Crows Culture - good/bad/on par?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t think he could play his best footy?
Or felt he wasn’t best 22?
We turned him from a rookie pick to kicking 5 goals in a prelim.
I remember him getting games when he shouldn’t have.
He was inconsistent and is now a more experienced player entering his prime.
It happens.

Sloane staying was a big one. Easily could have gone back for “family reasons” and likely to have been offered more money by the lower rank teams. Tells me our culture isn’t as disastrous as what some media or fans are portraying. Unless Sloane is playing completely out of loyalty.
I think Sloane has a stronger loyalty than others he’s always stated he wants to be a one club player. He’s also on record as saying the AFL needs to allow special conditions for senior players so they can stay at clubs rather than be poached. So he wants to stay but knows the lure of poaching is real but he’d rather not be dragged away.

Always thought that the supporters were part of the culture of a football club. Some clubs seem more inclusive than others. But some are more interested in their supporters financial support rather than contributing to the running of the club. That privilege seems to be exclusive to a chosen few. I think we are this version. Which is fine when we have the right people but a real problem if we don’t.
Maybe in days of old where you’d hang out and have a drink and a meal with them? But in these days of instant photos/videos, and the ramifications if things go wrong they also go viral, they’d be not so willing? I remember up here years and years ago the lads who came over to a post match would hang around and have a few bevies and a chat. Now the bus waits for them and they are rushed out the door. The players association has also fought hard to limit the amount of fan contact they have. Clubs used to just waltz them out at will, any time, any day, and now that’s just not possible.

Well by your logic we should be blaming the AFL for our culture as you constantly state that they appoint 7 of the 9 board members.
Is Gill responsible for our good or bad culture?
Is this the case though

If this 7 go the AFL appoint the next 7 that have the say in how the club will operate as that 7 have the ability to hire any CEO they want who shapes the club

People talk about the fish rots at the head who appoints the board that controls everything in the club

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great article which relates to footy culture in the AFL

Results ahead of loyalty
By any measure Betts, 32, has been a great contributor to Adelaide since arriving at the club for the 2014 season.
Nevertheless, his output has declined and his best is clearly in the past.
AFL football is a ruthless business and the competition is moving steadily away from its suburban roots to a level of professionalism that demands results ahead of loyalty.
Many players, perhaps more than half, view the AFL in much the same way Nick Kyrgios sees tennis.
It is a job, a high-paying one, but will only be there for a short time and it is imperative to make as much money as possible.
Quite obviously, Betts is considering his options.
He has a year to run on his Crows contract, but there are clubs quite possibly prepared to hand him a two-year deal and a future mentoring or coaching position.
If Betts gets a deal, the Crows would be foolish not to do a deal which may net a worthwhile draft pick or two.

Great article which relates to footy culture in the AFL

Results ahead of loyalty
By any measure Betts, 32, has been a great contributor to Adelaide since arriving at the club for the 2014 season.
Nevertheless, his output has declined and his best is clearly in the past.
AFL football is a ruthless business and the competition is moving steadily away from its suburban roots to a level of professionalism that demands results ahead of loyalty.
Many players, perhaps more than half, view the AFL in much the same way Nick Kyrgios sees tennis.
It is a job, a high-paying one, but will only be there for a short time and it is imperative to make as much money as possible.
Quite obviously, Betts is considering his options.
He has a year to run on his Crows contract, but there are clubs quite possibly prepared to hand him a two-year deal and a future mentoring or coaching position.
If Betts gets a deal, the Crows would be foolish not to do a deal which may net a worthwhile draft pick or two.
I wonder if the person who sharted out this article thinks they came up with something really profound. I hope not for their sake.

I wonder if the person who sharted out this article thinks they came up with something really profound. I hope not for their sake.

No but so many football supporters believe they are following grass roots footy without the grass roots involvement because they put their hard earned cash into the club so they can be entertained

The culture of grass roots is only that of grass roots, AFL and proffessional sports do not have that loyalty factor as both clubs and players dont show it

No but so many football supporters believe they are following grass roots footy without the grass roots involvement because they put their hard earned cash into the club so they can be entertained

The culture of grass roots is only that of grass roots, AFL and proffessional sports do not have that loyalty factor as both clubs and players dont show it
The differences between playing in a surburban league and the AFL have been well documented around here. The only people who don't understand this sort of thing are Port supporters. I seriously doubt Crows fans, of all people, need to be lectured about the realities of playing in a professional league. We've had that reality hit us in the face over and over again.

The differences between playing in a surburban league and the AFL have been well documented around here. The only people who don't understand this sort of thing are Port supporters. I seriously doubt Crows fans, of all people, need to be lectured about the realities of playing in a professional league. We've had that reality hit us in the face over and over again.

Obviously not the way Sam Jacobs didn't support his so called mates as he was more worried about his professional career

Obviously not the way Sam Jacobs didn't support his so called mates as he was more worried about his professional career
That was mostly bad luck though. We had a bunch of talls not available to play and Jacobs exacerbated the problem. If we didn't have those personnel issues, I doubt anybody would have given a crap about what Jacobs was doing.

That was mostly bad luck though. We had a bunch of talls not available to play and Jacobs exacerbated the problem. If we didn't have those personnel issues, I doubt anybody would have given a crap about what Jacobs was doing.

I agree it was bad timing

But this board didn't see it that way, most declared Jacobs everything under the sun, I say it as a proffessional player playing a proffessional sport

Which would obviously never happen at Grass roots level as the culture is totally different

But if the champion player came back to a grass roots club to put his time into the club it would actually be welcomed with open arms, is that what we see with Roo or Birdman or Clarke or Smart or Jamieson infact our supporters dont want to see them again. That is the grass roots v proffesional, not saying there is anything wrong with the proffessional culture, but people need to understand it and not compare it too grass roots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s not a mitigation, that’s the problem

He was needed, it was his turn to go. He didn’t go
I'm not defending the guy. It was a dick move. I'm just saying there probably wouldn't have been such a hostile reaction from fans if we had our talls ready and pulverised Port the same way we did Norwood.

How about a different take...

How is our culture different to the AFL clubs that are regular top 4s (Eagles, Tigers, Pies, Cats) as opposed to the clubs who are regular bottom 4s (Suns, Blues, Saints)?

Are there any notable differences?

Meh. Players play for a few reasons.
1. Money.
2. For their mates.
3. Inspired by a leader.
Outside of that they couldn't give a toss about the clubs history, social programs or creed.
1. Agree money comes first for both club and player

2. I suppose you make mates with guys you start working with

Its not exactly like a grass roots club where you play juniors and grow up with your mates

3. Yes a leader or boss certainly keeps you in a job or makes you leave one

How about a different take...

How is our culture different to the AFL clubs that are regular top 4s (Eagles, Tigers, Pies, Cats) as opposed to the clubs who are regular bottom 4s (Suns, Blues, Saints)?

Are there any notable differences?
Not at all it's all about the money money money

As is any professional sport

1. Agree money comes first for both club and player

2. I suppose you make mates with guys you start working with

Its not exactly like a grass roots club where you play juniors and grow up with your mates

3. Yes a leader or boss certainly keeps you in a job or makes you leave one

There can be cliques at clubs and new players might not fit into that clique. There was talk of one at Adelaide with Tex and his mates not including the young blokes, so I think if a player hasn't really got embraced by the group he might be more likely to leave.
Wingard was someone who didnt have many friends at Port. He was an outsider and as such it wasn't as big a deal to leave. Bernie Vince on the other hand was loved by the playing group and him leaving was very upsetting to him.

There can be cliques at clubs and new players might not fit into that clique. There was talk of one at Adelaide with Tex and his mates not including the young blokes, so I think if a player hasn't really got embraced by the group he might be more likely to leave.
Wingard was someone who didnt have many friends at Port. He was an outsider and as such it wasn't as big a deal to leave. Bernie Vince on the other hand was loved by the playing group and him leaving was very upsetting to him.

True some people make friends easy some don't

I wonder if Keath has made many friends or the 4 years 600K he wants outweighs that

True some people make friends easy some don't

I wonder if Keath has made many friends or the 4 years 600K he wants outweighs that
I fully understand Keaths point of view. He wants as long a contract as he can get. If he signs a 2 year deal at AFC then he will probably not get another 2 years at good money after that, so for his security he wants a four year deal.
It does make you wonder what the point of going hard after Greenwood and Keath as Cat B rookies was if we just let them roll out a couple of years later.

I fully understand Keaths point of view. He wants as long a contract as he can get. If he signs a 2 year deal at AFC then he will probably not get another 2 years at good money after that, so for his security he wants a four year deal.
It does make you wonder what the point of going hard after Greenwood and Keath as Cat B rookies was if we just let them roll out a couple of years later.

I agree with Keath its a professional sport your in it for a short time not a long time as was the case with Sam Jacobs or Eddie betts both could be three club players no loyalty there but if the shoe was on the other foot poor Matthew Signorelli has lasted after a couple of short years at the club

Greenwood and keath were great buys, you buy low sell high, the club has won out of that

Its all about the money or value you can gain for club or players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back