News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we're doing it right Legacy would be a loss. Legacy could be cash positive if we wanted but it wouldn't be a large profit. In 10 - 15 years time esports will be a bigger industry than any league around the globe so in 10-15 years time owning Australias biggest esports organisation will be a very valuable investment and that's why we own legacy and why we would be running legacy at a loss rather than to generate profit. We need to invest into legacy to make them bigger and better than any of their competitors in the country, we need to push them to the top of the ladder rather than just let them live within their means and pocket a few $k each year. We need to push the side up so that when (and it's not an "if" it's a "when") the big money starts rolling into aus eSports we are the obvious choice to choose.

eSports is also a very fertile ground for sports psychology research since you take away pure athletic ability, injuries, umpire error & weather conditions so a players mindset and how it affects performance becomes much more important and measurable. eSports will help make many breakthroughs in sports psychology that will be taken back to regular sports to improve performance (the whole camp fiasco shows how little we know about sports psychology and what will and won't improve performance) and that's why many sporting organisations are so keen to get into eSports, they want to be the first to get that IP.

Fancy a monorail?

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Then why did we purchase a team? Surely we'd just recruit players and start our own and enter them in a league.

Edit- rhetorical question. There's no razzle dazzle in just starting a team. To get the cheer squad going you've got to acquire one.

The champions league is the richest football competition in the richest game in the world.

I think we should buy Adelaide United and wait for all that sweet sweet cash from when we play Juventus home and away in the champions league group stages.

This is the same logic from the gurners who mumble esports like it’s a magical answer to all questions

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
The champions league is the richest football competition in the richest game in the world.

I think we should buy Adelaide United and wait for all that sweet sweet cash from when we play Juventus home and away in the champions league group stages.

This is the same logic from the gurners who mumble esports like it’s a magical answer to all questions
I am curious to know how you would grow our revenues.

Educate us smart guy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are there any meaningful barriers to entry at this level of competition?
It needs qualification, which would have been a minimum 2 years in lower leagues. They are no longer accepting teams into challengers , but I guess it would be a question of how much money you had to hand over.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Find me a Cleveland Cavs logo here please https://shop.100thieves.com/

There's hardly a reference to the Cavs on their website.

As opposed to say this team - https://www.goldenguardians.com/ - who were actually formed by the GS Warriors (similar to the Bombers) who use the GSW logo.

The point being that, amongst gamers, the team brand has far more value and brand awareness (hence value) than the pro-sport club backing them. An established team like Legacy has more brand worth than the Crows in this space.

So how much increase in profits are you expecting from this investment? Does $5m sound about right?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
They're not marketing to Crows fans though.

Find me a Crows Logo here: http://web.theabl.com.au/index.jsp?sid=t4064

There are tons of examples of companies buying other companies and being largely silent and invisible. Find me a Facebook logo here for example: https://www.instagram.com/

I'm sure the "idea" with Legacy is to participate in what is seen as a growing sector with a global base. It's speculative but cheap and it provides access to markets we would not otherwise have access to at all. The Crows brand has no value in those markets, the Legacy brand does. The Crows leveraging the Legacy brand is smart. Most Crows supporters who give a s**t already know we own them, and most gamers couldn't care less. What value would there be in re-branding them Crows, or re-theming them red blue and gold? None, possibly negative.

I can't see what the problem is. We've spent a piddly amount of money on a venture into another market. It's largely self funding. The team is moderately successful in this region. It can improve with the backing we are giving it. E-Sports may grow in this country over time, and we are at the ground floor of that growth, which gives us an upside and a head start. If E-Sports doesn't grow, so what? we haven't lost much, and the experience gained in the space may lead us to venture into overseas team ownership, where there is money.

It's not supposed to be a financial bonanza, although those here opposed would have us believe thats the KPI for success. It's a venture.

It doesn't need to be a financial bonanza, nobody has suggested that at all. The point of gaining extra revenue streams is to invest those surpluses into our footy dept so that we maximise our chances of winning AFL premierships.

Your view is that it doesn't matter if this venture drains resources. You don't care if it reduces our spending power and thereby reducing our chances of ultimate success.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
There's existing infrastructure, sponsorships and relationships that Legacy already held, plus some brand equity.

You're a funny one, always looking for things to s**t on.

how about you list the infrastructure, sponsorships and relationships. Let's face it, you have NFI. You're just using our decision as proof that it was right without any personal understanding whatsoever. You're an idiot.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d seek a refund if I were you

did you just "I am rubber you are glue", "no, you are" me? The wittiest retorts come from the primary school playground.

I know your type, why don't you just skip to the part where you tell me how big your IQ is and save us some time. I promise to pretend I believe you and to act impressed.

Back