News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC has failed at almost everything since 1998. From a strong solid part of the National Football Comp we have reduced to bottom of the heap. Hell we have an almost ’homeless’ bungling image. Clean out your desk Chapo and let’s start with some ’get things done’ from Olsen. Let the organisation and purpose of this club be just football results and a divesting of the ‘looking after people’ culture, from Chairmen down, that has led us to where we are.

Last edited:
Mola Ram dislikes this very much

bring him the heart of crappy chappy

tenor.gif

AFC has failed at almost everything since 1978. From a strong solid part of the National Football Comp we have reduced to bottom of the heap. Hell we have an almost ’homeless’ bungling image. Clean out your desk Chapo and let’s start with some ’get things done’ from Olsen. Let the organisation and purpose of this club be just football results and a divesting of the ‘looking after people’ culture, from Chairmen down, that has led us to where we are.
WTF?

Given the West End Brewery announced its closing next year, would that be an appropriate site to build a new HQ and training centre? Has tram access which would be a plus too I guess. Could also maybe keep the chimney stack too if we're worried about our SANFL ties too.

With the 36ers playing at the Entertainment Centre now, could you also get them involved as well and build a basketball court and facilities for them too if there's room? Sure that's a way better prospect than using the facilities at Port they're using

It baffles me that people don't see the M.O. of the Liberal party.
Time after time, they get elected on a 'financial responsibility' platform. Their solution is to sell a significant public asset. They bank the money and say look at what a great job we have done.
We, the public, are worse off. The company that bought the asset has a monopoly and makes $$$ hand over fist (and coincidently becomes a Liberal party donor), while the asset is poorly maintained and prices sky rocket. The Liberal party have signed it off on a very long term deal (up to 99 years...) so we can't actually do anything about it once they have sold it.

It is literally rinse and repeat every time they get in power. Short term benefit to get themselves elected. Long time financial pain for the public.
That's every party, they are all mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think the SANFL is his comfort zone so he keeps referring to it

I think that with his SANFL hat on, he's of the view that there's a lot of benefits that are being needlessly lost to both organisations. But, I would expect that whatever he's thinking of would have already been discussed and considered on both sides of the equation, so what more really would there be to do. Unless he was withholding some new and exciting joint opportunities while undertaking his duties as SANFL Chairperson. It is of slight concern that he walks into the AFC and immediately starts referring to the SANFL. But that is why we have a board, not a dictator.

Agent Penbo doing our dirty work. The council should be ashamed for their conduct when our proposal was first raised. It was win/win yet the navel gazers and mouth breathers couldn’t bring themselves to do a deal. This was always the inevitable outcome - Covid or not.

It was win/win/win, you're forgetting the traffic that it would help drive to the F&B district. Even allowing a limited licence, ie 1hr before first bounce, 30 minutes after siren for away games, would result in having people on the O'Connell St doorstep that would otherwise have been watching from home or their local.

I'm warming to this appointment. Whatever people might think of Olsen's past, he has experience and contacts at "the top end", he's probably a decent operator in the corporate / AFL world, and - I hope - he knows what the role of a Chair is, and that it's not spending 40 hours a week at the club. I recently spoke to someone who has has some dealings with him, and they said he's got a good brain for strategy and the big picture.

So all in all - yeah, let's give him a go.

I'm warming to this appointment. Whatever people might think of Olsen's past, he has experience and contacts at "the top end", he's probably a decent operator in the corporate / AFL world, and - I hope - he knows what the role of a Chair is, and that it's not spending 40 hours a week at the club. I recently spoke to someone who has has some dealings with him, and they said he's got a good brain for strategy and the big picture.

I'm willing to give anyone a go as long as it's not Chapman again.

The downside to Chapman going is that i had a direct source to him which I never knew about, and would've been able to get intel from going forward :(

I'm more worried about him being a SANFL trojan horse.

Seeing as though he is the one of the people who came up with the bright idea that we pay $400k to the SANFL just to play in the league and just under a million dollars a year for 15 years to buy back a license that we'd already paid for it's a boggling decision.

If he's truly coming to the club with the best interests of the club at heart then he needs to use his "SANFL influence" to get us out of those poor deals that he pushed us into. It just seems crazy that we've brought in someone who has previously negotiated deals to our detriment believing that they will now act in the best interests of this club going forward.

If his agenda involves the club being benevolent and continuing to give ridiculous hand outs to the SANFL then the club will be locked in for another decade of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Given the West End Brewery announced its closing next year, would that be an appropriate site to build a new HQ and training centre? Has tram access which would be a plus too I guess. Could also maybe keep the chimney stack too if we're worried about our SANFL ties too.

With the 36ers playing at the Entertainment Centre now, could you also get them involved as well and build a basketball court and facilities for them too if there's room? Sure that's a way better prospect than using the facilities at Port they're using
Sounds like a pretty good idea on the surface. Close to the city without having to deal with the Adelaide City Council.

Maybe have one of the craft breweries here move to a larger development there in the process as well, and use an alliance to sell the products at our games?

I think John Olsen will always be unfairly judged.

- selling ETSA
- Selling the water grid
- Motorola thing which he was mostly cleared of.
- One way Freeway

BUT

The state was broke.
the state was broke
the state was broke
and SA had no money and billions of dollars of debt.

He was also in charge of getting the Clipsal 500 in for 1999 so it wasn't all bad under his leadership. I dont care about racing but its a good event for SA.

Being a politician and a slimy one at that, he will be good for promoting our club. All the best presidents/chairmen are scheming slime balls only concerns about their own clubs existence, I am looking forward to it.

- selling ETSA
- Selling the water grid
- One way Freeway

BUT

The state was broke.
the state was broke
the state was broke

He was also in charge of getting the Clipsal 500 in for 1999 so it wasn't all bad under his leadership. I dont care about racing but its a good event for SA.

Being a politician and a slimy one at that, he will be good for promoting our club. All the best presidents/chairmen are scheming slime balls only concerns about their own clubs existence, I am looking forward to it.
Also helped get the Tour Down Under up and running which is a much bigger event.

The expressway.... My god what a disaster

- selling ETSA
- Selling the water grid
- One way Freeway

BUT

The state was broke.
the state was broke
the state was broke

I don't know how a one way freeway managed to get SA out of debt, or justifying dodgy deals with Motorola.

Don't deepthroat the boot m8.

Back