News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing specific, just this;

He made it clear a few weeks ago that he has zero plans to step aside from his position on the board.

I can't see how anyone can preside over the disastrous period we've had, with everyone else falling on their sword or being booted, and continue to believe they're the right person for the role.

Last edited:

I can't see how anyone can preside over the disastrous period we've had, with everyone else falling on their sword or being booted, and continue to believe they're the right person for the role.

I'm 100% unsurprised he believes that, no different to the likes of Trigg, Burton and Chapman.

The direct quotes he made about the subject for those who didn't see it.

Robbo: There were massive changes to all the major positions at the football club. Why are you the last man standing?

Roo:
Some people decided to go, ala Don Pyke and Rob Chapman and Andrew Fagan, and other people were asked to go. I haven’t been asked to go, and I’ve chosen to stay in my position because there’s unfinished business. The reason I got on the board is because I wanted to make the footy club a better footy club and to win another premiership. Over 2015, ’16 and ’17, we made a lot of moves to get there and didn’t quite get the job done on Grand Final day. No doubt there’s been some mishaps after that. A year-and-a-half after that Grand Final it was quite clear we needed to rebuild. I’m not one to quit halfway through a job and that’s why I’ve chosen to stay. It’s probably been the two hardest years of my life.

Robbo: Describe hardest.

Roo:
I don’t think I’ve ever felt pressure like I have before. I love the football club and I want nothing more than this football club to be one of the most respected clubs in the AFL in the way it conducts itself and how it performs on the field and how it connects with the community. That’s the way I played. I always gave time to members and supporters, as did all of my teammates. We had a lot of pride about the way we performed and we had a lot of respect for the way we conducted ourselves off the field. The past couple of years that’s been questioned and that hasn’t sat well with me. I can understand why people have been critical. There have been a lot of difficult circumstances to deal with publicly and a lot privately as well, with former players, staff, media people, supporters. So, absolutely no doubt it’s been difficult for lots of people within the football club.

Robbo: Seriously, did you ever consider stepping away?

Roo:
No, not at all. There’s no way I would step away half through a mission.

Robbo: Why so emphatic?

Roo:
Because I thought I was the best person to do that role. If anyone told me I wasn’t, I would’ve said, ‘no dramas’. As I said before, I don’t walk away from a challenge. Anything I’ve done in my life I’ve done at 110 per cent. It would’ve been a pretty weak act by me to walk away in the last year or two.

Some people decided to go, ala Don Pyke and Rob Chapman and Andrew Fagan, and other people were asked to go.

Still covering for his useless, dickhead mates that led us into this disaster.

A year-and-a-half after that Grand Final it was quite clear we needed to rebuild.

Ok, so mid 2019 it was clear that we needed to commence a rebuild?

What steps did we take to begin this rebuild, at the time?

My recollection is we finished about 10th and were still desperately trying to make the finals, and we did SFA to commence the rebuild in the off-season.

I'm pretty sure we also had Burton/Chapman on board at the end of the year, and there was no need for an external review until Roo put his foot in it... Oh, and Burton was one of the elite operators in the AFL.

* off Roo.

It was clear we were ****ed by mid 2018; but these muppets persisted with the same strategy until the end of 2019, when it was completely obvious to all we were utterly buggered.

Maybe. He's still living in Adelaide and very supportive of the club on social media. If he was booted out, he's being very reasonable about it.

Non-disparagement agreement. It's in his best interests that people think it's totally amicable, plus it ensures an easy payout rather than lawyers at 10 paces.

playing extra nice is for the benefit of his next employer, showing just how good a team player he is

Agree there also, wonder how many levels he falls though. It's a bit like the higher draft picks retaining some value and get traded for a second on their way to continuing to be no good. I doubt he's fallen beyond A League level, but too far for well run NRL. You're in this arena a bit, if you had to bet, where's your money going? I'm thinking maybe Gil offering a desperate man a gig knowing he'll own him or something like CEO of basketball or tennis Australia if a gig comes up.

Agree there also, wonder how many levels he falls though. It's a bit like the higher draft picks retaining some value and get traded for a second on their way to continuing to be no good. I doubt he's fallen beyond A League level, but too far for well run NRL. You're in this arena a bit, if you had to bet, where's your money going? I'm thinking maybe Gil offering a desperate man a gig knowing he'll own him or something like CEO of basketball or tennis Australia if a gig comes up.

all the gigs you’re touching on, referencing, are what he’s been trying to land for last 2-2.5 years

so I don’t know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The direct quotes he made about the subject for those who didn't see it.
I can understand him not wanting to step away until the mission has been completed, while the job is half-finished.

However, he needs to take a step back and ask himself whether he's the best person to be completing the mission, or if he himself is a part of the reason why the mission needed to be undertaken in the first place.

I think his heart is in the right place - he genuinely loves the club, and is desperate for it to return to being a power house. However, he lacks the self-awareness required to realise that he's a part of the problem - not a part of the solution.

Still covering for his useless, dickhead mates that led us into this disaster.

Ok, so mid 2019 it was clear that we needed to commence a rebuild?

What steps did we take to begin this rebuild, at the time?

My recollection is we finished about 10th and were still desperately trying to make the finals, and we did SFA to commence the rebuild in the off-season.

I'm pretty sure we also had Burton/Chapman on board at the end of the year, and there was no need for an external review until Roo put his foot in it... Oh, and Burton was one of the elite operators in the AFL.

fu** off Roo.

It was clear we were f’ed by mid 2018; but these muppets persisted with the same strategy until the end of 2019, when it was completely obvious to all we were utterly buggered.
2019 was the year of the Dunstall Review, and was clearly the year when the rebuild began.

We said goodbye to Pyke, Camporeale, and Burton. We offloaded Betts, Jenkins, Keath, Greenwood, Jacobs, Douglas, and Otten, creating space on the list for 5 new draftees (the most we'd taken in years).

The rebuild continued on & off-field in 2020, with almost all of our assistant coaches being cleaned out, along with further major changes to our playing list.

In 2019 we had the oldest team in the AFL, by 2021 we had the youngest. That didn't all happen at the end of 2020.

I can understand him not wanting to step away until the mission has been completed, while the job is half-finished.

However, he needs to take a step back and ask himself whether he's the best person to be completing the mission, or if he himself is a part of the reason why the mission needed to be undertaken in the first place.

I think his heart is in the right place - he genuinely loves the club, and is desperate for it to return to being a power house. However, he lacks the self-awareness required to realise that he's a part of the problem - not a part of the solution.

Agree totally.

The reality is, when you * up as badly as Roo has, you shouldn’t retain the right to decide whether you’re the right man to fix it.

2019 was the year of the Dunstall Review, and was clearly the year when the rebuild began.

That didn't all happen at the end of 2020.

Roo said it was clear mid 2019 a rebuild was required - yet we continued to push for finals, and the external review was actively talked down as not required until Roo told us all to go support another club.

It’s revisionist bullshit to suggest the rebuild commenced mid 2019.

Roo said it was clear mid 2019 a rebuild was required - yet we continued to push for finals, and the external review was actively talked down as not required until Roo told us all to go support another club.

It was definitely underway by the end of 2019, given all of the on & off-field changes which occurred at that time.

Precisely when, in 2019, it began, is debatable - but it definitely started before the trade period.

If Roo didn't make those comments I have serious doubts to as if the review would have taken place. He then, along with Chapman made sure any review stayed as far away from the board as possible (Which is why Chapman's comments about Dunstall saying he was doing great were laughable).

I would find it interesting to see what Olsen's review of the board uncovered, but he might not have the numbers yet to get Roo off the board if he wanted to. That would be a very tricky situation to deal with, especially given Ricciouto's status in the fanbase, with many giving him a constant pass for his failings because of his previous service and love for the club.

By late 2019 we still had Chapman and Roo denying we needed a review. Chappy was adamant that Burton was an elite football manager.

Back