Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
If we were creating an ABL team from scratch than I’d be all for calling them the Crows (ala GWS and Collingwood in the netball).

The difference with the Giants (or Bite at the time of acquisition) is that they were already an established franchise. To rebadge them as the Crows would not only crap all over the heritage of the Bite/Giants, but would alienate the Bite/Giants fans that aren’t Crows fans.

The Thunderbirds learnt this the hard way when Port sponsored them in the late 2000’s - a misstep they still haven’t fully recovered from.
The fact that the 'established' team changed names again certainly suggests it could easily have been The Crows rather than Giants or Bite.
The Thunderbirds made a mistake in that it was a temporary sponsorship arrangement. You should not change your name for something like that. If it was purchased and became a permanent change it is not such a big deal.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The fact that the 'established' team changed names again certainly suggests it could easily have been The Crows rather than Giants or Bite.
The Thunderbirds made a mistake in that it was a temporary sponsorship arrangement. You should not change your name for something like that. If it was purchased and became a permanent change it is not such a big deal.

The Giants were our ABL team in the first version of the competition in the 90's, and a throwback game the Bite had just before the acquisition by the AFC was very popular (which probably played a major role in reverting the name back to the Giants).

There was historical context behind renaming the baseball side the Giants. Rebranding them the Crows would've been, at best, controversial, and at worst, disastrous.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
We should be pushing for our reserves to be in the newly created Eastern footy competition, my worry is that Olsen doesn't want to take away our $400k per year (plus the income the SANFL clubs for hosting our away games) from the SANFL.

Be so much better, our whole squad could travel as one when we play games on the Eastern seaboard.

Our reserves could wear OUR CLUB jumper, not some mish mash, after all they are our reserves team not the bloody Ravens.

Have past players staying on after they retire from the AFL to top up the list numbers.

The reserves playing to the same rules as the senior side and not have a bye every second week.

As long as my arse points down our club will not push for this as it would relegate the SANFL down to the 3rd or 4th tier competition, Olsens heart still belongs to the SANFL competition.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We should be pushing for our reserves to be in the newly created Eastern footy competition, my worry is that Olsen doesn't want to take away our $400k per year (plus the income the SANFL clubs for hosting our away games) from the SANFL.

Be so much better, our whole squad could travel as one when we play games on the Eastern seaboard.

Seems like implications for team unity & by extension player retention would be significant here. Hope we push hard in this direction.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Our reserves could wear OUR CLUB jumper, not some mish mash, after all they are our reserves team not the bloody Ravens.

Have past players staying on after they retire from the AFL to top up the list numbers.

The reserves playing to the same rules as the senior side and not have a bye every second week.

As long as my arse points down our club will not push for this as it would relegate the SANFL down to the 3rd or 4th tier competition, Olsens heart still belongs to the SANFL competition.

Yep, he'll keep us firmly teathered to the SANFL, propping up a dying league.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
SANFL ran fine last year with us and Port not in the league, you may find they don't see it worth having the competition "compromised" for a $400K gain going forward.

I would be very surprised and very happy if that was the case

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
SANFL ran fine last year with us and Port not in the league, you may find they don't see it worth having the competition "compromised" for a $400K gain going forward.
How much did the SANFL players get paid in 2020?

The players might take the wage haircut for a year but I doubt that's viable into the future....better money playing in the lower leagues/country without the training expectations.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

The same League that nurtures the youngsters coming through the ranks?

2020 draftees Riley Thilthorpe, Luke Pedlar, Brayden Cook, James Rowe, James Borlase and Tariek Newchurch all products of that League.

Might be a case of "you never know what you have until it's gone".

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

I agree.

The SANFL were basically dragged kicking and screaming to an agreement of AFC joining. I don't see a disadvantage (other than fiscal) for us to not join the VFL as it's now called (still).

What's the benefit of staying in the SANFL? I guess it's a higher level comp?

I agree.

The SANFL were basically dragged kicking and screaming to an agreement of AFC joining. I don't see a disadvantage (other than fiscal) for us to not join the VFL as it's now called (still).

Lower costs would be my guess. As much as you have the initial 400k fee for the SANFL, moving 22 (> if we wanted to bring injury coverage) players + extra coaches interstate and giving them hotels and such would add up pretty quickly if you were doing that for 11 games.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

2020 draftees Riley Thilthorpe, Luke Pedlar, Brayden Cook, James Rowe, James Borlase and Tariek Newchurch all products of that League.

So keep the under 18s and throw away the rest.

We as an AFL club shouldn't be propping up an adult league that very few care about and that has done its best to use us as their cash cow since we first joined the AFL.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I agree.

From memory, ultimately it was Norwood that was dragged kicking and screaming to allowing the AFL reserves sides in the comp.

Centrals were always going to say no, no matter what. South stayed in the no camp. Norwood were going to vote against it until they allegedly got pressure from their sponsors. The other clubs ultimately were supportive of the admission of the AFL reserves sides to the SANFL.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

We as an AFL club shouldn't be propping up an adult league that very few care about and that has done its best to use us as their cash cow since we first joined the AFL.
Yeah and what volunteer group do you suggest organise and run it successfully?

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I can’t escape the feeling that Hazel was a bit of a puppet master.

0CD20011-5449-4D89-945E-B4067A8AC457.gif

so... are we in the SANFL this year, where are we up to?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Very bizarre idea.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

Not sure if you are talking about the VFL or the SANFL?

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints

We have bankrolled the SANFL for the last twenty years, we don't get priority access to any* of these youngsters.

Over those 20 years the SANFL elite junior development has been abysmal - just check our current hypothetical State of Origin side. A couple of good potential players in the last few years doesn't make up for the wasteland that has been the SANFL junior development. Certainly has not been "good bang for our bucks".

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Look if they want to keep running the adults competition, I really don't give a sh*t.

I just don't want us subsidizing it.

Heard the SANFL CEO on 5AA this arvo, they are still pushing us to pay $400k for last season.

Typical SANFL mentality, always wanting hand outs.

Other business who had Covid cancellations had to suck it up but not the good old boys from the SANFL.

Surprisingly we haven't rolled over and already coughed it up, we are still in "discussions" apparently.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heard the SANFL CEO on 5AA this arvo, they are still pushing us to pay $400k for last season.

Typical SANFL mentality, always wanting hand outs.

Other business who had Covid cancellations had to suck it up but not the good old boys from the SANFL.

Surprisingly we haven't rolled over and already coughed it up, we are still in "discussions" apparently.
What happens if we don’t pay?

Back