Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 - Premiers; Got the Trophy, cop that AFL House 🖕🏼

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned it in the other thread, but we've got a damn tough draw, even putting aside the timeslots.

We play every team from the 2021 top 9 except ourselves, plus West Coast (12th). The only teams we miss are Richmond (10th), St Kilda (11th), Geelong (13th) and Gold Coast (14th). By way of contrast, the reigning premiers Brisbane play all of the bottom 4 sides.

If we manage to get up this season we will have bloody earned it!

AfternoonTwilightNight
Adelaide
7​
1​
Brisbane
2​
5​
1​
Carlton
3​
4​
1​
Collingwood
3​
3​
2​
Fremantle
4​
2​
2​
Geelong
1​
4​
3​
Gold Coast
6​
2​
Greater Western Sydney
5​
2​
1​
Melbourne
4​
1​
3​
North Melbourne
5​
1​
2​
Richmond
1​
3​
4​
St Kilda
4​
2​
2​
West Coast
2​
3​
3​
Western Bulldogs
3​
2​
3​

Check out the breakdown of Victorian teams playing on Sundays compared to non Victorian teams.

It's just like last year, they did the exact same thing.

Teams that play more Fri/Sat than Sunday games:

Richmond
St Kilda
Geelong
Collingwood
Melbourne
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Qest Coast

according to a frequent AFLW poster, Adelaide have routinely requested Sun afternoon fixtures

Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. We haven’t had a home night game since Round 1 2019.

It’s all well and good to keep requesting day games but Norwood isn’t the most pleasant of places in January.

Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. We haven’t had a home night game since Round 1 2019.

It’s all well and good to keep requesting day games but Norwood isn’t the most pleasant of places in January.

it was bad enough for baseball and that was played at night

Apparently Marinoff has now been added to the leadership group.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1035713/aflw-star-crow-elevated-to-leadership-group

Seems kind of odd to add someone after having voted on the group a few weeks ago, but hey. She's a pretty good choice.

Reading between the lines, I think the players voted on the initial leadership group, and then the coaching staff made an executive decision to just add Marinoff anyway.

Looks like they might finally announce a replacement player soon, Gypsy Schirmer seen training with the team at 0.36 in this NEWS report tonight…

View attachment 1290766

Strange no signing announcement especially with just over 3 weeks till the season starts plus it can be seen Ange Foley was in full kit for photo day on the clubs Instagram today, also have shown her training with the team recently. It would not surprise me if they are thinking of just taking her off the inactive list to replace Varnhagen in view of her maybe playing in the later half of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a pretty phenomenal turnaround considering she did the ACL less than eight months ago. She's no spring chicken either, today was her 33rd birthday. Phillips only made it back for two matches in the season after her ACL, and Scheer didn't make it back at all. And the 2019 GF was three weeks earlier in the year than the 2021 GF, while the 2022 season starts several weeks earlier than normal. Feels like a risky strategy to me.

Foley is obviously quality if she can get back, but I'd rather give a quality young player a try. Then we can hopefully retain both going forward.

Edit: Somehow I missed it a fortnight ago, but that article also mentions that Ponter has been in SA for the entire preseason. Fingers crossed it translates into some quality form! She's got talent for days but has underperformed since 2019.

That would be a pretty phenomenal turnaround considering she did the ACL less than eight months ago. She's no spring chicken either, today was her 33rd birthday. Phillips only made it back for two matches in the season after her ACL, and Scheer didn't make it back at all. And the 2019 GF was three weeks earlier in the year than the 2021 GF, while the 2022 season starts several weeks earlier than normal. Feels like a risky strategy to me.

Foley is obviously quality if she can get back, but I'd rather give a quality young player a try. Then we can hopefully retain both going forward.

It’s still very unlikely just wouldn’t surprise me if they took the very narrow short term view that the replacement player would be extremely unlikely to play anyway and having someone experienced like Foley available for finals if they make it again would be better.

I can definitely see the argument that having Foley available for the finals would be valuable. If we're confident she'll be back by then (and admittedly it's probably four months away still) it could prove very useful.

However, I don't think it's at all unlikely for a replacement player to play. Rachelle Martin got a game as a replacement player, after all. On the whole, we've proved quite happy to play newcomers to our list. All three of our 2020 draftees played in the 2021 season where we went to the grand final. In fact, of the 21 players we've drafted over the 17/18/19/20 drafts, only one (Rosenzweig, 2018 draft) hasn't played matches in their first season on the list.

Ticketek again as great as ever with the members pre-sale this morning, available seats wouldn’t load up with the barcode and had to reload the page 5 times before it did then 10 times before anything other than GA standing finally loaded up

Playing the traditional Pre-Season rivals yet again on Saturday;

“Adelaide v GWS
Saturday 18 December, 11.30am ACDT, Norwood Oval
Open to the public
Coverage via club social media channels every quarter

Squads to be announced Thursday”

Wonder if Brid Stack will publish another open letter in an Irish Paper if another Crows player gets within 5ft of her.

Playing the traditional Pre-Season rivals yet again on Saturday;

“Adelaide v GWS
Saturday 18 December, 11.30am ACDT, Norwood Oval
Open to the public
Coverage via club social media channels every quarter

Squads to be announced Thursday”

Wonder if Brid Stack will publish another open letter in an Irish Paper if another Crows player gets within 5ft of her.

Is she back playing again? Good effort if she is!

I thought our traditional pre-season rivals were Freo.

Tomorrow’s trial game got canceled due to a COVID case in the Giants camp.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come for the season proper

AFLW Crows premiership player Deni Varnhagen has launched a Supreme Court challenge to the state’s Covid-19 rules – and the mandate that she, as a nurse, must be vaccinated.
Varnhagen, who was placed on the club’s inactive list last month, has joined with a fellow nurse, a teacher and a childcare worker in a bid to overturn SA’s vaccination requirement.

The group does not contest the efficacy of vaccines, nor epidemiological science about the virus – only the state government’s power to enforce medical procedures upon individuals.

AFLW Crows premiership player Deni Varnhagen has launched a Supreme Court challenge to the state’s Covid-19 rules – and the mandate that she, as a nurse, must be vaccinated.
Varnhagen, who was placed on the club’s inactive list last month, has joined with a fellow nurse, a teacher and a childcare worker in a bid to overturn SA’s vaccination requirement.

The group does not contest the efficacy of vaccines, nor epidemiological science about the virus – only the state government’s power to enforce medical procedures upon individuals.
Yeah, these things are often put in place without the input of those who know the law. Lol. Ambulance chasing lawyer must be looking for some easy money by fleecing Deni.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back