News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May I suggest a few celebratory gin and tonics.

Reality is that Chapman has been absolutely awful for this football club. Hazel is still there and we mustn't lose focus on that. With Olsen, he's old, so hopefully unenergetic. He will likely approach the role in the appropriate manner as well. Make sure all board member's input is largely consistent. He won't be doing 70 hour weeks and if he nodded while Chappy was asking whether he would, you can bet that was a political non-core nod.

Achievements in perspective

License - was this not an AFL requirement related to the AO move? Port got their's back too.
AO - nothing to do with the AFC, we just stepped into line with our SANFL masters. We were against it until they weren't. Again, Port seemed to manage this also.
Women's team - hardly unique, lots of clubs stuck up their hands for that. Fagan's genius move to link us with the NT is what got us a license.
Finances - On balance day 2019 we had about $5m in current assets against nearly $7m in current liabilities. It's not a strong financial position.

I don't really have an opinion on him either way, but curious as to the 'jobs for the boys' comments. How is he part of the boys club? Has he been involved with us previously?

May I suggest a few celebratory gin and tonics.

Reality is that Chapman has been absolutely awful for this football club. Hazel is still there and we mustn't lose focus on that. With Olsen, he's old, so hopefully unenergetic. He will likely approach the role in the appropriate manner as well. Make sure all board member's input is largely consistent. He won't be doing 70 hour weeks and if he nodded while Chappy was asking whether he would, you can bet that was a political non-core nod.

Achievements in perspective

License - was this not an AFL requirement related to the AO move? Port got their's back too.
AO - nothing to do with the AFC, we just stepped into line with our SANFL masters. We were against it until they weren't. Again, Port seemed to manage this also.
Women's team - hardly unique, lots of clubs stuck up their hands for that. Fagan's genius move to link us with the NT is what got us a license.
Finances - On balance day 2019 we had about $5m in current assets against nearly $7m in current liabilities. It's not a strong financial position.
Him not micromanaging can be a plus, but there's not many other positives that can be taken from it. There's no vision, or future planning in his appointment, it's just someone they know in their boys club who has held similar positions before and wants to do it that can hold the spot for a few years.

Still thinking it's Roo's position in a few years.

Because he's the f**kwit that privatised ETSA giving us massive power bills and did lots of dodgy deals to benefit his rich mates.

He wrecked the power once, can he do it again?

I don't really have an opinion on him either way, but curious as to the 'jobs for the boys' comments. How is he part of the boys club? Has he been involved with us previously?
He is part of the Liberal political and economic establishment. Epitome of the boys club.

Him not micromanaging can be a plus, but there's not many other positives that can be taken from it. There's no vision, or future planning in his appointment, it's just someone they know in their boys club who has held similar positions before and wants to do it that can hold the spot for a few years.

Still thinking it's Roo's position in a few years.

I'm not sure what vision we're meant to be worrying about. We're a football club. The board employ the CEO, who runs the business and employs, with board approval, the key posts. The board hold them to account for footballing and financial performance. What more is there? There's always projects on the agenda, ie facility upgrades, but I'm not sure what vision is required to be chair of a football club.

He is part of the Liberal political and economic establishment. Epitome of the boys club.
What has the liberal party got to do with the Adelaide Football club? Again, how does that make it a boys club appointment? It is only a boys club appointment if he has had dealings with the club or with people on the board before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's the f**kwit that privatised ETSA giving us massive power bills and did lots of dodgy deals to benefit his rich mates.

On top of lying to parliament with the dodgy deals to Motorola.

I don't even think Rob Chapman rated Rob Chapman time as Adelaide chairman, considering he said this in September:

“The greatest legacy you can leave is putting someone in your chair who is better than you. Of this, I am 100 per cent comfortable.”

So our two new board members this year are:

- A guy who decided hiring Steven Trigg as his company's CEO was a smart decision

- An old disgraced politician with a history of poor deals and deceit

And just to top it all off, barnacle board member Jim Hazel actually isn't leaving after all

Future of the club is bright

So our two new board members this year are:

- A guy who decided hiring Steven Trigg as his company's CEO was a smart decision

- An old disgraced politician with a history of poor deals and deceit

Future of the club is bright

Yup, I've had to put my shades on with those additions.

He did a dodgy deal with Motorola then lied about it so had to resign as Premier mid-term. A bit like Stengle/Crouch, all politicians lie but he got caught.
Also he sounds like a used car sales guy.

As a kid I remember this in the media. The Wikipedia post from earlier however suggests it wasn’t as bad as it was made out. How many politicians don’t answer questions correctly today, or just spruik garbage. No kickbacks, no crime, so who cares ?

Mike Rann was 3 times as dodgy.

- special trade mission to his wife’s home town of Italy. Of all places, what a coincidence ! Four free trips per year. How convenient.

- hundreds of thousands for unions to manage safety in the workplace. Despise legal responsibility residing with businesses. What a crock.

- and his affair with the waitress. How he got away with that i’ll Never know.

I did hear a rumour once that the bikies were thinking of assasinating him when he was pushing the anti-association laws. But probably it was probably just that. Smooth talker though, gotta give him that !

Meh.... politician lied. In other news, water is wet.

He's got the connections and nous. Is he a die hard Crows supporter ? He's a Westies lifer. That's my main concern.

But i guess he wouldn't be putting his hand up for an unpaid role if he wasn't.

At least he's a football person then. Presumably one that doesn't like seeing his team lose. Chapman had none of that and only saw the club as a personal vehicle.

He's a fully fledged member of the San-full establishment, the same entity that hand picked most of our board and put Chapman in place. The very entity that held us back for years financially for their own gain and now charging us 11.5 million to buy our own independence.

Putting Olsen in charge is essentially the equivalent of letting Max Basheer or Leigh Wicker take over the club.

The SANFL are the ones who essentially instilled the boy's club mentality at the club and this appointment shows that we still are unwilling to look any further than the SANFL when it comes to the future of the club.

Rather than chase someone new and get some new ideas, we instead hand pick someone who is going to ensure that we're the same subservient entity to the SANFL that we've been for the last 25 years.

Honestly the SANFL must laugh about the fact that they've managed to get another 11.5 million from us trying to buy our own independance and yet they've still been able to bring their trojan horse into the club to control it.

Last edited:
It baffles me that people don't see the M.O. of the Liberal party.
Time after time, they get elected on a 'financial responsibility' platform. Their solution is to sell a significant public asset. They bank the money and say look at what a great job we have done.
We, the public, are worse off. The company that bought the asset has a monopoly and makes $$$ hand over fist (and coincidently becomes a Liberal party donor), while the asset is poorly maintained and prices sky rocket. The Liberal party have signed it off on a very long term deal (up to 99 years...) so we can't actually do anything about it once they have sold it.

It is literally rinse and repeat every time they get in power. Short term benefit to get themselves elected. Long time financial pain for the public.

Back