• Total voters

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think John Olsen will always be unfairly judged.

- selling ETSA
- Selling the water grid
- Motorola thing which he was mostly cleared of.
- One way Freeway

BUT

The state was broke.
the state was broke
the state was broke
and SA had no money and billions of dollars of debt.

He was also in charge of getting the Clipsal 500 in for 1999 so it wasn't all bad under his leadership. I dont care about racing but its a good event for SA.

Being a politician and a slimy one at that, he will be good for promoting our club. All the best presidents/chairmen are scheming slime balls only concerns about their own clubs existence, I am looking forward to it.
On the surface it is a poor move, BUT, if he does for us what Eddie did for Collingwood, Koch has done for Port, what Kennett did for Hawthorn or what best still, what Peggy O'Neal has done for Richmond, then I will be very happy, and eat any critical words I have spoken about him.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
On the surface it is a poor move, BUT, if he does for us what Eddie did for Collingwood, Koch has done for Port, what Kennett did for Hawthorn or what best still, what Peggy O'Neal has done for Richmond, then I will be very happy, and eat any critical words I have spoken about him.
Is Peggy as outspoken as the other three?

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Is Peggy as outspoken as the other three?

No she isn’t, but certainly has transformed Richmond back from a sleeping giant to the powerhouse they are today.

If Olsen can have the same effect, than that would be great. Am yet to be convinced yet though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No she isn’t, but certainly has transformed Richmond back from a sleeping giant to the powerhouse they are today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Goes to show you don’t need the Barnam and Bailey types that she was pigeonholed in.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I don't know how a one way freeway managed to get SA out of debt, or justifying dodgy deals with Motorola.

Don't deepthroat the boot m8.
Back in the Day they had the money to buy the land required for a dual freeway, but not the money to build a dual freeway, so they came up with the idea to build a one-way Freeway while keeping the land for further expansion at a later date, Sounded great on paper, however, they never got the chance or money to duplicate the Freeway, and when Labour was voted back in they sold the land, which they had to buy back at a huge cost when they finally duplicated the Freeway,
Yes it was a disaster, However it was a disaster to both governments,

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Is there a side that you generally stick to? Never found that. They’re all campaigners but some campaigners work better than others.
As far as politics go you mean ??

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah.
They are all campaigners.. Theres a lot of positioning and self importance that doesnt effect my life.
I'm generally pretty neutral when it comes to the subject. Like yourself I tend to pick the ones who appear least campaignerish, which tends to be difficult.

The State Bank deal did affect the state big time though.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm generally pretty neutral when it comes to the subject. Like yourself I tend to pick the ones who appear least campaignerish, which tends to be difficult.

The State Bank deal did affect the state big time though.
The way I see it, we are where we are.
My personal gripe if anything seeing I’m a ticketed tradesman would be we could e ripped the ground open way earlier. Being held to task by big corporations that don’t want to Cede manufacturing costs through tax has turned us into a pseudo green state when at the end of the day we are gonna be rich as * cos of what’s under the ground.
lel.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Am I the only one who didn't like Olsen backing Roo in so categorically as Footy Director?

We've been nothing short of a disaster on field for the last 3 years and Olsen reckons Roo is doing a great job.

Isn't he the only one that could "demote" Roo and yet he fully endorses him before he gets his feet under the desk.

Sure he has to be diplomatic but a "Roos a great clubman, I will be reviewing all director positions in the coming months" would suffice at this stage.

Fagan can't get rid of Roo, it has to come from the Chairman/board.

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Am I the only one who didn't like Olsen backing Roo in so categorically as Footy Director?

We've been nothing short of a disaster on field for the last 3 years and Olsen reckons Roo is doing a great job.

Isn't he the only one that could "demote" Roo and yet he fully endorses him before he gets his feet under the desk.

Sure he has to be diplomatic but a "Roos a great clubman, I will be reviewing all director positions in the coming months" would suffice at this stage.

Roo was never going anywhere.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Roo was never going anywhere.

Too true, that's why I'm disappointed with Chapman picking this guy - just more of the same, keep the good ole boys train chugging along.

We can dream about a dynamic leader shaking us out of our mediocrity.

Oh well, here's to another decade of making up the numbers.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Olsen can’t get rid of Roo. It’s not his role to review any Director position

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

There is no Footy Director role in the constitution. The Chairman has no such powers. Under the AFC constitution, all Directors are equal and all powers are conferred upon Directors at properly constituted board meetings. The single extra power of the Chairman is an extra vote at those meetings where there is a tied vote. Even then, it's arguable whether that is conferred upon the Chairman or the chair of that particular meeting. Either way, only a douche would excercise that power, unless it was a decision that had a deadline that would be extremely costly to move.

The Chairman is elected by the board for a minimum period of 2 years. They can be removed by a 75% vote, but they cease to be Chairman at the conclusion of the period and would only serve again at the pleasure of the board.

1. The board hold all the power.
2. The board is made up of directors.
3. All directors are equal.

It is that simple, Chairman is a title bestowed upon a director by the board. The constitution doesn't even require a chairman or vice to be appointed. They may appoint those positions. There may be an act of parliament that requires those positions, however, the NT version for associations does not confer any extra rights to executive officeholders, just obligations, most particularly upon the treasurer, not chair or vice chair. Not sure the corporations act.

Chairman is a figurehead with no more power than anybody else that sits on the board.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I think a lot of people are missing the point about the appointment.

To me it is not about Olsen getting appointed, it is the process that sucks. Chapman thought he had the right to determine his replacement. He did this why? Ego?

Chapman has been a poor Chairman. He has seen a club lose market share to its opponent. He has seen a club fail to capitalise on what was a clear monopoly. As a banker, he should have left the club in an incredibly strong financial position. Instead we are mediocre at best.
He has seen zero premierships. He has overseen the club name be tarnished by scandals. He failed to hold anyone accountable for the Tippett disaster, instead offering up sanctions that we are still feeling. He resisted any move to hold a review at the end of 2019. He then tried to pre-empt the findings of the review. He has overseen a club culture of me first that runs from the board through to the playing group.

There is literally nothing he has done that suggests he has earnt the right to have any say at all in our direction moving forwards. He should have announced he would be stepping down and then let the board find the replacement. But no. He couldn't do it. He had to find a way to ensure that the gravy train kept flowing.

I'm not pissed at Olsen. I'm pissed at Chapman for not having one ounce of moral fortitude or self awareness.

I think a lot of people are missing the point about the appointment.

To me it is not about Olsen getting appointed, it is the process that sucks. Chapman thought he had the right to determine his replacement. He did this why? Ego?

Chapman has been a poor Chairman. He has seen a club lose market share to its opponent. He has seen a club fail to capitalise on what was a clear monopoly. As a banker, he should have left the club in an incredibly strong financial position. Instead we are mediocre at best.
He has seen zero premierships. He has overseen the club name be tarnished by scandals. He failed to hold anyone accountable for the Tippett disaster, instead offering up sanctions that we are still feeling. He resisted any move to hold a review at the end of 2019. He then tried to pre-empt the findings of the review. He has overseen a club culture of me first that runs from the board through to the playing group.

There is literally nothing he has done that suggests he has earnt the right to have any say at all in our direction moving forwards. He should have announced he would be stepping down and then let the board find the replacement. But no. He couldn't do it. He had to find a way to ensure that the gravy train kept flowing.

I'm not pissed at Olsen. I'm pissed at Chapman for not having one ounce of moral fortitude or self awareness.
This is not an unusual way to appoint a new Chair. "Board Chairs are almost always selected from among board members who are already serving (or have recently served) as experienced Committee Chairs. An exception is when an individual is specifically recruited for the role of Board Chair from outside the Board."

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
This is not an unusual way to appoint a new Chair. "Board Chairs are almost always selected from among board members who are already serving (or have recently served) as experienced Committee Chairs. An exception is when an individual is specifically recruited for the role of Board Chair from outside the Board."
Yes, but in most places the outgoing person doesn't hand pick their replacement. Imagine is Trump was allowed to do that. He should have left it to the board, not done it himself.

Yes, but in most places the outgoing person doesn't hand pick their replacement. Imagine is Trump was allowed to do that. He should have left it to the board, not done it himself.
With all due respect, most publicly listed companies I worked for over the years, the outgoing Chair hand-picked his replacement every single time (either from the board, or external appointment). It is not all that unusual.

Back