News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think you're being a tad ambitious there? Maybe just a tad?

Think about the sheer amount of sponsors available, each a recognised international powerhouse in the gaming industry. Its a massive billion dollar industry.

https://www.esportsearnings.com/

Thats just individual player earnings

upload_2017-5-17_20-53-18.png

This, it strikes me as a China like stray from what we try and achieve.

I suppose it has the benefit of not impacting the core business in the direct manner that China has for Port, but still potentially poses the sideshow/distraction to the off field
Can't see how it's a sideshow at all. It's a completely different product and completely separate from anything to do with the football club.

Of course, but games like Dota2 and LoL require you to make similar strategic decisions on a dynamic "gameboard" in split seconds. These games are Chess on speed.

My fondest gaming memory was barely missing out on the Guild Wars 2006 world championships. We (Black Rose Gaming) had one win to get to place 10th and drew WAR MACHINE from Korea in our final ladder GvG. They made us look like the Washington Generals and that was that.

Surprised that we were the first club to take the plunge into e-sports, but fairly excited to see how big this can get. Can't wait to be calling for D-Mack and E-Mack's heads come selection each week!

Think about the sheer amount of sponsors available, each a recognised international powerhouse in the gaming industry. Its a massive billion dollar industry.

https://www.esportsearnings.com/

Thats just individual player earnings

View attachment 371626
I'm on board!! Get on board people. I have no idea what the train is or where it's going, but I'm now on board.

I guess there're people in the world who actually know how to turn this stuff into money. Hope the Crows have the right geek leading the whole shebang.

This is going to be....interesting.

I'm on board!! Get on board people. I have no idea what the train is or where it's going, but I'm now on board.

I guess there're people in the world who actually know how to turn this stuff into money. Hope the Crows have the right geek leading the whole shebang.

This is going to be....interesting.

I hope so. Like any investment its no sure thing but E sports is only just starting to take off. Its very smart to get on the ground floor before it becomes almost impossible to buy in and be competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have liked it to be a growing game, like overwatch

Overwatch will never be as big as LoL, the Asian market will be spilt between dota/LoL for the next decade at least.

I really think the club should have gone with a dota 2 team however, the last dota 2 major prize pool topped 20 million dollars and will continue to grow and grow. League has more players/exposure but dota rakes in dollars.

If LoL is chess on speed, then what is Starcraft?
I actually think the variety of heroes, skills and item builds combined with the team play in Dota (can't speak for LoL) give it a lot more strategic depth than Starcraft.

the micro part of Starcraft - especially in the Brood War days - is some next-level s**t though... still, that's just based on my experience, I know which game used to stress me out the most lol.

So it's not a small thing we're getting involved in. Huge audience numbers and worth a lot of $.

IF the team can gain international traction.

Fwiw, Australian LoL teams haven't been far off attending the biggest LoL tournament possible. Australian teams are wildcards, and go to a mini tournament and vs other regions teams that don't get a direct seed into the tournament. I think a few times they've narrowly lost to the Brazil and Turkish teams.

Overwatch will never be as big as LoL, the Asian market will be spilt between dota/LoL for the next decade at least.

I really think the club should have gone with a dota 2 team however, the last dota 2 major prize pool topped 20 million dollars and will continue to grow and grow. League has more players/exposure but dota rakes in dollars.
What's stopping them investing in a Dota2 team? It's an eSports organisation which just happens to have their LoL team as their focus.

I actually think the variety of heroes, skills and item builds combined with the team play in Dota (can't speak for LoL) give it a lot more strategic depth than Starcraft.

the micro part of Starcraft - especially in the Brood War days - is some next-level s**t though... still, that's just based on my experience, I know which game used to stress me out the most lol.

Yeah, I meant the micro aspect of it. That s**t is speed upon speed mixed with some meth comparable to LoL.

IF the team can gain international traction.

Fwiw, Australian LoL teams haven't been far off attending the biggest LoL tournament possible. Australian teams are wildcards, and go to a mini tournament and vs other regions teams that don't get a direct seed into the tournament. I think a few times they've narrowly lost to the Brazil and Turkish teams.
Oh yea, not doubting that it'll be an effort to get returns from it and the Aus teams are a long way off from the best, but's not silly to get your foot in the door of something that has huge numbers.

Not complicated? That would entirely depend upon your level of understanding of the game. Deep Blue thinks it's a very complicated game.
not at all, Deep Blue thinks its easy.

Chess is a turn-based game with complete information for both players, trust me, there are far more complex games out there.

Oh yea, not doubting that it'll be an effort to get returns from it and the Aus teams are a long way off from the best, but's not silly to get your foot in the door of something that has huge numbers.

Realistically, what this will do is help grow the infrastructure in Australia, help attract more sponsors because they are attached to such an established name, and the teams themselves will have a significant edge over the other teams in the region, until other teams inevitably invest. As a whole the scene will grow and the OCE scene will be better represented on the world stage, which in turn brings more attention to the scene and more money flows in this direction.

This'll be a slow burn. But the end goal is huge. A ton of teams run at a net loss in US, but they see the bigger picture. Teams cost millions over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back