News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
If anybody is a fan of FPS games and you haven't heard of Counter Strike - one of the more entertaining games to watch from a spectator POV

I thought this was cracking edit from one of the bigger tournaments it also shows the enormity of the European supporter base.

Last edited:

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
much like they still sell plenty of coke and pies at the footy, that legacy will live on in the amateur scene don't worry :p

EDIT: don't know why anyone would eat Doritos while gaming though, that s**t gets all over your fingers and messes up your mouse and keyboard.
Dont you just open the packet and pour into your mouth?

Crow54

23 year veteran.
Oct 9, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Add to shooting, snooker, darts, chess.

Car racing is a similar scenario. A human giving input to a machine to achieve a desired outcome. Requiring fast reflexes, and good hand eye coordination.

Greyhound racing is considered a sport and has no human exertion so if we can have that done by a non-person be that animal or machine is it really a defining attribute of sport?
It's an interesting debate. Snooker, darts and chess are games, but car racing is considered a sport.

Greyhound and horse racing are considered sports because of the physicality involved regardless of the fact the participants aren't human.

I don't know where that leaves us. I still feel the participants in eSports are playing games, while allowing that the games require mental agility and good hand eye co-ordination.

If it's ends in -ing it's not a sport.

It's a hobby.

Gaming
Kayaking
Snorkeling
Horse racing
Hang gliding
Walking
Etc

Running
Shooting
Racing
Swimming
Curling

I guess darts would be a sport under your rules though. As would lawn bowls and mini golf

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
That is the stupidest theory I've read on here in a long time, and i read the Port board.
It's 100% spot on. Just a few losers who do the -ing stuff get offended that's all

Nothing wrong with hobbies. Stamp collecting, scrap booking, pole dancing... they're fun I'm sure. And who doesn't like fishing?

Wrestling. Wow...

Hot dog eating.

Real sports - football, soccer, hockey, basketball, tennis, cricket, golf, baseball, rugby, squash, volleyball, netball, gridiron, badminton...

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's 100% spot on. Just a few losers who do the -ing stuff get offended that's all

Nothing wrong with hobbies. Stamp collecting, scrap booking, pole dancing... they're fun I'm sure. And who doesn't like fishing?

Wrestling. Wow...

Hot dog eating.

Real sports - football, soccer, hockey, basketball, tennis, cricket, golf, baseball, rugby, squash, volleyball, netball, gridiron, badminton...
Boxing?
Skiing?
Hurling?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Boxing?
Skiing?
Hurling?
Boxing is just fighting. Caveman stuff

Skiing - same as any athletic event - no team work, no ball skills, no teams. Not a sport. Race your brother down to the shops... then call it a sport

Is hurling the Irish thing? Just like those dummies to get the rules wrong

Boxing is just fighting. Caveman stuff

Skiing - same as any athletic event - no team work, no ball skills, no teams. Not a sport. Race your brother down to the shops... then call it a sport

Is hurling the Irish thing? Just like those dummies to get the rules wrong

What about curling? Bowling? Rowing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Wrestling. Wow...

Hot dog eating.

Wrestling Wow, interesting comment. You do understand that there are several types of wrestling, one which was around in the first Olympics. Roman Greco wrestling (european wrestling) then there Japanese Jui-Jutsi wrestling, Brazilian wrestling, I would call them Sports,

But you would be very interested to know that a professional Gamer needs a good fitness base to perform at max.

People watch other people play video games?

And pay to do so?

Just as amazing as people pay money to watch others play football and other sports ;)

(Really, it's all pretty irrational when you think about it)

Jun 22, 2015
Where the magic happens
AFL Club
Essendon

Wrestling. Wow...

Hot dog eating.

Running, swimming?

This is the thing. I don't think the Crows are in as early as most think. If they're relying on growth rates to continue, they're in for a shock.

To be fair, you jump ship to another game when LOL starts to decline, seeing it's all about following trends with what game is getting popular.

If anything, e-sports is going to get bigger when the next generation comes as well through.

johnnypanther

BigFooty Phantom
Mar 20, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide, Kenilworth
Probably slightly off topic but I recall Fagan saying how we have started using AFCmedia to generate revenue. Not just via YouTube but in producing media for other entities

Given this sport is pretty much social media driven it is a great tie in with AFCmedia. Legacy will help support AFCmedia's work and broaden it's revenue generating capacity.

I think another aspect of AFCmedia's work could be picking up media production work that 7,9 and 10 would have done a few years ago. The tv media in this town is skeletal and few production/editing people employed. This has created an opening for a business like us to exploit in doing corporate media work and other media stuff these guys would have traditionally done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Perhaps Jay can pay AFC media to produce Port Power's propaganda videos,
or better still, even use the scarce taxpayers' money to pay AFC media to produce tourism etc videos which actually promote and benefit SA.

Sep 6, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not the same, but it is a similar feeling. I'm psyched to go home tonight and run through some missions with my mates for a few hours.

One thing with our old LANs is that we were usually competing against each other, which was tons of fun, but the games I tend towards now have my and my friends teamed against strangers.

Maybe my view is tainted because all those friends drifted away over time and now its just me being a sad loner who has only once found a home in an online community - that being Warhammer Online which is long since dead. :p

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Wrestling. Wow...

Hot dog eating.

I can think of two ings that I can do at an elite professional level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back