News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
How the hell has Sanders not been banned from these forums.
He is the sourest troll in every single thread. It staggers me to think that such sad people exist.

If half of what he said was factual it would be ok, but its not... its sour and ill-informed.

Sanders: "I dont understand esports and how quickly its growing so I'll s**t on it and pretend I know what the financials and future of the industry are so that I sound intellectual"

The world has passed you by, but you're clinging on to stay relevant.

The sport has 300 million fans. That is about 13 times the population of Australia.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
He is the sourest troll in every single thread. It staggers me to think that such sad people exist.

If half of what he said was factual it would be ok, but its not... its sour and ill-informed.

Sanders: "I dont understand esports and how quickly its growing so I'll s**t on it and pretend I know what the financials and future of the industry are so that I sound intellectual"

The sport has 300 million fans. That is about 13 times the population of Australia.
So what is the plan for getting some of those 300m to contribute money to the AFC?

Nobody is saying esports doesn't have big dollars in it. It doesn't mean Legacy will bring dollars to the club.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
So what is the plan for getting some of those 300m to contribute money to the AFC?

Nobody is saying esports doesn't have big dollars in it. It doesn't mean Legacy will bring dollars to the club.

Well that would be something you'd have to talk to the people concerned about, but its not like Sanders has information on this either.

Being part of a fast growing sector is a good thing, especially if you've got smart people at the helm.

It's not going to take giant dollars away from the club, but has potential to bring in money.
And not from an immoral source like pokies.

Freshj

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not exactly sure what E-sports is. Is it people playing a game against each other, then a crowed basically just watch them on YouTube?

That as a selling point is as silly as "china has 4 billion people, we only need 0.0001% to make some serious dosh". Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legacy/Esports venture per se if it isn't costing us much because I definitely see E-sports trending upwards in Australia with the next generation (I would be comfortable in stating that within 2 generations I expect it to be the biggest sport in the world with daylight second). However what's the potential for Oceanian league to really attract a big amount of money? I don't feel like it's much just because the severe lack of population in the region and that other areas will just have a stranglehold on the competitive scene.

Mind you, I suppose a niche sport like AFL makes a huge amount of money which could make those worries rather pointless.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That as a selling point is as silly as "china has 4 billion people, we only need 0.0001% to make some serious dosh". Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Legacy/Esports venture per se if it isn't costing us much because I definitely see E-sports trending upwards in Australia with the next generation (I would be comfortable in stating that within 2 generations I expect it to be the biggest sport in the world with daylight second). However what's the potential for Oceanian league to really attract a big amount of money? I don't feel like it's much just because the severe lack of population in the region and that other areas will just have a stranglehold on the competitive scene.

Mind you, I suppose a niche sport like AFL makes a huge amount of money which could make those worries rather pointless.
If eSports is the biggest sport in the world then they're making more money than AFL players regardless of them being Oceania based.

If eSports is the biggest sport in the world then they're making more money than AFL players regardless of them being Oceania based.

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world, and I don't see A-league players getting paid even close to what AFL players get.

Similar to soccer, I expect it to be the biggest sport in the world, but have the vast majority of it's money making potential confined to US/Asia (whereas soccer is just confined to Europe).

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

But that selling point is actually quite true. The only thing about China is its a very different market to other places due to their culture. I have a few friends who do a lot of business in China with branding and stuff. I wont go into too much detail but it takes a certain angle to get picked up in China. The trouble is companies assume that they can just get business doing things the same way over there and it doesnt work. But ask Swisse or someone like that how getting a small portion of China market has assisted their business. Chinese 'daigou' companies in Australia which essentially act as a bridge from Australian companies to Chinese buyers is a hugely growing industry.

I agree with what you're saying about the growth of the 'sport' (I struggle to call it that) and there is definitely no guarantees, but it seems like a lot of the naysayers don't come from an angle of "well its an unknown entity for this and that reason", they come from the angle of not actually having a clue what this is and assuming its a dumb investment because they specifically don't know what it is or what it entails or arent a participant.

I would say to an extent the Oceania competition will associate with Asian competitions, akin to say soccer.

Lets just say I think its a lot safer investment than the investment in the Adelaide Bite, which nobody seems to comment on?

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soccer is the biggest sport in the world, and I don't see A-league players getting paid even close to what AFL players get.

Similar to soccer, I expect it to be the biggest sport in the world, but have the vast majority of it's money making potential confined to US/Asia (whereas soccer is just confined to Europe).

Different kettle of fish.
Soccer is competing with other football codes in Australia who were already more established and popular, essentially.

There is no 'competition' for Esports. There might be different games that are played, but they'll be under the same umbrella.
I guess like being a fan of athletics and having multiple events under the one 'sport'

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I'm not exactly sure what E-sports is. Is it people playing a game against each other, then a crowed basically just watch them on YouTube?

Generally, it a team against a team with large crowds of people watching the event live, in some case stadiums like Marvell stadium. with several large screens, Most views are on the various media platforms.
With Twitch, Utube Twitter just a few platforms, Media P{latforms also depend on the country as well.
Legacy has 6 teams in different events, LOL and DOTA currently the most popular. only 1 is a single player comp smash.
The Games in time will most likely change in time and Player turn over is huge.

Edit, you can find shortcuts to games from there home page at the bottom just look at the twitch, utube twitter icons.
https://legacyesports.com.au/

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
did you just "I am rubber you are glue", "no, you are" me? The wittiest retorts come from the primary school playground.

I know your type, why don't you just skip to the part where you tell me how big your IQ is and save us some time. I promise to pretend I believe you and to act impressed.

Lol. You’re the one who was familiar with the book ;)

And my IQ is high enough that I don’t need your approval. Which you obviously value far more highly than available evidence suggests you should :)

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide

And my IQ is high enough that I don’t need your approval. Which you obviously value far more highly than available evidence suggests you should :)

That's "No you are!" times 2 then. Outstanding repartee!

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Donald Trump has a high IQ.
Just like him, getting it from brain to page seems to be the problem for you.

Linekers Ears

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
The point of gaining extra revenue streams is to invest those surpluses into our footy dept so that we maximise our chances of winning AFL premierships.

Footy dept spending is capped. If we don't spend 99% of that our management should be sacked.

Having an argument that not all of the spending is on the AFL team presumably allows us to have more resources than, say St Kilda who have nothing else to wash off that budget line item.

Personally i reckon it's more about justifying pay increases for management roles.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Footy dept spending is capped. If we don't spend 99% of that our management should be sacked.

Having an argument that not all of the spending is on the AFL team presumably allows us to have more resources than, say St Kilda who have nothing else to wash off that budget line item.

Personally i reckon it's more about justifying pay increases for management roles.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Spending on facilities and other things that could assist the organisation and 22 on the park each weekend are not capped though.

There is plenty more to club success than football department spending.

Back