Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 - Premiers; Got the Trophy, cop that AFL House 🖕🏼

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't watch it but considering it this week.
Those who do, why is it so low scoring?
I mean women's soccer and basketball is high scoring

Basketball and soccer are completely different games. You might as well point out the average womens' netball score. It's irrelevant.

On the miniscule chance that you are genuinely asking, it's a combination of four factors.

First, the skills are obviously not what they are in the men's AFL game, although I wouldn't say that set shot accuracy isn't any worse.

The bigger issues are that the women are smaller on average than the men, and the ball itself is smaller. As a result, the girls can only accurately kick the ball around 30-40m instead of 50-60m. That means an extra two or three possessions are required in a chain to create a goal, which means more opportunities for a turnover. It also means that when a team is going forward, the opposition can more easily zone off because there is a much smaller range of ground the player can kick to.

And the fourth issue is that the games are generally played at suburban grounds which are more impacted by wind, making it tougher to nail goals, particularly with the lighter ball.

Edit: As LiquidCrow points out below, the fact that the games are only 75% as long is also a major contributing factor.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're going to watch this week, be prepared for a few things.

The women are much better defensively than offensively, so expect to see lots of smothered balls, etc. It will generally be a lot less clean than the men's game.

Don't necessarily expect that a mark inside 50m will turn into a goal. The majority of goals at AFLW level come on the run.

The umpiring will be absolutely awful. This is generally true for AFLW but no doubt will be even worse this week.

If you're watching on TV, you will get sick of hearing about Daisy Pearce after around 15 seconds.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Game time also shorter - each quarter is only 15 minutes vs 20 minutes.

Oh yes, forgot that - makes a huge difference, especially when you consider how many AFL goals are scored in "junk time" when fatigue has set in.

There are various other minor factors as well, such as the girls often playing in 30+ degree heat.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Basketball and soccer are completely different games. You might as well point out the average womens' netball score. It's irrelevant.

On the miniscule chance that you are genuinely asking, it's a combination of four factors.

First, the skills are obviously not what they are in the men's AFL game, although I wouldn't say that set shot accuracy isn't any worse.

The bigger issues are that the women are smaller on average than the men, and the ball itself is smaller. As a result, the girls can only accurately kick the ball around 30-40m instead of 50-60m. That means an extra two or three possessions are required in a chain to create a goal, which means more opportunities for a turnover. It also means that when a team is going forward, the opposition can more easily zone off because there is a much smaller range of ground the player can kick to.

And the fourth issue is that the games are generally played at suburban grounds which are more impacted by wind, making it tougher to nail goals, particularly with the lighter ball.

Edit: As LiquidCrow points out below, the fact that the games are only 75% as long is also a major contributing factor.
Interesting.
Why not play on smaller grounds?
Like aflx, it would make it a higher scoring and more entertaining game.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If you're going to watch this week, be prepared for a few things.

The women are much better defensively than offensively, so expect to see lots of smothered balls, etc. It will generally be a lot less clean than the men's game.

Don't necessarily expect that a mark inside 50m will turn into a goal. The majority of goals at AFLW level come on the run.

The umpiring will be absolutely awful. This is generally true for AFLW but no doubt will be even worse this week.

If you're watching on TV, you will get sick of hearing about Daisy Pearce after around 15 seconds.
Last game I watched was 2 years ago and thought immediately the ground is too big, there are too many players in congestion and the skills are off.
They have a go, good luck to them I guess.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting.
Why not play on smaller grounds?
Like aflx, it would make it a higher scoring and more entertaining game.

It might make it higher scoring, although the underlying reality is that the players still can't kick as far. This means that the amount of ground the opposition has to cover will always be smaller, allowing for good zoning techniques etc. While these women are smaller than the men, and their skills are not generally at that elite level, athletically and aerobically most of them are elite. They are very capable of covering lots of ground and playing to a structure, so the game will always end up with a more defensive tilt to it.

I'm not convinced it would be more entertaining. I actually really enjoy watching AFLW. In many ways I prefer it to the men's game. The men's game is so powerful, so clinical. Often it feels like one bounce goes against you, or a bad free kick, and suddenly the opposition goes bang, bang, bang and hits three 50m targets in a row to score a goal before you can blink. In AFLW it feels like the players really have to earn their goals. Tackles, spoils, smothers, they all seem to be worth more in AFLW than they are in AFL.

Still, an argument could be made that us playing at Norwood Oval is exactly what you're asking for. It's a much narrower ground and the Crows really take advantage of that.

In any event, none of that is the real consideration. The real consideration is that they need to play the games at grounds which have sufficient seating capacity for fans to attend, and more importantly, the appropriate facilities for broadcasting, etc. Clearly, suburban grounds are the best option for this.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last game I watched was 2 years ago and thought immediately the ground is too big, there are too many players in congestion and the skills are off.
They have a go, good luck to them I guess.

If I can offer one more piece of advice, don't watch it expecting to see a game of AFL football except with women. Think of it as a different game and enjoy it for what it is. I personally love watching it.

You're right about one thing, the girls have a serious crack. The Crows side is generally stacked full of big bodies that hit hard and like to tackle.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If I can offer one more piece of advice, don't watch it expecting to see a game of AFL football except with women. Think of it as a different game and enjoy it for what it is. I personally love watching it.

You're right about one thing, the girls have a serious crack. The Crows side is generally stacked full of big bodies that hit hard and like to tackle.
I like the men's sanfl because it's a slower pace and tougher game than AFL.
But they score heavily.

I could learn to enjoy aflw if the scoring improves.
Like WNBA, I really enjoy because they still score plenty.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I've personally never cared about the scoring. I don't see a scoreline of 60-59 as being any more exciting than a scoreline of 30-29.

Now if it's lopsided, that can be boring. The margin is what matters, not the aggregate score.
That's what rugby and soccer are for.
AFL and basketball for high scoring.

Anyhow thanks for the info, I'll give it another go this week.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sarah Allan makes the final AA team again, no surprises there :thumbsu: Three seasons in a row.

Hatchard and Marinoff both make it in the starting midfield. 4th time for Marinoff.

Woodland makes it as well. Fair enough, more goals this season than any other forward in history.

Phillips misses out. Probably fair.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sarah Allan makes the final AA team again, no surprises there :thumbsu: Three seasons in a row.

Hatchard and Marinoff both make it in the starting midfield. 4th time for Marinoff.

Woodland makes it as well. Fair enough, more goals this season than any other forward in history.

Phillips misses out. Probably fair.
You're really into it hey?
Can I ask if you have daughters of family members who play?

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're really into it hey?
Can I ask if you have daughters of family members who play?

Are you this offensive on purpose or does it just come naturally? :rolleyes:

No, I have no link to the any AFLW players. Although I did teach Crows 2017 premiership player Rachael Killian once!

I'm into it because I love watching it. Same reason anyone gets invested in any sports team or league.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Are you this offensive on purpose or does it just come naturally? :rolleyes:

No, I have no link to the any AFLW players. Although I did teach Crows 2017 premiership player Rachael Killian once!
Offensive how?
Why do people get offended so easily, was genuine question.

I've never met anyone into the women's game so it intrigues me.

Back