News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, there's yet to be made an argument as to how this translates exactly to us making a surplus from this department or transitioning eFans across to our AFL teams. There's a bit of the dot com bust belief though. There's money to be made, not sure how it's actually done, but we gotta get or money in there. I have no doubt it's an enormous industry and there's money to be made, but on the surface it appears as though that's in control of league owners.

I'm not here to criticise the club and I haven't. I tend to trust Fagan, I'm just asking those in the know how this will actually assist us in achieving our core mission. Obviously it will relate to greater resourcing, but a detailed explanation is yet to come forth. I think there's a lot of belief, but not a lot of understanding into the actual revenue structures or realistic opportunities.

Agree. I just want to know how this will make us better as a club. Plus gauging from those with knowledge on the subject helps form your own opinion.

Like how rucci has a shot at AFC over this linking it being anti kids in active sports... The level this guy goes to troll us. I'm sure if powa did this s it would be innovating world leader. First ever in the world's...Wank wank.

I quoted the last because this is uppermost in my mind. Not the Port troll Rucci but the idea that we good Port bad.

Like 1970 and whitey I want to know if the value out will equal value in. Just as I have asked Port supporters to quantify the China Adventure. Why is it ok to spend page after page bagging Ports China trip yet just accept that 'Fagan knows what he is doing' ?

I am comfortable in stating that I have no idea of where this might go so am asking people and the club to detail what the end game is. Headlines like Crows 1st Australian team to sponsor eSports don't flesh out the detail.

or maybe I missed it.

Back to yelling at clouds I guess

I quoted the last because this is uppermost in my mind. Not the Port troll Rucci but the idea that we good Port bad.

Like 1970 and whitey I want to know if the value out will equal value in. Just as I have asked Port supporters to quantify the China Adventure. Why is it ok to spend page after page bagging Ports China trip yet just accept that 'Fagan knows what he is doing' ?

I am comfortable in stating that I have no idea of where this might go so am asking people and the club to detail what the end game is. Headlines like Crows 1st Australian team to sponsor eSports don't flesh out the detail.

or maybe I missed it.

Back to yelling at clouds I guess
Ports trip was far more expensive and comes with far more risk and uncertainty for one.

Please, stop talking about Ports trip and tell me about Adelaides investment. Why is ours a better investment and less risk?

Grows the brand, has a better chance of growing the brand than Port's effort does, because it is using a medium of competition as a bridge, a medium that is already known and popular in many of the nations to our north. Also Port's effort seems to be driven mostly out of Hong Kong, and they're not real Chinese so...

Grows the brand, has a better chance of growing the brand than Port's effort does, because it is using a medium of competition as a bridge, a medium that is already known and popular in many of the nations to our north. Also Port's effort seems to be driven mostly out of Hong Kong, and they're not real Chinese so...
Meaning more supporters for the AFC or something else?

Meaning more supporters for the AFC or something else?

Potentially, I mean it wouldn't be a 1 to 1 thing, but as the brand grows you're bound to attract paying customers, and in addition to that obtaining the mailing list which I am sure they have would provide an audience for marketing purposes with the Crows sponsorship partners, which again makes us money. Additionally, I'd love the Crows to get some PC hardware manufacture sponsorship, something not possible before, but in the future? Possibly. Big industry that.

Also a learning opportunity for sports, what can be applied from a training, preparation and coaching perspective to eSports? Or from eSports to AFL? Many of these games like LoL require extremely quick decision making skills and reflexes, in addition to being able handle extreme mental pressure, something the Crows could use some practice in.

Finally, game streaming, and competitive gaming are extremely popular and that popularity is only increasing. It is a relatively new and transforming market and being involved in it is a great learning opportunity. There are many opportunities for collaboration and involvement in events like Avcon here in Adelaide and other events around the country.

Potentially, I mean it wouldn't be a 1 to 1 thing, but as the brand grows you're bound to attract paying customers, and in addition to that obtaining the mailing list which I am sure they have would provide an audience for marketing purposes with the Crows sponsorship partners, which again makes us money. Additionally, I'd love the Crows to get some PC hardware manufacture sponsorship, something not possible before, but in the future? Possibly. Big industry that.

Also a learning opportunity for sports, what can be applied from a training, preparation and coaching perspective to eSports? Or from eSports to AFL? Many of these games like LoL require extremely quick decision making skills and reflexes, in addition to being able handle extreme mental pressure, something the Crows could use some practice in.

Finally, game streaming, and competitive gaming are extremely popular and that popularity is only increasing. It is a relatively new and transforming market and being involved in it is a great learning opportunity. There are many opportunities for collaboration and involvement in events like Avcon here in Adelaide and other events around the country.
:) Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Please, stop talking about Ports trip and tell me about Adelaides investment. Why is ours a better investment and less risk?
people have been talking about this the whole time - we've just purchased an established and already profitable entity in a booming market. The AFC has the resources to take the team to the next level, we have know-how and experience securing sponsorships, a pretty canny in-house media team, an existing network of sponsors and contacts who all may be equally keen to get in on the action, as well we've now gained access to a completely new market.

a new market that we don't have to spend even five minutes trying to showcase football to, a la Port's trip.

as a sporting organisation there are also many ways we could help the Legacy team improve, win more tournaments and qualify for bigger and better ones, thus expanding the scope for sponsorships even more.

this is purely a money making exercise, and even if we're in and out in 2 years we could still make plenty of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you've answered your own question. Why are you comparing?

The point of my post is everything Crows do as far as rucci is concerned is questionable. Everything powa does is great without question. Doesn't matter what the topic is.

Looking at this and it is a small investment that does not affect our footy department.

Rucci writing quite a long article is simply BS. Just because we've invested in online gaming doesn't mean we'll neglect kids physical activities. Online games participation is here to stay. What's to say we don't have initiatives in mind to get there kids involved in footy participation?

We don't know the long-term plans of this yet enough to comment. But we're can easily comment on flog rucci's immediate BS trolling redone like clockwork.

Oh FFS buy a clue

In 2 years no one will remember we even did this
who cares?

2 years is plenty of time to make some money and get out. This doesn't have to change the course of AFL history to be successful for us.

The point of my post is everything Crows do as far as rucci is concerned is questionable. Everything powa does is great without question. Doesn't matter what the topic is.

Looking at this and it is a small investment that does not affect our footy department.

Rucci writing quite a long article is simply BS. Just because we've invested in online gaming doesn't mean we'll neglect kids physical activities. Online games participation is here to stay. What's to say we don't have initiatives in mind to get there kids involved in footy participation?

We don't know the long-term plans of this yet enough to comment. But we're can easily comment on flog rucci's immediate BS trolling redone like clockwork.
Article on Port encouraging children to eat deep fried lemon chicken next week?

people have been talking about this the whole time - we've just purchased an established and already profitable entity in a booming market. The AFC has the resources to take the team to the next level, we have know-how and experience securing sponsorships, a pretty canny in-house media team, an existing network of sponsors and contacts who all may be equally keen to get in on the action, as well we've now gained access to a completely new market.

a new market that we don't have to spend even five minutes trying to showcase football to, a la Port's trip.

as a sporting organisation there are also many ways we could help the Legacy team improve, win more tournaments and qualify for bigger and better ones, thus expanding the scope for sponsorships even more.

this is purely a money making exercise, and even if we're in and out in 2 years we could still make plenty of it.
Takes a while for us oldies ;)

For a canny in house media team they forget that most of the membership base were in their 20s/30s and more when the Internet came out. Maybe a bit more information explained very slowly for us across different platforms is the way to ensure all the Membership base are on board.

Ask the old lady sitting 4 seats in front of you if she cares about eSports or knows what the Crows are trying to do? Or do you want to exclude her? Because if the club doesn't reach her then you lose her.

Then again us oldies will all be dead soon anyway ;)

Yep. I only used your post , not to introduce Rucci saying everything the Crows do is questionable, but why we don't question it ourselves?

Takes a while for us oldies ;)

For a canny in house media team they forget that most of the membership base were in their 20s/30s and more when the Internet came out. Maybe a bit more information explained very slowly for us across different platforms is the way to ensure all the Membership base are on board.

Ask the old lady sitting 4 seats in front of you if she cares about eSports or knows what the Crows are trying to do? Or do you want to exclude her? Because if the club doesn't reach her then you lose her.

Then again us oldies will all be dead soon anyway ;)
this is the whole point though, not a single AFC member or fan has to pay any attention to the eSports venture whatsoever.

all you need to know is that it should make money, which will end up in the AFC's pocket. If however you are interested in trying to follow it, I'd be more than happy to explain the games themselves, I'm sure anyone would.

TALLYWHACKER YOU ARE A GOD IF YOUR TEAM WINS THIS GAME!

*they win*

OK. I'm officially Grandpa Simpson now.

Why the hell would anyone watch this? *Play* yep, but watch? Nah I don't get it.

No idea if this is a good investment or not, but cripes. I think I was born about 25 years too early to get this

this is the whole point though, not a single AFC member or fan has to pay any attention to the eSports venture whatsoever.
This is a weird viewpoint to be honest. Really we can ignore this? Just hand over money and not ask a question? Wow

Edit: added. I hope this isn't the AFCs attitude

This is a weird viewpoint to be honest. Really we can ignore this? Just hand over money and not ask a question? Wow

Do you wonder which bank they deposit their money with and whether they are getting a good interest rate?

I edited my post too.

obviously you can question whether its worth pursuing, but you don't have to be interested in eSports for it to be considered a success for the club.

converting AFC fans into Legacy fans and vice versa is not part of the gameplan here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back