Crows Culture - good/bad/on par?

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
“Culture” is a word I see thrown around on BF a lot, nearly on a daily basis! So I would like to see the discussions go in more detail of what peoples’ opinions on “Crows culture” means.

Is it all toxic or all perfection? Or somewhere in between, and on par with most other clubs? Who are we referencing when talking about “culture”, the players, the coaches, the admins, the janitor, or...?

Lastly, are we equating “culture” with results? Say, if we hypothetically (for the sake of an argument) win the premiership next year, would that instantly evaporate your current thoughts on our “culture”?

I'll weigh in but culture is a such a vague buzzword around here. People like the throw it around because they think it makes them look smart but I don't think BF has a solid definition for what club culture actually is.

There are a couple of concerns I have which I think relate to club culture.

- Adelaide has a culture of nepotism preferring to hire from within or hire people who worked here previously. It seems to always be a case of get the guy we know best instead of the best guy available.

- In terms of the culture of the playing group, I'm mostly concerned about young players getting demotivated due to the lack of opportunities. I don't think we're creating an environment that is getting the best out of our youth.

The growing emphasis on culture in sporting circles, is trickling down from the corporate management cliches you hear in most press conferences. "The reality is...." "Inside these four walls" "That wasn't us" "This doesn't define us..."

As culture is an intangible thing, it's the perfect term for commentators, coaches and players to bring up to explain either a poor or a good result, because you can't disprove it.

The North Melbourne "shin-boner spirit" as a cultural term is hilarious. They can put in a stack of weak efforts and lose multiple matches and you hear nothing, but as soon as they finally rebound and win one...."ooh, see thats the shin-boner spirit right there!"

Did the Crows have an amazing culture in 1997 or 1998? I'm not sure it was anything out of the ordinary for most of those years, but they were extremely fit in Sep, and superbly coached by Blighty.

I think maybe footy culture has changed where the boys used to play for the jumper type thing. There's still a few of those around (Tex) but I think majority now are money and future focussed. So that's one thing. I'm hoping this review will go someway to identifying what ours is (good, bad or ugly). But clearly there are things happening at the Club that aren't working well, and these need to be rectified.

“Culture” is a word I see thrown around on BF a lot, nearly on a daily basis! So I would like to see the discussions go in more detail of what peoples’ opinions on “Crows culture” means.

Is it all toxic or all perfection? Or somewhere in between, and on par with most other clubs? Who are we referencing when talking about “culture”, the players, the coaches, the admins, the janitor, or...?

Lastly, are we equating “culture” with results? Say, if we hypothetically (for the sake of an argument) win the premiership next year, would that instantly evaporate your current thoughts on our “culture”?

You need to understand Proffesional sports culture against Grass Roots culture

Most believe footy culture is that of grass roots footy where everyone bands together and everyone is respected for their input as its all volunteer work

Getting all the past players to either sit on the committee, coach the A.,B,C's or juniors, cook the bbq, be the trainers or look after the oval, is actually vital, no one is turned away in fact the opposite they are encouraged to help and join

Proffesional teams are looking for the best candidates to fill their roles and pay them well, they dont care if they are from other clubs where as grass roots love loyalty and being part of the community and culture and those loyal servants are the most respected not the mercenaries that Proffesional sports teams look for

So what culture are we looking for

I think maybe footy culture has changed where the boys used to play for the jumper type thing. There's still a few of those around (Tex) but I think majority now are money and future focussed. So that's one thing. I'm hoping this review will go someway to identifying what ours is (good, bad or ugly). But clearly there are things happening at the Club that aren't working well, and these need to be rectified.
We have a national draft. Unless you get drafted by the club you barrack for, I think most of this "playing for the jumper" stuff is just bullshit sloganeering they use to sell tickets.

We have a national draft. Unless you get drafted by the club you barrack for, I think most of this "playing for the jumper" stuff is just bulls**t sloganeering they use to sell tickets.
Well then maybe it's actually a fan problem because we WANT them to play for the jumper? Are WE still caught up in that romantic view of what footy used to be?

We have a national draft. Unless you get drafted by the club you barrack for, I think most of this "playing for the jumper" stuff is just bulls**t sloganeering they use to sell tickets.

So what culture we looking for

Grass Roots culture where loyalty, community and are all that are relevant

Proffesional Culture, win at all costs and ensure profits are good, buy the best candidate

Well then maybe it's actually a fan problem because we WANT them to play for the jumper? Are WE still caught up in that romantic view of what footy used to be?
Well Port fans certainly are. They still think they're playing in a suburban league in the 1980's.

I just want our guys to behave like professionals and give their best in every game. I'm not sentimental about the guernsey and I don't really care about the mental tricks they use to psyche themselves up. Whatever works.

Agree about the whole ‘playing for the jumper’ stuff. One of the main reasons we made the finals for that three year stretch and went to the granny in ‘17 was because we played with flair, toughness and passion - having a lot of pride in the club and what we stood for. Notice that ‘We Fly As One’ was at the height of its popularity during those years - that statement was defining of our culture. We were a united club that 95% of the time would give their all.

The ‘17 GF definitely killed that spirit, looking back. Now that the passion has gone, I actually question whether we have that defining culture, seeing as the whole ‘We Fly As One’ brand is kind of irrelevant now with how divided the club and its fans seem to be at the moment. What I think we need to do to move forward is not just have a playing list/coaching staff/front office cleanout, but basically rebrand ourselves with a new marketing campaign, like how we replaced the 19th Man with WFA1 after Walsh was hired. It’s a big help towards beginning a new era, otherwise the memories of 18/19 will be stuck in the back of the club’s mind. You don’t even have to change the logo (lol), just create a new culture that our players can get behind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Culture" is driven from the top down.

Our corporate culture is one I've seen many times. The top end of the structure is spending all it's time "covering it's arse" and trying to convince everyone below that's it's all good and the problems are with the underlings. The underlings are spending all their time split between covering their own arses and whingeing about the top echelons nepotism.

Richard Branson said it best. (Paraphrasing) Look after your employees and they will look after you. The disconnect between the upper echelon and the lower ranks is a chasm.

I think culture at a club or organisation is a set of behavioral norms that become characteristic over time.

After nearly 3 decades, the things most said about the crows culture are things like being deeply conservative, risk averse, giving preference to players or employees with seniority, yet believing themselves to be professional and capable of beating anyone on their day.

"Culture" is driven from the top down.

Our corporate culture is one I've seen many times. The top end of the structure is spending all it's time "covering it's arse" and trying to convince everyone below that's it's all good and the problems are with the underlings. The underlings are spending all their time split between covering their own arses and whingeing about the top echelons nepotism.

Richard Branson said it best. (Paraphrasing) Look after your employees and they will look after you. The disconnect between the upper echelon and the lower ranks is a chasm.

I reckon you have hit the nail on the head

You are talking a corporate culture which is fine, that is what all AFL teams have and are looking for, success

Are we looking at a footy culture in what you see at Blackwood Footy club where people go there because they love the club win/lose/draw they will be back there , granted only a few hundred supporters but always there with their unrequired support. They will support the committee as it is made up of volunteers who put in their time which generally are long servants of the club whether they be coaches players or wifes or parents . They have lean times and good times but it doesn't lose their support

As culture is an intangible thing, it's the perfect term for commentators, coaches and players to bring up to explain either a poor or a good result, because you can't disprove it.

The North Melbourne "shin-boner spirit" as a cultural term is hilarious. They can put in a stack of weak efforts and lose multiple matches and you hear nothing, but as soon as they finally rebound and win one...."ooh, see thats the shin-boner spirit right there!"

Don't forget the "Bludz Kulcha!" from 5-6 years ago. Where is it now?

For a while my guess is that the Crows as an organisation hold particular football ideologies, some that are at odds with the majority of the competition. Ideas around the best 22, selection of senior players, individual performance and weight of numbers at contests are examples of approaches that can easily be seen from the outside. However this is assuming that the aforementioned actions are deliberate and planned, and not that the people employed in the football department simply have no idea and are just doing whatever, separate from any argument on the efficacy of our tactics and strategies.

Though I believe the Crows completely misread the direction the game would go in with 6-6-6, that is just a hunch.

I think culture at a club or organisation is a set of behavioral norms that become characteristic over time.

After nearly 3 decades, the things most said about the crows culture are things like being deeply conservative, risk averse, giving preference to players or employees with seniority, yet believing themselves to be professional and capable of beating anyone on their day.
Yep

"That's the way we do things around here..."

To me culture is defined by players wanting to stay even when the going gets tough. It's the straw that stirs the drink.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back