News Crows buy professional eSports team

Discussion in 'Adelaide' started by Scorpus, May 17, 2017.

1. DD#23

DD#23 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Dec 31, 2013
    must be hard to explain why so many people still love test cricket then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. 1970crow

1970crow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Jun 7, 2011
    alice springs
    My prediction is that the league owners will be rolling in the dough, but team owners getting their fair share may not eventuate. For every pro gaming team player, there's a thousand gamers ready to take their place. They might not be as good, but then again, individually they might, but haven't been paired with a strong grouping.

3. FR0GGY

FR0GGY Press the button

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    CDFC
    Oct 9, 2004
    Adelaide
  4. whitey_1975

whitey_1975 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    All OZ BBallerz,PPenguins,CBengals
    Oct 3, 2007
    Around the Bend
    Maybe we should concentrate on winning flags instead of wasting 6 figure sums on e-games teams (as they should be known)

5. Southerntakeover

Southerntakeover Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Feb 21, 2006
    At vB temple...
    There's a rather large contingent of 'old man yells at cloud' in this thread.

6. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Jun 7, 2011
    alice springs
    Haven't watched cricket of any type for more than a few minutes in over a decade. Boring as bat shit, I couldn't care less if we win or lose. Interesting that the value of the rights has recently been slashed though. But really, when you look a little deeper, patriotism is a very important driver of that interest. No different to club level support and this is why there's many failed examples of the, "build it and they will come" methodology for creating elite level sporting teams out of thin air. This might shock, I'm not a gamer, but from the outside, I can't yet see how these teams will end up with a legion of fans that will buy branded merchandise, pay $50 for a yearly membership to receive email updates or generate even reasonable promotional revenue. And obviously a percentage of gate and catering receipts will be out of the question.

I will say this about cricket though, I was lucky enough to be flicking through channels and happened to watch Punter sing the Waugh sledge song during the 20:20. That was the most entertaining piece of cricket I'd seen in over 2 decades.

whitey_1975 likes this.
  7. whitey_1975

whitey_1975 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Around the Bend
    Hah, are u calling me old:)
    Thats ageist. Is that how u young fellas do it nowadays;)

8. 1970crow

Adelaide
    Jun 7, 2011
    alice springs
    To be fair, there's yet to be made an argument as to how this translates exactly to us making a surplus from this department or transitioning eFans across to our AFL teams. There's a bit of the dot com bust belief though. There's money to be made, not sure how it's actually done, but we gotta get or money in there. I have no doubt it's an enormous industry and there's money to be made, but on the surface it appears as though that's in control of league owners.

I'm not here to criticise the club and I haven't. I tend to trust Fagan, I'm just asking those in the know how this will actually assist us in achieving our core mission. Obviously it will relate to greater resourcing, but a detailed explanation is yet to come forth. I think there's a lot of belief, but not a lot of understanding into the actual revenue structures or realistic opportunities.

whitey_1975 likes this.
  9. whitey_1975

whitey_1975 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Around the Bend
    Agree. I just want to know how this will make us better as a club. Plus gauging from those with knowledge on the subject helps form your own opinion.

10. Geoffa32

Geoffa32 Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Autobots and Team America
    Aug 17, 2007
    Adelaide
    #410 Geoffa32, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Oh look Sanders is here to offer an opinion that is a 180 from most people here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11. spexau

spexau Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Nov 25, 2007
    Adelaide
    Only shitposting

FR0GGY likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Grooster24

Grooster24 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    May 27, 2015
    Dlusional
    Like how rucci has a shot at AFC over this linking it being anti kids in active sports... The level this guy goes to troll us. I'm sure if powa did this s it would be innovating world leader. First ever in the world's...Wank wank.

johnnypanther and footy4ever like this.
  13. whitey_1975

whitey_1975 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Around the Bend

14. deaneus

deaneus Extremist Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Black Caps
    Nov 24, 2007
    The Citadel Of Chaos
    Ah good morning Mr Sanders

https://dotesports.com/general/the-biggest-investments-esports-3871

Philadelphia 76ers acquire Team Dignitas and Apex

Immortals acquire Team 8 LCS spot, backed by venture capital funding;

Sacramento Kings co-owners buy Team Coast LCS spot, start NRG eSports; Shaq, A-Rod, and Jimmy Rollins invest in NRG eSports

Russia's richest man invests into Virtus.pro

FC Schalke 04 acquire Elements LCS spot

Controlling interest of Team Liquid sold to NBA owners, Magic Johnson

Rick Fox acquires Gravity Gaming LCS spot, founds Echo Fox

Celtics player Jonas Jerebko buys out Renegades

Maybe you're right, and no one will remember... but i'd rather us fail at the cutting edge, rather than fail at the back of the pack. This list has a couple of professional sports teams, a few pro sport players, venture capitalists and "Russia's richest man". If it was one group, i'd think maybe it's silly. But people from differing fields are looking into it, so it has more weight with me.

http://fusion.kinja.com/why-nba-team-owners-are-buying-esports-teams-1793862405

15. Geoffa32

Geoffa32 Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Adelaide
    Unfortunately we don't have two licenced venues full of pokies that don't generate about 7mill of revenue for us a year.

And yes I am pro pokies as a revenue source. But wont deny they are not exactly socially responsible.

AFC3000 likes this.
  16. mistylake

mistylake Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
    Mar 21, 2014
    I'd take painting the house over watching us play like the last 2 weeks.

whitey_1975 likes this.
  17. mistylake

mistylake Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
    Mar 21, 2014
    I don't know my kids pretty much only watch pimply **** sticks play computer games on U tube like for **** sake they don't even play the games themselves.
    They sit there both watching different videos with this excited voices crapping on it is ******* excruciating.
    Then I turn the wifi off. Drives me insane.
    Rant over.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? likes this.
  18. OutofTownCrow

OutofTownCrow Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redlegs
    Oct 15, 2012
    Do you mean... Because it will be main stream and no one will remember we were first? If so, I agree.

That doesn't mean it's not a good move.

What we are doing is extending our elite processes to another sport. Esports is just entering the professional era, and all the stuff we are knowledgeable in applies.

No doubt we will get some knowledge coming back the other way too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

19. DD#23

DD#23 Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Dec 31, 2013
    uhh, wrong

20. deaneus

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Black Caps
    Nov 24, 2007
    The Citadel Of Chaos

TALLYWHACKER YOU ARE A GOD IF YOUR TEAM WINS THIS GAME!

*they win*

21. AFC3000

AFC3000 Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Sep 20, 2011
    I see this as a way of using the stuff we know about running a sports team, online/content, managing corporate partners. Little if anything to do with extending our brand to the eSports market and attracting new supporters.

These are all areas we can afford to stretch ourselves in, we can boost these departments without AFL taxes and there would be plenty of talent out there to hire if required.

What we aren't doing is stretching our football resources, no ones flying to China mid season for example.

I don't know if it will take off here like it will elsewhere, but for it to be worthwhile to us it doesn't have to reach the heights it has in other countries because it costs a fraction of what it costs to run an NBA club to run an AFL one.

With all the money being invested it must have a good chance, I'd rather we were early and fail with a few hundred thousand, than it be a success and we're too late or not at all.

22. Geoffa32

Geoffa32 Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Adelaide
    I reckon Sanders uses a typewriter to post here.....ding

Sanders likes this.
  23. whitey_1975

whitey_1975 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Around the Bend
    you sound like my wife:)

24. deaneus

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Black Caps
    Nov 24, 2007
    The Citadel Of Chaos
    Apparently they have a game this afternoon

whitey_1975 and DD#23 like this.
  25. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
    Mar 21, 2016
    Down South Corvus Tristis
    I quoted the last because this is uppermost in my mind. Not the Port troll Rucci but the idea that we good Port bad.

Like 1970 and whitey I want to know if the value out will equal value in. Just as I have asked Port supporters to quantify the China Adventure. Why is it ok to spend page after page bagging Ports China trip yet just accept that 'Fagan knows what he is doing' ?

I am comfortable in stating that I have no idea of where this might go so am asking people and the club to detail what the end game is. Headlines like Crows 1st Australian team to sponsor eSports don't flesh out the detail.

or maybe I missed it.

Back to yelling at clouds I guess

Sanders and whitey_1975 like this.