Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 The 2nd - Defending Our Flag for Back to Back Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Screenshot_2022-07-04-11-30-14-23_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
Season 7 fixture just dropped, got some Friday night games which is cool and a Friday night showdown at Adelaide oval.

Port are the only expansion team we play. However we play Melbourne, Freo, and North at home. Only too 4 team away is Brisbane. Which is pretty good for us also thanks to Port we get 6 home games and only 4 away

Only two Sunday matches! That's a big change from seasons past.

Edit: We also get to play Richmond for the first time, four seasons into their existence as an AFLW team.

We would've played them in 2020 if COVID didn't abort the season.

I guess a combination of our success (and their lack of success) has seen this quirk happen.

Pretty good fixture.

Only 2 games at Norwood (as night games), which is a great reward for fans who've had to endure roasting concrete terraces the past couple of seasons.
Day games at Unley is fantastic. The small oval will make for some quality matches, plus the Jack Oatey stand has had extensive renovations this year, making for improved player and spectator facilities.

Away Showdown at Adelaide Oval - we get an extra game in SA without having to travel to what's left of Alberton Oval.

3 of our 4 away game in Melbourne - great for the die hards that want to an AFLW footy trip

The only disappointing part of the fixture is once again missing out on a home Pride Round fixture (we are yet to host one despite the AFL often using Rainbow Crows to promote the round).

Love it
Though - What's finals looking like?
Top 6? Top 8?

If it's a top 8 and it's 4 weeks of finals, I think I'm overseas for the Grand Final :(
I'm pretty sure it's a top 8.

Yep it’s a top 8 and 4 weeks of finals this season.

What will be interesting is if we make the GF again is where we’ll play the match.

Adelaide Oval will be in between the T20 World Cup and the Windies Test Match. Could a GF be shoehorned in between?

I’d hate for the GF to be forced to Coopers Stadium

Yep it’s a top 8 and 4 weeks of finals this season.

What will be interesting is if we make the GF again is where we’ll play the match.

Adelaide Oval will be in between the T20 World Cup and the Windies Test Match. Could a GF be shoehorned in between?

I’d hate for the GF to be forced to Coopers Stadium
They'd play our home final at the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New guernsey numbers are out. All previous players have kept their numbers (including Dowrick who stays at #9, while the inactive Varnhagen presumably doesn't have a number at the moment), and the new players:

#3 - Amber Ward
#7 - Keeley Kustermann
#13 - Kiera Mueller
#23 - Niamh Kelly

Big shoes to fill for Mueller!

I have a few thoughts on the first W-Showdown Round 6 on Fri 30 Sep 22 (later game). Is this going to be a continuation of the Men's and have Variety sponsor this. Alternatives could be a Breast Cancer Awareness/Prevention or Stamp out violence against women. Invite the AFL elite for the game. NL and GM.

With this likely to be a single showdown each year moving forward then freezing one club out because it is not their home game is wrong. We need both clubs to be sharing this and having some input build a different Showdown. Something like the ticketing agent Ticketmaster, the clubs and maybe the Stadium Authority turn the Adelaide Oval into equal blocks for both clubs to pack it out a sea of Red and a sea of Teal (Prison Bar Jersey's). Different to the other Showdowns having a significant away presence Something that follows on when the Crows are the Home team. Make this an event but not just for the Theatre Crowd on a bandwagons but those that supported AFLW before it was new and shiney.

Will be interesting if Chris Davies wants to indoctrinate the AFLW team why they hate the Crows the stole our spot.

I would be happy for them to do their INXS song for Adelaide Home game not prior to first ball up but running onto the field through the banner

Last edited:
Sarah Black's top 30 AFLW players segment has started up again. Her rankings are always a bit Vic-centric but they're interesting anyway and there's bound to be plenty of Crows in there. The rankings are only based on performance in the most recent season. She will be revealing 5 players at a time except for today when she just did #30 for whatever reason. Just to stretch things out I guess.

In any event, our own Ash Woodland came in at #30 :thumbsu:

Sarah Black's Top 30 AFLW players: No.30 kicks off S7 count

The leading goal kicker is #30?

Either
1) The top 29 are solely midfielders/backman
or
2) The list has zero credibility

;)

I guess there could be an argument that being a player in the Crows forward line is like playing on easy mode? :p She just finishes off the hard work of those up the ground, etc. Not really true when you consider she was the only Crows forward to have a big year (our next best forward kicked less than half as many goals as she did) but that is probably a common assumption.

I would put big money on Tayla Harris being on the list ahead of Woodland. Probably Cora Staunton too.

I guess there could be an argument that being a player in the Crows forward line is like playing on easy mode? :p She just finishes off the hard work of those up the ground, etc. Not really true when you consider she was the only Crows forward to have a big year (our next best forward kicked less than half as many goals as she did) but that is probably a common assumption.

I would put big money on Tayla Harris being on the list ahead of Woodland. Probably Cora Staunton too.
Oh 100% likely.

All jokes aside. I find Ash hard to rate.

Like, in a lot of ways, she's an average player and shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

However, she lead the bloody league in goals, so she has to be here as not having the leading goal kicker, especially at her age not on the list is an insult.

Sarah Black is usually pretty good – can remember on one of those panel shows she was the only commentator to tip us to win the Grand Final which was a surprise contrast to the pro Melbourne rhetoric, but I’ve got a feeling with these top player lists they have to spread it around the clubs moreso than in the men’s game.

The list should be dominated by Crows and Dees players, but just like the AA squad, I think all clubs will have at least one player named - St Kilda finished bottom 2, they’ve got a token entry at 29.

Edit: Tayla Harris at 26; so that's the two AA forwards accounted for.

The Colewoman medallist comes in at number 30, seems legit.

Was hoping the AFLW wan't going to be as Vic biased as the AFL, certainly hasn't turned out that way.

The Colewoman medallist comes in at number 30, seems legit.

Was hoping the AFLW wan't going to be as Vic biased as the AFL, certainly hasn't turned out that way.
but then when their annoited forward in Tayla harris is 26, maybe they're taking into account it's a very defensive game and there's not many standout forwards in the game?

If she lands as the #2 forward, and consdiering Harris was leading the colewoman entering Adelaide's final game, it's not like there's a massive difference.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back