Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 - Premiers; Got the Trophy, cop that AFL House 🖕🏼

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no mandatory vaccinations. People are free not to get one. It just may impact whether they are able to work.

Just like you can choose not to get a police check if you don't want. Just don't expect to get to work with children if you choose not to.
don;t expect to be able to play in the AFL either so effectively it is mandatory.

It's mandatory in the state where the vast majority games are played.

I read back over my post and realised what I wrote could be read in multiple ways.

What I meant was that nobody is being forced to play in the AFL. If they don't want to take the vaccines, they're free to find something else to do.

Varnhagen must be vaccinated to play AFLW or train by November 19 (first dose)

If she doesn't comply, we can either drastically cut her pay, move her to the inactive list, or terminate her contract

If she doesn't comply, we can either drastically cut her pay, move her to the inactive list, or terminate her contract
I wonder what she'll do.

I'd say she'd get maybe 15 grand for aflw and 70k for her job as an intensive care nurse.
Surely you wouldn't just forego that amount of money for jobs that I'd imagine she loved.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I wonder what she'll do.

I'd say she'd get maybe 15 grand for aflw and 70k for her job as an intensive care nurse.
Surely you wouldn't just forego that amount of money for jobs that I'd imagine she loved.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, it would be one thing if it was just her AFLW career, but this will affect her main career as well.

It's more money than that, too. I imagine Varnhagen is probably tier 3 which is worth 25k in 2022. Even tier 4 (the lowest) will be 20k. And it's even more if we reach the GF again.

The SA date for the cut off for the first jab is 21 January, so the club has some time to decide if she doesn’t change her mind

The SA date for the cut off for the first jab is 21 January, so the club has some time to decide if she doesn’t change her mind
AFLW cut off is first dose 19th Nov fully vaxxed by 17th of dec.

The aflw season start early Jan.

I see Saints AFLW player has taken a leave of absence. Probably be more in the coming weeks.

AFLW cut off is first dose 19th Nov fully vaxxed by 17th of dec.

The aflw season start early Jan.

I see Saints AFLW player has taken a leave of absence. Probably be more in the coming weeks.
The headlines have been different for both players, Vic media have gone pretty softly on Patrikios

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a reasonable appointment on the surface. I must admit he floated off my radar recently. Why is he retired at 28? Injuries, or did he fall out of favour?
All of the above I think

Crows coach Matthew Clarke said Varnhagen was continuing to educate herself around the vaccine with the help of both AFL and Crows medical teams.

“She’s gathering as much information as she possibly can and we’re supportive of that … ultimately it’s her decision and we’ll respect that decision,” he said.

“From a club’s perspective we’ve been really clear: We are very much promoting everyone to get vaccinated and personally that’s clearly my position as well.

“But ultimately it’s an individual decision and it’s someone’s medical decision, so from that respect we do respect her right to get more information, and if and when we have to cross that bridge, then we’ll do so.”

Clarke said the rest of the playing group were either: “Fully vaccinated, partially vaccinated or in the process of”.

Under the AFL’s new policy the Crows could terminate Varnhagen’s contract with her permission or keep her on their list but not play her in 2022 if she does not receive the vaccine.

A friend of mine told me that there are people walking away from their jobs next week with the new vaccine mandate coming in. Three pharmacists, a pharmacy technician, Deni being a nurse and I'm sure there are other nurses in the same position as well as doctors who are against the vaccine. These are all Flinders hospital staff, so it is very real that people are willing to walk away from their jobs. So if you need to go to hospital (or access other health care services), just know, they may be short staffed.

I know of a few people down there walking away, seems utterly idiotic they are doing so but nevermind.

Other than the obligatory Varnhagen stuff it was a pretty interesting presser from Clarke yesterday, might be hard to get a trial game away in December given it would probably have to be either GWS or a Victorian team given the Queensland and WA clubs will just play each other. Also interesting Clarke said that despite being a tall, Basketball recruit Jas Simmons will be played as an outside runner due to her pace not in key position roles.

might be hard to get a trial game away in December given it would probably have to be either GWS or a Victorian team
Well that narrows it down to just 9 options... What would be the hurdle there? SA borders are supposed to be opening November 23, are they not.

Well that narrows it down to just 9 options... What would be the hurdle there? SA borders are supposed to be opening November 23, are they not.

Well considering all teams available will probably prefer to stay in their own state given the time frame and availability, organising the logistics will be the worry even if everything runs smoothly and the borders are open, whether the AFL can/be willing to organise a fly in/fly out model similar to last AFL season for a one off unofficial match or if the Crows travel to Sydney or Melbourne & return will some quarantine conditions still be in place that might be disruptive.

Also organising team & support staff travel for an unofficial match interstate is for some semi-professional players/part-time staff involved already a slight issue to begin with, from memory GWS last season had the real bare minimum players and staff turn up when they traveled & played a practice game before last season in SA.

This is also taking into account the AFL can firstly get a Home and Away fixture out pretty soon as well.

Well considering all teams available will probably prefer to stay in their own state given the time frame and availability, organising the logistics will be the worry even if everything runs smoothly and the borders are open, whether the AFL can/be willing to organise a fly in/fly out model similar to last AFL season for a one off unofficial match or if the Crows travel to Sydney or Melbourne & return will some quarantine conditions still be in place that might be disruptive.
If everything runs smoothly and the borders are open, why would quarantine measures be a factor?

Also organising team & support staff travel for an unofficial match interstate is for some semi-professional players/part-time staff involved already a slight issue to begin with, from memory GWS last season had the real bare minimum players and staff turn up when they traveled & played a practice game before last season in SA.
Not sure what you're basing that on. No such issues have ever prevented league-sanctioned practice matches going ahead in the past, and GWS had their entire squad and staff with them on the road throughout January this year (which included the practice match vs Adelaide).

The only likely complication I can see with this year's practice matches are with regards to the timing: They are always played a fortnight before Round 1, but that would be Dec 25/26 this time around which ain't gonna happen.

If everything runs smoothly and the borders are open, why would quarantine measures be a factor?

Not sure what you're basing that on. No such issues have ever prevented league-sanctioned practice matches going ahead in the past, and GWS had their entire squad and staff with them on the road throughout January this year (which included the practice match vs Adelaide).

The only likely complication I can see with this year's practice matches are with regards to the timing: They are always played a fortnight before Round 1, but that would be Dec 25/26 this time around which ain't gonna happen.

Your right with quarantine you’d think most Local Government Areas where they’d travel to play will be over 80% which will avoid quarantine, depending on where Blacktown is at you’d imagine the club will probably be forced to travel out there to play GWS again.

I was pretty sure GWS had some issue with amount of personal they had travel to Adelaide one trial match, I’m thinking it was the 2020 trial match at Richmond oval.

I was pretty sure GWS had some issue with amount of personal they had travel to Adelaide one trial match, I’m thinking it was the 2020 trial match at Richmond oval.
Mmm possibly, though that was an unsanctioned practice match which aren't typically organised as far in advance (nor are the various expenses involved covered by the league) as official practice matches are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back