News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched his video and a couple of things came to mind. He’s well spoken and a lot more sprightly for 75 than I thought he’d be. When he says strengthen ties to SANFL, he actually said strengthen ties to the SANFL clubs that helped form us. That’s significantly different I think. In any case Chapman has gone. That’s a good point. It remains to be seen what Olsen will be like so I’ll reserve judgement.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I had to stop before I vomited reading all the comments about “What a fantastic job Chappy has done for the last 14 years. You will be missed. Big shoes to fill.”

Really? Are we following the same club? We’re doomed.
Clown shoes

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I don’t know why I do it, morbid curiosity I spose, but too often I go down the rabbit hole of reading the comments on social media.

I had to stop before I vomited reading all the comments about “What a fantastic job Chappy has done for the last 14 years. You will be missed. Big shoes to fill.”

Really? Are we following the same club? We’re doomed.
Wait until you hear about democracy

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone listen to Blighty after the 5aa drugs-are-bad variety show?

in regards to Olsen, he said something like he was pleased that Olsen made a point that the point of the club is to win premierships. Made a vast difference from the previous chair who saw the role of the club to generate income - which was something that somebody who is no longer involved with the club told Blighty was the dominant focus of Chapman.

If Olsen can deliver:
- a city base that appeals to members and players/staff alike
- rebadged logo
- support increased investment in the football department
- improved media relations with the club no longer being the butt of all jokes and every molehill being reported as a mountain

then he'll have done as much as we can hope for. Its then up to the coaches and players to deliver.
I noticed that too. I can’t recall our leaders using the P word too often.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
I would laugh aloud, but I strongly suggest you look it up, Our SANFL is still independent,

Yep, totally independent. The SANFL operate on what they are able to generate*

* If you ignore around the $10 million syphoned from us (and Port) each year.

SANFL are also custodians of junior development in the state, so a pretty important mandate.

Agreed very important mandate but they would have to be the worst custodians possible, the last twenty years of junior development has been deplorable.

For the dollars they are gifted from us every year the returns are embarrassing, check out our current State of Origin side.

But those huge replay screens sure are neat.

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was sceptical before watching the presser, but slightly warming to this decision.

There’s no denying Olsen was a dodgy character in the past, but who is to say his frustrations as a Crows fan with our lack of success over the years is any less than our own? I think when he was talking about 97 flag, women’s GF and being a long term fan, he comes across as genuine – more so than Chapman.

When you consider he was last in politics some 20 years ago, a lot of time has passed. Compared to other past politicians I think he’s managed to keep a relatively low profile and out of trouble since.

I like that he’s focused on premierships and that he called this year a fail for the club, as opposed to the spin from Chapman that we’ve become accustomed to. Also feel that he’d be more likely to back up our club against the AFL as opposed what we’ve seen before.

Chapman asked was about his legacy – couldn’t really answer the question, also trying to claim some credit over any future success. Think I also heard him saying we’re one year into a rebuild and throwing Reid under the bus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CROUCH #2

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hate to say it but Olsen is well connected and the club has some plans that need movement.

Behind all success is a little bit of dodge, that's why the saying is:
"Not what you know, it's who you know"

I'm not as worried with this selection

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Just heard him on AA with Will and Pembo.

My one concern is the talk of strengthening ties between us and the SANFL. Why?

I think we need to join an AFL Reserves league. And they already take money from us via the SMA. Something he negotiated.

Other than that pretty much everything else he said sounds good.

He has a proven track record of standing up to the AFL. A great negotiator and does not take on a job to promote his own ego or persona.

Hopefully he is in the role to help our club get stronger, not the SANFL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just heard him on AA with Will and Pembo.

My one concern is the talk of strengthening ties between us and the SANFL. Why?

I think we need to join an AFL Reserves league. And they already take money from us via the SMA. Something he negotiated.

Other than that pretty much everything else he said sounds good.

He has a proven track record of standing up to the AFL. A great negotiator and does not take on a job to promote his own ego or persona.

Hopefully he is in the role to help our club get stronger, not the SANFL.

i think the SANFL is his comfort zone so he keeps referring to it

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I wonder if this is still an option.

I got told ages ago, and posted here if the deal fir us to take over fell through it is highly likely it would be mothballed.

ACC can't afford the renovation costs.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder if this is still an option.

Agent Penbo doing our dirty work. The council should be ashamed for their conduct when our proposal was first raised. It was win/win yet the navel gazers and mouth breathers couldn’t bring themselves to do a deal. This was always the inevitable outcome - Covid or not.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone listen to Blighty after the 5aa drugs-are-bad variety show?

in regards to Olsen, he said something like he was pleased that Olsen made a point that the point of the club is to win premierships. Made a vast difference from the previous chair who saw the role of the club to generate income - which was something that somebody who is no longer involved with the club told Blighty was the dominant focus of Chapman.

If Olsen can deliver:
- a city base that appeals to members and players/staff alike
- rebadged logo
- support increased investment in the football department
- improved media relations with the club no longer being the butt of all jokes and every molehill being reported as a mountain

then he'll have done as much as we can hope for. Its then up to the coaches and players to deliver.

I sense that the dealings with media is changing already. Hope so. We don’t need more than 17 enemies.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agent Penbo doing our dirty work. The council should be ashamed for their conduct when our proposal was first raised. It was win/win yet the navel gazers and mouth breathers couldn’t bring themselves to do a deal. This was always the inevitable outcome - Covid or not.

The Establishment rules in Adelaide, and bewilderingly a good percentage of that has PA leanings. Inexplicable......

Back