. No one ******* likes it.

Seems like after 2020 they are unashamedly doing this for Melbourne.
What I've noticed is that Saturday afternoon only works in 2 cities. Melbourne (traditional spot) and Sydney (rec senior football was always small, junior football was big, but juniors played Sunday and seniors played Saturday)

Saturday Afternoons dont work in Brisbane (heat) and Adelaide or Perth (big community numbers who will play/officiate/volunteer at the detriment of the AFL)

I think with mens the perfect fixture should be
Thursday night
Friday night
Saturday afternoon (mcg)
Saturday twilight (prefferably th Sydney game)
2x Saturday night
2x Sunday afternoon
Sunday twilight.

With womens I'd rather just do 1 game per night and always have it under lights. B.S. that we have to play in the sun in the middle of summer. Yes, 2021 has been a mild summer, but 35+ degree days? That'd be torture for the players and fans. Get it under lights and at least reduce risk of sunburn and other risks associated.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
So both Collingwood and Fremantle had big wins today. Collingwood up 51-15 over the Bulldogs, and Freo smashed the Eagles 75-8. After our big win we're still only fourth on the ladder.

It's going to be a fascinating end to the season. The ladder has kind of split up into three groups now. There are the top four sides (Collingwood, Fremantle, Brisbane, Crows) who seem to be well ahead of the rest, all with percentages well into the 200s. There's the bottom six sides in St Kilda, Giants, Richmond, Eagles, Geelong and Gold Coast who can really only beat each other, and other than Richmond (74.6%) all have percentages below 60%. It's almost impossible to imagine any of them fighting their way up into the top six. And then there's the in-between sides in Kangaroos, Melbourne, Bulldogs and Carlton who are a clear level below the top four, but far too good for the bottom six. You'd have to guess two of them will get in to the finals. The Kangaroos have the percentage advantage at the moment (165.9% compared to low 100s for the rest), while Carlton is a win behind.

The interesting thing with the top four teams is that three of them have all played each other, for a win and a loss each. That's Freo, Brisbane and Crows. Then there is Collingwood who hasn't had to face any of us yet, and is undefeated. As such, it's really tough to know where Collingwood stands compared to the other top four teams. They play Brisbane next week which will be illuminating. It's a Brisbane home game.

For the final three rounds:

Collingwood plays two top four teams (Crows, Brisbane) and a bottom six team (Saints)
Fremantle plays three in-between sides (Carlton, Melbourne, Kangaroos)
Brisbane plays one top four team (Collingwood) and two in-between teams (Kangaroos, Melbourne)
Adelaide plays one top four team (Collingwood) and two in-between sides (Melbourne, Bulldogs)

Seems like Fremantle has the easiest remaining fixture of the top-four sides, and I think they're probably the best team. I would expect them to finish top two and probably win their home final. Honestly, I think they'll be hosting the grand final.

Despite being undefeated, Collingwood actually has the weakest percentage of the top four. If they drop either of their matches against Crows or Brisbane, they will almost certainly lose top spot. Every team from fifth through to eighth is a Victorian team, they'll be hoping that Collingwood drops down to host a final, since every other top four option is non-Victorian.

If things go according to ladder positions, we're a decent chance to be top two going into the final round, since we don't play Collingwood until the last round. However, Melbourne has proven to be a bogey side for us over the years. The good news is that dropping one of the last three matches is unlikely to cost us a top four spot, because the teams below us have tough runs home.

Back