hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The Eddie Betts story is the saddest of the lot. They’re trying to build this narrative that he’s come home. Truth is, he left it.
The saddest bit is they gave him a new contract.

He didn't deserve one.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
The saddest bit is they gave him a new contract.

He didn't deserve one.
It was interesting the media narrative did a 180 on him and his club once he went back to Melbourne.

He's on the rookie list, but it seems Teague may have let his personal feelings for Betts get in the way. It's a hard one, because I can understand why he'd be a quality resource to have around the club, but he's a cameo guy now and even those are coming further and further apart.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Great player. Horrible man manager.
He genuinely is terrible. Just doesn't get it at all.

Watching it through the documentary, it feels like he's putting on an act. Like he's trying to be this older statesman type of person. It's the sort of thing you do when you are feeling inadequate.

Meanwhile, his messaging is just negative, negative, negative. You can see he learnt from Rocket eade. Even when he tries to be positive, he finishes it with something negative. His handling of Coniglio was atrocious. All he did was constantly tell Cogs he was out of form and to try harder. That's it.
The contrast between the way Cameron responds to a loss and the way Dimma responds could not be more stark.

Thank the Lord we don't have that muppet at our club!

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
It was interesting the media narrative did a 180 on him and his club once he went back to Melbourne.

He's on the rookie list, but it seems Teague may have let his personal feelings for Betts get in the way. It's a hard one, because I can understand why he'd be a quality resource to have around the club, but he's a cameo guy now and even those are coming further and further apart.
They should have retired him and found a role for him at the club. Everyone loves Eddie, so I'm sure some corporate/membership type role would have worked. Hell, Modra has been doing it for 20 years.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
They should have retired him and found a role for him at the club. Everyone loves Eddie, so I'm sure some corporate/membership type role would have worked. Hell, Modra has been doing it for 20 years.

Was always moving back to Melbourne post-career here I recall.

Problem is, he wants to keep playing as long as possible.

From the exit meeting in the Doco where they said it is all mental and not physical, i would have to agree. And, I don't think that has changed going by last night's spot on AFL360. The mental doubts are still there.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Was always moving back to Melbourne post-career here I recall.

Problem is, he wants to keep playing as long as possible.

From the exit meeting in the Doco where they said it is all mental and not physical, i would have to agree. And, I don't think that has changed going by last night's spot on AFL360. The mental doubts are still there.
I don't agree. I think he has lost a bit of his zip. Once that happens, rather than having that small gap he uses to get away and kick the freak goal, he gets caught. It happens to everyone eventually. It looks like it has happened to Eddie as well.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I don't agree. I think he has lost a bit of his zip. Once that happens, rather than having that small gap he uses to get away and kick the freak goal, he gets caught. It happens to everyone eventually. It looks like it has happened to Eddie as well.
A number of calf injuries now too.... He's done.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Noticed a ton in 2019 that he'd be 40 metres out and look to handball it off. Doesn't have the juice in his legs anymore to kick a goal from there for certain.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
David Teague telling Eddie it was his mind, not his body, that was the issue was a bit odd. It's clearly his body
Bit of both I reckon. Family is an enormous part of who he is, being away from them wouldn't have been easy.

But his body is also failing.

He's 34 and has played small forward for 15 years, it was time to go IMO

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I actually went and rewatched this part this morning
100 % player attention
His 3/4 delivery just as good the Richmond way and jumper all about team and the destination they can write
Powerful
And it wasn't a "ra ra ra" rant.

Just a reminder to work with the system they all know. No expectation to do anything they don't know, but to play to the system in place. No moving the magnets to try something. Punting a player in a position they don't know.

Superb coaching.

Modern AFL Footy is about having a proven match winning system in place and the players/coaches to implement it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just finished watching all 7 episodes. Definitely worth a watch in my opinion. Here's my takeaways

- My opinion and respect for Nicks has improved a lot watching him operate behind the scenes. His messaging was right up there with the best coaches shown. He is clearly not just trying to improve us on field, but fix our club culture. He is setting standards and putting it to the playing group to deliver.

- Before watching I wasn't sold on Sloane as a captain and was concerned about some of the strange things he's been saying lately. But my opinion of him as a captain improved substantially. He acts on and off the field around the club as a leader, based on what I saw, and his voice on the field is very good. I think it shows why he was voted in as captain again

- The only other person at Adelaide that was shown that is worth mentioning is Godden. I don't think he was impressive and can see why he was sacked. Says a lot of stuff, but nothing of any substance. It was a shame we didn't get to see more of Hart because I doubt he would have been seen favorably either.

- My opinion on Damien Hardwick has reversed course. I used to think he was a bit of a sh*thead. But watching him operate it is clear he is one of the best coaches in the league. His messaging to his players was absolutely outstanding; head and shoulders above anyone else shown. The way he speaks commands respect and attention, which is why he has ultimate buy in from his players.

- Richmond are extremely well run. The way the entire club continually speaks about culture and the importance they place on culture is something so far from how we were operating is not funny. Everything they do is about culture and winning. From top to bottom. That's the benchmark for where we need to be.

- I was surprised with how good Adam Simpson was. His media appearances are a bit bland but I think he speaks well. He really knows what he is doing and what he wants. Nic Nat is exactly what I expected.

- Eddie Betts is a great person. I was hoping they'd dive more into the reasons he left Adelaide for Carlton but that was basically glossed over. Didn't feature as much as I expected over the series. Not sure what to make of David Teague as a head coach though. Seems like a guy that would use the word "learnings" and "synergy" a lot.

- GWS are a shambles. Leon Cameron appears to have lost the players, his passionate/angry speeches trying to fire up the players had basically no effect. He seemed a bit clueless and a lot of his talk was unimpressive and shallow. Stephen Coniglio is a baffling choice as captain, he doesn't seem like he knows how to lead at all. Half way through he's seen reading a book on leadership from the pope or something to get ideas. Some of his speeches as a leader were poor. I expect GWS to perform poorly again and don't understand at all why Leon's contract was extended, wouldn't surprise me if he is sacked.

- Stewart Dew strikes me as a coach that's switched on and knows what to do, but doesn't have the list to do it yet. As soon as the talent is there, I reckon he has the tools. Rowell looks extremely impressive. Dew seems to have a great balance between getting around his players and putting them to the sword when they are underperforming.

- Amazon's production values are excellent. I loved the audio work during matches. Like the Ashes documentary I don't think they were trying to "expose" too many dodgy things going on at the clubs, or put the spotlight on poor performances, but I still felt like I got a lot of insight into how the clubs operate and especially the people they were following. I'd love to see a follow-up season looking at Chris Fagan at Brisbane, and Patrick Dangerfield at Geelong (especially if he loses another grand final)

Excellent summary mate.

Love Sloane as a player as person, wasn’t convinced as Captain - but I am now. His positivity and energy and attitude is exactly what we need now.

Good to see Tex still being a leader and backing Sloane in.

Simpson very impressive. Cameron very underwhelming. Cogniglio should not be the Captain of that club - but I’m even more convinced Cameron is the only reason they didn’t win a flag over the last few years.

Richmond as expected - professional, disciplined and focused from the top down.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d watch a documentary on Richmond that starts with their 100-plus point belting at the hands of Sydney in the last game of 2016, and then tracks what they did at the club from there on, to become what they are now.

Same with Geelong at the end of 2006.

I reckon they’re just about the two most compelling football stories of the last two decades.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I’d watch a documentary on Richmond that starts with their 100-plus point belting at the hands of Sydney in the last game of 2016, and then tracks what they did at the club from there on, to become what they are now.

Same with Geelong at the end of 2006.

I reckon they’re just about the two most compelling football stories of the last two decades.
I feel like Geelong's story would best be told by a forensic accountant....

Back