News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I edited my post too.

obviously you can question whether its worth pursuing, but you don't have to be interested in eSports for it to be considered a success for the club.

converting AFC fans into Legacy fans and vice versa is not part of the gameplan here.
It worked for me though...

I edited my post too.

obviously you can question whether its worth pursuing, but you don't have to be interested in eSports for it to be considered a success for the club.

converting AFC fans into Legacy fans and vice versa is not part of the gameplan here.
Thank you. I did see the edit after. Maybe a lot of it is yelling at clouds and I do get your point about a lack of interest in the product not affecting the outcome.

OK. I'm officially Grandpa Simpson now.

Why the hell would anyone watch this? *Play* yep, but watch? Nah I don't get it.

No idea if this is a good investment or not, but cripes. I think I was born about 25 years too early to get this

personally why even would you want to play it, looks so nerdy and boring.
i just asked my son about lol and dota2 and overwatch. He said lol and dota2 are "cancer" and overwatch is ok. He rekons lol and dota are for nerds.

Apparently they have a game this afternoon

I didn't realise they were playing CSGO until dogs105 pointed it out... might tune in for that.

for those who don't know Counter-Strike, its a first-person shooter and in competitive play five counter terrorists face off against five terrorists in a best of 30 rounds competition (teams swap sides throughout the game).

the basic rules are:
- the terrorists are attempting to plant a bomb at one of two bomb sites and then guard it until it explodes.
- if either team is eliminated before the bomb is planted, that team loses the round.
- if the bomb has been planted the counter terrorists must disarm it to win the round.

the other interesting bit worth knowing is that the winner of each round gets money to buy weapons, so if you're on the losing side a few round in a row things can get a little difficult.

various versions of the game have been played competitively for almost 20 years now.

Last edited:
I didn't realise they were playing CSGO until dogs105 pointed it out... might tune in for that.

for those who don't know Counter-Strike, its a first-person shooter and in competitive play five counter terrorists face off against five terrorists in a best of 15 rounds competition (teams swap sides throughout the game).

the basic rules are:
- the terrorists are attempting to plant a bomb at one of two bomb sites and then guard it until it explodes.
- if either team is eliminated before the bomb is planted, that team loses the round.
- if the bomb has been planted the counter terrorists must disarm it to win the round.

the other interesting bit worth knowing is that the winner of each round gets money to buy weapons, so if you're on the losing side a few round in a row things can get a little difficult.

various versions of the game have been played competitively for almost 20 years now.
Do you know anything about our team?

OK. I'm officially Grandpa Simpson now.

Why the hell would anyone watch this? *Play* yep, but watch? Nah I don't get it.

No idea if this is a good investment or not, but cripes. I think I was born about 25 years too early to get this
you could just as easily say the same thing about footy, in fact plenty of Chinese people were probably saying it last weekend.

you watch the games for the same reason, because the pros are a shitload better at it than you'll likely ever be.

Do you know anything about our team?
nah, nothing lol.

most of that is dredging up knowledge from when I used to play in the early 2000's, I haven't really played anything in the last 5 years, certainly haven't watched.

that's why this is clicking for me though, the AFC association and a nostalgic quality.

personally why even would you want to play it, looks so nerdy and boring.
i just asked my son about lol and dota2 and overwatch. He said lol and dota2 are "cancer" and overwatch is ok. He rekons lol and dota are for nerds.
he's not completely wrong, they're quite awesome and complex games but they've been known since their very early days for having the most toxic communities.

dogs105 actually pointed out something to me a while back, I didn't realise you were talking about your kids lol, that was my mistake there.

I thought that ha.
Youtubes pretty sketchy.
My kids are watching these youngish adults playing what ever and then they drop the F bomb. You can't set parent controls as far as I know. it's either on or off and I can't monitor what they're watching all the time. So I crack the shits at them.
Big difference with my childhood of burning ants with a magnifying glass. Etc.

I've thrown that CS:GO game on, few very close round, bringing back memories lol

EDIT: go crows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you could just as easily say the same thing about footy, in fact plenty of Chinese people were probably saying it last weekend.

you watch the games for the same reason, because the pros are a shitload better at it than you'll likely ever be.
But I have played plenty of games. I'll happily spend hours playing COD. But watching someone else do it? Let alone people I don't know? Dullsville

But I have played plenty of games. I'll happily spend hours playing COD. But watching someone else do it? Let alone people I don't know? Dullsville
yeah but COD and LoL are different animals, COD is just the quick and the dead whereas the bigger games that are played competitively have a hell of a lot of strategic depth and a much higher skill ceiling.

not trying to talk you into it or anything and I'm not huge on it myself, but its not like the people who are into it have a screw loose, they probably know the players just as well as you know any of the crows - hell, you could even have the opportunity to play with these streamer guys. You can't hop into a casual game of footy with Dangerfield.

I'm a huge Dota 2 addict, have been for 10 years back when it was Dota 1 on War 3. Moba (type of game) games (LoL and Dota 2) have a huge oceanic following.

LoL has done well to appeal to the younger audience and heaps of new Moba players turn to LoL as it has an easier learning curve. Most Dota players are late teens and in their 20s.

For those with no idea about gaming, Dota 2 and LoL are Moba variations. Just like Rugby Union and Rugby League are different but have the same underlying concepts. (PS I know nothing about rugby).

All Moba communities are horrid at the amateur average level, pretty much every game is Bay 13 standard of trolling as you can send messages to the other team. You're also matched up with a new team every game so if a team member doesn't perform they will get roasted by their own team. If Dmac played a Moba like he does AFL, his team would abuse him pretty bad.

The higher ranked games are a bit more mature but by no means troll free. At the pro level there is a lot of coin pumped in to it and its not toxic.

Esports isn't a big thing for Australian audiences, as it only really appeals to your stereotypical nerd who don't really get around footy. The elite standard of Australian gaming with Mobas is really low compared to other countries. In some Australasian countries however, it is more a part of pop culture and this investment could be good.

It is uncommon for players of this game to be over 35 odd too.

I'm a huge Dota 2 addict, have been for 10 years back when it was Dota 1 on War 3. Moba (type of game) games (LoL and Dota 2) have a huge oceanic following.

LoL has done well to appeal to the younger audience and heaps of new Moba players turn to LoL as it has an easier learning curve. Most Dota players are late teens and in their 20s.

For those with no idea about gaming, Dota 2 and LoL are Moba variations. Just like Rugby Union and Rugby League are different but have the same underlying concepts. (PS I know nothing about rugby).

All Moba communities are horrid at the amateur average level, pretty much every game is Bay 13 standard of trolling as you can send messages to the other team. You're also matched up with a new team every game so if a team member doesn't perform they will get roasted by their own team. If Dmac played a Moba like he does AFL, his team would abuse him pretty bad.

The higher ranked games are a bit more mature but by no means troll free. At the pro level there is a lot of coin pumped in to it and its not toxic.

Esports isn't a big thing for Australian audiences, as it only really appeals to your stereotypical nerd who don't really get around footy. The elite standard of Australian gaming with Mobas is really low compared to other countries. In some Australasian countries however, it is more a part of pop culture and this investment could be good.

It is uncommon for players of this game to be over 35 odd too.
I was thinking about having a go. Don't thinl I will now.

yeah but COD and LoL are different animals, COD is just the quick and the dead whereas the bigger games that are played competitively have a hell of a lot of strategic depth and a much higher skill ceiling.

not trying to talk you into it or anything and I'm not huge on it myself, but its not like the people who are into it have a screw loose, they probably know the players just as well as you know any of the crows - hell, you could even have the opportunity to play with these streamer guys. You can't hop into a casual game of footy with Dangerfield.

Yeah good point if you get your Matchmaking Rank (points based on your wins/loss) high enough you can be matched with Pros when they aren't playing with their teams. There's a ridiculously high ceiling on the strategies these games have, and they are constantly changing.

Australasians love these streams because their network stability and computer hardware sometimes prevents them for playing competitively, so they watch it instead.

A lot of new players are turned away due to getting ripped for not performing.

What types of games do you usually play? Certainly give it a crack if you like RPGs and RTS games.

LoL and Dota 2 are pretty unforgiving, but everyone starts at the ground floor and you get matched with new players. The big problem is the learning curve, you quickly reach a point where you have to know a tonne of s**t to keep going.

there are 113 heroes in Dota 2, each one has at least 4 unique skills and you basically need to know all of them and how they work together in a team of 5.

then there are about 150 items, all of which give a myriad of different effects and you need to know all of them too, how to use them on each hero you play, and how those choices might change depending on the opponent heroes and the items they're carrying.

then there are different roles, dozens of skills to learn, and so on and so on.

this complexity is why the game has legs as a competitive game. Having said all that though, you can put a lot of hours on it sticking to a handful of heroes and have plenty of fun before all that comes crashing down on you lol.

EDIT: like above though, if you've got some RTS experience there's no reason not to try it.

Yeah good point if you get your Matchmaking Rank (points based on your wins/loss) high enough you can be matched with Pros when they aren't playing with their teams. There's a ridiculously high ceiling on the strategies these games have, and they are constantly changing.

Australasians love these streams because their network stability and computer hardware sometimes prevents them for playing competitively, so they watch it instead.
The bolded bit is a really good point and why the eSport scene isnt as big in Oz. Doesnt matter what the game is, we're often forced to play on overseas servers, which kills any chance of being competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back