List Mgmt. Crows Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

This lock down defender thing

I don't know your posting history so not sure if trolling or just daft.

Whole conversation is that there used to be players in the AFL whose entire career and selection within an AFL team was based purely on shutting down a direct AFL opponent.

In todays AFL this is becoming rare as AFL teams are requiring players to also be able to be very attacking.

Whole conversation is that there used to be players in the AFL whose entire career and selection within an AFL team was based purely on shutting down a direct AFL opponent.

In todays AFL this is becoming rare as AFL teams are requiring players to also be able to be very attacking.
This is how I understand it too. It’s a player who is selected to do a defensive job, with little expectation they will contribute much else.

You can argue how tight the defensive focus is, or was but eg Daniel Talia’s job was to stop the best key forward, plus I guess contribute to whatever zone defence we were running. I assume he wasn’t expected to play a significant role in anything else. His value was his value as a defensive defender.

What is daft is this lock down defender title BS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is daft is this lock down defender title BS
Back in our day we called them full backs and back pockets.
Half back flankers and centre half backs have always had a licence to attack, even when I was playing under 17’s so many decades ago :(

The game has evolved now where instead of the ‘lockdown’ players killing the ball and forcing a stoppage they can run off their man to set up an attacking play. It’s good when it works but it’s terrible when it doesn’t, like Charlie Cameron last year.

Back in our day we called them full backs and back pockets.
Half back flankers and centre half backs have always had a licence to attack, even when I was playing under 17’s so many decades ago :(

The game has evolved now where instead of the ‘lockdown’ players killing the ball and forcing a stoppage they can run off their man to set up an attacking play. It’s good when it works but it’s terrible when it doesn’t, like Charlie Cameron last year.
Lock down is such a BS title they are all defenders

Lock down is such a BS title they are all defenders
No… give it a go

It’s actually something coaches and recruiters etc talk about

Modern day defenders have changed , most are very offensive and able to come off their man at right times to provide offence

I’d say Butts is only one we have that I’d call pure lockdown

Murray , Keane , Worrell , Max etc all have an ability to find plenty of the ball themselves and help offence

No… give it a go

It’s actually something coaches and recruiters etc talk about

Modern day defenders have changed , most are very offensive and able to come off their man at right times to provide offence

I’d say Butts is only one we have that I’d call pure lockdown

Murray , Keane , Worrell , Max etc all have an ability to find plenty of the ball themselves and help offence
I just don’t like the title Lock down, it’s always been for the defender to beat his opponent, and set up their attacks, I just think the term lock down is bull s**t, modern day term but the principle has always been the same

I just don’t like the title Lock down, it’s always been for the defender to beat his opponent, and set up their attacks, I just think the term lock down is bull s**t, modern day term but the principle has always been the same
Yep but you admit it’s a thing in AFL these days which it is

Fair enough if you don’t rate it ( which is what you’re telling us )

I do believe defences have changed massively from our days playing footy

Go watch Darcy Moore live for example and Alex Rance before him ….. that type of style of defender didn’t exist back in the 1980s where the game was very 1 on 1

Now some of the most attacking players play in the backlines eg Nick Daicos in debut year , Wayne Milera etc

Max is actually the next level defender coming through that will eventually be able to provide high level offence as well as elite defence

Yep but you admit it’s a thing in AFL these days which it is

Fair enough if you don’t rate it ( which is what you’re telling us )

I do believe defences have changed massively from our days playing footy

Go watch Darcy Moore live for example and Alex Rance before him ….. that type of style of defender didn’t exist back in the 1980s where the game was very 1 on 1

Now some of the most attacking players play in the backlines eg Nick Daicos in debut year , Wayne Milera etc

Max is actually the next level defender coming through that will eventually be able to provide high level offence as well as elite defence
When he’s called a lock down defender to me it’s just a defender doing his job

Remove this Banner Ad

Back