News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
“The point I would make is the time you spend on looking after ‘non-core’ functions is time that you’re not committed to the core function,” Olsen said.”

Funnily enough that’s the point I’ve been making from the start

If it's earning enough and is just a line item in consolidated financials and an ongoing agenda item at board meetings, there's no problem. But we know it was never that. Esports and Baseball are easy to assess as failures, there's no doubt. I wonder how much our internal commercial production arm is costing us. In $ and focus.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
“The point I would make is the time you spend on looking after ‘non-core’ functions is time that you’re not committed to the core function,” Olsen said.”

Funnily enough that’s the point I’ve been making from the start
Doesn't it come down to whether it brings in more money than it costs to operate? If we're hiring staff whos sole purpose is to run these operations and it brings us in revenue, I don't see the issue with it. These staff aren't ones that are going to make a lick of difference what happens in football however they might contribute towards us bringing in more money to spend on football.

I suppose it still goes discussed at senior management and board level but if they're making cash then I don't see the issue as long as it's not taking time away from our football department.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doesn't it come down to whether it brings in more money than it costs to operate? If we're hiring staff whos sole purpose is to run these operations and it brings us in revenue, I don't see the issue with it. These staff aren't ones that are going to make a lick of difference what happens in football however they might contribute towards us bringing in more money to spend on football.

I suppose it still goes discussed at senior management and board level but if they're making cash then I don't see the issue as long as it's not taking time away from our football department.

staff still need to be managed, decisions needed to be assessed, strategies devised

if all you want is net positive returns, buy stocks

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I'm happy for the Crows to buy an esports team, or a baseball team, or netball team or even the 36ers.

IF we use it to build our own brand. All would have to be re-named (which would be devastating for the 36ers, but hell if the Melbourne Tigers can be re-named...)

If we were to become this super powerful conglomerate that included the Adelaide Crows men, Adelaide Crows women, Adelaide Crows esports, Adelaide Crows Baseball, Adelaide Crows Netball, Adelaide Crows Basketball etc... then I could see some real worth in it.

Buying it, having it 'cost neutral' (at best) and not having it under your brand name, seems utterly stupid and pointless.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
staff still need to be managed, decisions needed to be assessed, strategies devised

if all you want is net positive returns, buy stocks

Bloody hell, imagine our buffoons working out which stocks to buy.

"I think Blockbuster Video will make a comeback, this online movie business is just a fad"

"Good idea, I think digital cameras are a joke, people still want to get their photos to put into their albums, Kodaks shares are cheap at the moment."

"I think Blockbuster Video will make a comeback, this online movie business is just a fad"

"Good idea, I think digital cameras are a joke, people still want to get their photos to put into their albums, Kodaks shares are cheap at the moment."

Roo got sucked in by that Phil Rankine bloke too didn't he?

I'm sure he's still happily forking out his credit card details to several Nigerian princes too.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Forgot about that one, Firepower I think it was called.
Yep, Firepower. Roo, Carey, Goodwin, Brett Burton, Neil Craig and a few other Crows players all got sucked in on that scam. Basically all the guys in Roo's crew that he convinced it was a sure-fire thing.

Guy who ran the scam convinced the team he was gonna get Pavlich back to SA by offering him a huge sponsorship deal as well.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Yep, Firepower. Roo, Carey, Goodwin, Brett Burton, Neil Craig and a few other Crows players all got sucked in on that scam. Basically all the guys in Roo's crew that he convinced it was a sure-fire thing.

Guy who ran the scam convinced the team he was gonna get Pavlich back to SA by offering him a huge sponsorship deal as well.
This is such a defamatory comment to make about someone.

Professional advisors were caught up in it , getting people to invest millions which was lost.

I get you think you are smarter than everyone else, but your post just makes you look like a simpleton with a grudge

Forgot about that one, Firepower I think it was called.

The Rankine one was more recent. It was to do with scamming people out of money to pay for international musicians/bands to tour.

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is such a defamatory comment to make about someone.

Professional advisors were caught up in it , getting people to invest millions which was lost.

I get you think you are smarter than everyone else, but your post just makes you look like a simpleton with a grudge
Firepower was a transparent scam from the beginning.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
The Rankine one was more recent. It was to do with scamming people out of money to pay for international musicians/bands to tour.
Yeah, Phil Rankine took investment for touring music projects and it's alleged that there was a lot of falsehoods about where the money was going and what was actually real.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

This post is kind of funny given all those people making millions on meme stocks right now.

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm happy for the Crows to buy an esports team, or a baseball team, or netball team or even the 36ers.

IF we use it to build our own brand. All would have to be re-named (which would be devastating for the 36ers, but hell if the Melbourne Tigers can be re-named...)

If we were to become this super powerful conglomerate that included the Adelaide Crows men, Adelaide Crows women, Adelaide Crows esports, Adelaide Crows Baseball, Adelaide Crows Netball, Adelaide Crows Basketball etc... then I could see some real worth in it.

Buying it, having it 'cost neutral' (at best) and not having it under your brand name, seems utterly stupid and pointless.

This is what I was pondering on Saturday watching our girls run around.
I will be honest, if the AFC did not have a team in the AFLW I most likely wouldn’t watch it.
Stick an AFC badge on it and I am invested.
The same goes for video games, baseball etc, rebrand and the supporters will follow.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Something like E-Sports I don't think it really matters, it's just about going to potential sponsors and showing the kind of eye balls their brand can reach. Baseball on the other hand I agree with.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Something like E-Sports I don't think it really matters, it's just about going to potential sponsors and showing the kind of eye balls their brand can reach. Baseball on the other hand I agree with.

If we were creating an ABL team from scratch than I’d be all for calling them the Crows (ala GWS and Collingwood in the netball).

The difference with the Giants (or Bite at the time of acquisition) is that they were already an established franchise. To rebadge them as the Crows would not only crap all over the heritage of the Bite/Giants, but would alienate the Bite/Giants fans that aren’t Crows fans.

The Thunderbirds learnt this the hard way when Port sponsored them in the late 2000’s - a misstep they still haven’t fully recovered from.

Roo got sucked in by that Phil Rankine bloke too didn't he?

I'm sure he's still happily forking out his credit card details to several Nigerian princes too.
Firepower...

Roo, Burton, Goody, Carey & many others...

Firepower was a transparent scam from the beginning.
Yes, one of Carey's best mates & ex business partner is married to my cousin... & he tried talking me, my brother & Dad into buying firepower.

Told my family it's too good to be true & a scam & steer clear.

Cost my cousin lots of money to recover the losses. Fortunately she has an executive role, but put a strain on things...

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, one of Carey's best mates & ex business partner is married to my cousin... & he tried talking me, my brother & Dad into buying firepower.

Told my family it's too good to be true & a scam & steer clear.

Cost my cousin lots of money to recover the losses. Fortunately she has an executive role, but put a strain on things...
Sprigger?

Back