News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
A great shame the MATS plan was scrapped.

NS corridor is a legacy, also allowed for the OBahn. SE Freeway also part of it

Would have been a lot better if it was done earlier and completed.

Not to mention retaining the light rail system.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

yep. Politicians are driven by their own politics. Great isn’t it! Never let the welfare of the people get in the way of the wealth of your big end of town mates and their ownership of public utility assets. It’s sick. Anyway I’m gonna go with Olsen. Wait a sec.....can AFC be privatised, or have we already been taken over by Vic.?
I hope he shakes the board up.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Everything at the club makes a lot more sense when you realise they fired Sanderson for straying too far from the Neil Craig days and every move since then has been an attempt to return the Crows to the state they were in during that era.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Everything at the club makes a lot more sense when you realise they fired Sanderson for straying too far from the Neil Craig days and every move since then has been an attempt to return the Crows to the state they were in during that era.
That's not quite why the fired Sando.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
It certainly feels that way

People at the club (Trigg, Chapman, Ricciuto) bought in heavily to the Craig model that was very nearly successful.

Appointments like Pyke, Burton and now van Berlo tap into that period.

As long as we are shrewd enough to retain the good things from that era, discard the bad plus add in good things picked up elsewhere (VB at West Coast) then there's no problem. If all we retain is slavish devotion to tenure then we're in for more of the same.

Will Olsen have any particular stamp on the club? Or is he a figurehead only, likely to stand by while the club continues on whatever path it's currently on?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We'd won one finals game in five years

If we were talented then so was almost every club
That probably had more to do with the coach in charge. The players were by and large the same from 11 to 12 and yet we found ourselves a kick from a GF.

But yeah we didn't have any talent in that squad ....

That probably had more to do with the coach in charge. The players were by and large the same from 11 to 12 and yet we found ourselves a kick from a GF.

That was his (and the club's) undoing IMO. We stopped trying to get better and had a sook whenever things didn't go our way.

We lost a lot of games due to either poor efficiency going forward, or poor matchups around the ground.

Port were similar after the 2014 PF.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

We were the only club to play both expansion teams twice, so there was a bit of a leg up there. They did play some good footy though.

Some basic things worked effectively to the strengths of the personnel. Sauce tap down to Thompson, hack kick to Tippett out of the middle, set up a lot of scores for example.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You're arguing that it wasn't due to the coach remember

Just an uber talented, super fit crew that anyone would have had success with
Which it was, but I'm not sure we sacked Sando purely because of his coaching ability.

That's not to say he was great either

You're arguing that it wasn't due to the coach remember

Just an uber talented, super fit crew that anyone would have had success with

That's my opinion on us under Pyke actually. I think we would have had virtually the same results if Campo had stayed in the top job.

I don't think Pyke ever really had buy-in from the players - they were doing it for Walsh.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We were the only club to play both expansion teams twice, so there was a bit of a leg up there. They did play some good footy though.

Some basic things worked well given the personnel. Sauce tap down to Thompson, hack kick to Tippett out of the middle set up a lot of scores for example.
And a Flying Mullet who was on the verge of taking over the world

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
And a Flying Mullet who was on the verge of taking over the world
Ideal pairing with the contested marking of Tippett who took the best defender.

Eddie Betts would have been interesting in that side.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wasn't the issue with Sando to do with his ability to deal with the players?

From what I recall a lot of stories came out that he spent 90% of his focus on our best dozen and many of our young kids didn't EVER get to speak to him.

So while he certainly bought about a successful game plan in his first year, he very quickly lost a large part of the playing list and so we tumble down the ladder.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
It certainly feels that way

People at the club (Trigg, Chapman, Ricciuto) bought in heavily to the Craig model that was very nearly successful.

Appointments like Pyke, Burton and now van Berlo tap into that period.

As long as we are shrewd enough to retain the good things from that era, discard the bad plus add in good things picked up elsewhere (VB at West Coast) then there's no problem. If all we retain is slavish devotion to tenure then we're in for more of the same.

Will Olsen have any particular stamp on the club? Or is he a figurehead only, likely to stand by while the club continues on whatever path it's currently on?
Re Olsen being a Figure Head, you don't become the state leader being a figurehead, Olsen will make his own moves, either good ones or bad ones time will tell on that one,

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

From what I recall a lot of stories came out that he spent 90% of his focus on our best dozen and many of our young kids didn't EVER get to speak to him.

So while he certainly bought about a successful game plan in his first year, he very quickly lost a large part of the playing list and so we tumble down the ladder.
I'm not even sure it was a dozen of them

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

There are numerous good reasons one would get rid of Sanderson after 2014. The reason the Adelaide Football Club chose is not one of those good reasons.

Back