Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 The 2nd - Defending Our Flag for Back to Back Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So assuming Biddell and Ponter both play R1, nine players from this trial will need to go out the side. On what I've seen so far you'd remove Simmons, Dowrick, Button and Considine. Not sure yet whether Kustermann, Mueller and Kelly fit into the side. Waterhouse a maybe. Ward probably not.

Compared to last year's grand final team I'd have

IN: Prowse, McKinnon, Newman, Kelly, Tonon
OUT: Phillips, Mules, Gore, Hewett, Considine

Button for someone else (Ballard, Kustermann, Waterhouse etc) also a possibility

Last edited:
Won a premiership last season having the exact same problem… why change a winning formula.
Because teams either
1) Copy the winning gameplan
or
2) Devise their own to counteract the winning gameplan

If you stay still, you get overtaken.
Need to adapt

Rusty is an understatement, most looked like they’d hardly touched a football since the end of last season. Wasted some game time on some real scrubs who shouldn’t be part of this team, why Whiteley, Simmons and Dowrick got a lot of game time whilst youngsters Tonon, Kustermann and Mueller hardly appeared is a real wasted chance. Considine also, the club wasted airfares yet again.

Second half shows they’re still so reliable on the big names otherwise it really does turn into a real crapshoot also expect Clarke to again go with the experience of Rajcic and Allen in the backline, today’s performance will reinforce his belief that despite their pace issues he wants experience back there.

Few takes on some players;
  • Ballard showed some encouraging signs
  • Newman was pretty good minus the awful brain fade that cost the game; she’ll most likely somehow still find herself on the outer though
  • Button still looks half the player she used to be
  • Waterhouse has some talent but does look like she believes it’s an individual sport not a team sport
  • Woodland fell into the same bad habits she showed at the end of last season; she either drops far too many marks then takes too long to recover or she just tries to play from far too behind her opponent
  • Prowse carried on her SANFLW form & showed is ready to play AFLW consistently but needs to be be given a chance, have always said she’s a midfielder but play her forward if you have to just get her in the team anyhow, if someone like Whiteley or Simmons plays in front her I’ll be disgusted.
  • Kelly looked like she doesn’t understand Doc’s gameplan at all yet, looked lost playing on her wing… the team had such a great wing combination when Thompson and Jones played there together last year kind of don’t want them to mess with that.

Last edited:
  • Prowse carried on her SANFLW form & showed is ready to play AFLW consistently but needs to be be given a chance, have always said she’s a midfielder but play her forward if you have to just get her in the team anyhow, if someone like Whiteley or Simmons plays in front her I’ll be disgusted.

The Crows have yet to work out how to replace Phillips' role up forward. We directed a lot of ball to her 50m out from goal and relied on her to then find a target closer to goal. Whiteley is seemingly the incumbent to replace her, and truth be told she's alright at the role, but I agree that it would be worth trying Prowse in this role.

Jones had a superb last quarter, she looks ready to back up last season's performance :thumbsu:

Did McKinnon actually play today? I don't recall seeing her once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 18 AFLW captains have given their predictions for this upcoming year. At least a few of them tipped the Crows to make the GF this time, as opposed to just one (or possibly none?) last time. Melbourne are the favourites which is probably fair (they're my tip for the premiership this season).

The tips are in: Captains pick best team, B&F, Rising Star, more

Hatchard the second favourite for the league competition best and fairest behind Mon Conti, Marinoff also listed. For the lead goalkicking award the article oddly makes a point of saying nobody voted for Woodland, before showing a list where Woodland is indeed there with one vote. Someone else has picked SLT which makes me wonder if they've actually watched AFLW since 2019, unless it was Randall and she knows something we don't.

Interestingly Eloise Jones was the leader in the "which player would you recruit from another club if you could" question which is new this year, Allan and Randall also picked.

The 18 AFLW captains have given their predictions for this upcoming year. At least a few of them tipped the Crows to make the GF this time, as opposed to just one (or possibly none?) last time. Melbourne are the favourites which is probably fair (they're my tip for the premiership this season).

The tips are in: Captains pick best team, B&F, Rising Star, more

Hatchard the second favourite for the league competition best and fairest behind Mon Conti, Marinoff also listed. For the lead goalkicking award the article oddly makes a point of saying nobody voted for Woodland, before showing a list where Woodland is indeed there with one vote. Someone else has picked SLT which makes me wonder if they've actually watched AFLW since 2019, unless it was Randall and she knows something we don't.

Interestingly Eloise Jones was the leader in the "which player would you recruit from another club if you could" question which is new this year, Allan and Randall also picked.

This was interesting, Jones on the top of the list on that:

If you could recruit another player from any AFLW Club who would it be?
2 - Eloise Jones (Adelaide Crows)

This was interesting, Jones on the top of the list on that:

If you could recruit another player from any AFLW Club who would it be?
2 - Eloise Jones (Adelaide Crows)

It's a pretty smart choice, really. She had a great season earlier this year, looked fantastic in the trial match, and is still only 23 years old. Walk-up start to any midfield in the comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back