Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
What happens if we don’t pay?

The umpires won't give us any free kicks, we can't wear our jumper or be known as the Crows, be restricted on how many AFL listed payers can play in the finals, we won't get any games as the home side.......

Damn, I'm not sure what's left??

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Maybe we will only be allowed to kick using our left foot, hang on then we will be accused of not playing to win.

Oh s**t but then we will be accused of being too strong....

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heard the SANFL CEO on 5AA this arvo, they are still pushing us to pay $400k for last season.

Typical SANFL mentality, always wanting hand outs.

Other business who had Covid cancellations had to suck it up but not the good old boys from the SANFL.

Surprisingly we haven't rolled over and already coughed it up, we are still in "discussions" apparently.

with our chairman we will 100% roll over.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I have a few questions regarding Olsen's strategy that maybe some people with a better knowledge of the club's financials could shed some light on.

It's all well and good to say Olsen is a SANFL stooge but surely he still has to sell his ideas to the board in a way that shows he's putting the club's interest first. If it's true that he wants the Crows tied more closely to the SANFL, I'm trying to get my head around how that benefits the club? As far as I'm aware they don't make any damn money and we certainly won't be getting preferential access to players. Is the whole upside of Olsen's strategy supposed to the development at Thebarton?

That leads into my second question about Thebby, I thought the whole point of moving our club rooms was to get a nice centralised location in the CBD. Is it really worth it to sell our souls to the SANFL if all we're getting is more club rooms at a suburban oval (albeit closer to the city)? Also what happens to that expensive training facility we built in West Lakes?

I have a few questions regarding Olsen's strategy that maybe some people with a better knowledge of the club's financials could shed some light on.

It's all well and good to say Olsen is a SANFL stooge but surely he still has to sell his ideas to the board in a way that shows he's putting the club's interest first. If it's true that he wants the Crows tied more closely to the SANFL, I'm trying to get my head around how that benefits the club? As far as I'm aware they don't make any damn money and we certainly won't be getting preferential access to players. Is the whole upside of Olsen's strategy supposed to the development at Thebarton?

That leads into my second question about Thebby, I thought the whole point of moving our club rooms was to get a nice centralised location in the CBD. Is it really worth it to sell our souls to the SANFL if all we're getting is more club rooms at a suburban oval (albeit closer to the city)? Also what happens to that expensive training facility we built in West Lakes?

Most likely, it gets demolished.

We've gone past its shelf life, so it's not a big waste.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

I just don't get what benefits Thebarton has over West Lakes. It's not significantly better in terms of access etc... It's not within walking distance or tram ride from Adelaide Oval.
Olsen talked about West Lakes being a construction site. So our plan is to move from one construction site (which is finishing) to another?

For me Thebarton is just another West Lakes - but one we have to 'co-tenant' with the SANFL.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I just don't get what benefits Thebarton has over West Lakes. It's not significantly better in terms of access etc... It's not within walking distance or tram ride from Adelaide Oval.
Olsen talked about West Lakes being a construction site. So our plan is to move from one construction site (which is finishing) to another?

For me Thebarton is just another West Lakes - but one we have to 'co-tenant' with the SANFL.
If you can't tell the difference that's on you.

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Listening to Olsen’s interview on MMM, the AFC want to decide on a location by mid year. I don’t think Thebby is set in stone as yet.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
What am I missing? What is the clear benefit?
For starters it's a brand new facility, that will be significantly funded by govt already.... It'll give us 3 ovals which we desperately need.

And it's not overridden by houses.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
For starters it's a brand new facility, that will be significantly funded by govt already.... It'll give us 3 ovals which we desperately need.

And it's not overridden by houses.
3 ovals?? What?! I don't think so.

Overriden by houses? I didn't know they were building on the oval at West Lakes.

As for a brand new facility, the $20m we spent on the previous one isn't exactly crumbling around our ears.

Sure a new facility would be nice, but it hardly seems absolutely necessary.

I'm still not seeing the absolute benefit that justifies the bank loan that will be required.

3 ovals?? What?! I don't think so.

Overriden by houses? I didn't know they were building on the oval at West Lakes.

As for a brand new facility, the $20m we spent on the previous one isn't exactly crumbling around our ears.

Sure a new facility would be nice, but it hardly seems absolutely necessary.

I'm still not seeing the absolute benefit that justifies the bank loan that will be required.

Reply to your last post: Two ovals at Thebarton compared to one at West Lakes and a proper home ground for our AFLW and reserves side (once a national comp is up and running, which is likely < 5 years away at this point in time). Really, the big benefit of any move is just the new training facilities, with the location not being that important, outside of price.

In terms of access, it's a non-starter of an issue as we shouldn't be wasting money in anything for supporters here, outside of maybe a cafe.

Reply to the bold:

Relatively, it is. That facility we spent $20m on a decade ago is woefully out of date (to the point it's the oldest facility in the league). The question is whether we spend $65 mil at West Lakes and anchor ourselves there, or we go elsewhere?

Training facilities have about a shelf life of 7-10 years.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reply to your last post: Two ovals at Thebarton compared to one at West Lakes and a proper home ground for our AFLW and reserves side (once a national comp is up and running, which is likely < 5 years away at this point in time). Really, the big benefit of any move is just the new training facilities, with the location not being that important, outside of price.

In terms of access, it's a non-starter of an issue as we shouldn't be wasting money in anything for supporters here, outside of maybe a cafe.

Reply to the bold:

Relatively, it is. That facility we spent $20m on a decade ago is woefully out of date (to the point it's the oldest facility in the league). The question is whether we spend $65 mil at West Lakes and anchor ourselves there, or we go elsewhere?

Yep, after we did the West Lakes upgrade pretty much every other club got new facilities through government/council partnerships etc. Might be good enough but certainly wouldn't be leading the pack.

Yep, after we did the West Lakes upgrade pretty much every other club got new facilities through government/council partnerships etc. Might be good enough but certainly wouldn't be leading the pack.

There is a serious "keeping up with the Joneses" with training facilities. If you are the one with the older facility, you have issues.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints

I thought we had a limited time remaining at West Lakes (20 odd years??) so the developer could complete their grand plan.

So we have to move at some time, if our current training facilities are nearing the end of their life a move make sense.

Whilst a location in the CBD sounds great the amount of compromise would render the move unsuitable.

The Thebby site is closer to the city, easier to get to than West Lakes, big enough for multiple ovals, able to host our womens team.

The BIG downside is the SANFL being involved, be better to pay out their lease, add a sweetener and send them on their way.

Back