News Crows FIXture 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubtful. The AFL know that Port are one collapse away from closing the doors. They will do everything they can to help prevent that - even if it is to promote artificial success
I wonder what would be better for Port.

1) West Coast, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Hawthorn, Geelong, Melbourne

2) Fremantle, Greater Western Sydney, Gold Coast, Adelaide, North Melbourne, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast

On one hand - You give them the biggest fan bases to bring in the crowds
On the other hand - You give them the weakest schedule possible so they can get wins and their own fans turn up.

Richmond v Carlton opening the season again

Woop. Dee. Doo.

GF rematch Friday night.
GAGF
Sick of the same game every year.

Just like I am sick of Essendon vs Collingwood ANZAC Day
And Melbourne vs Collingwood on Queens Birthday
And Richmond vs Melbourne on ANZAC Eve
And Richmond vs Essendon as the showcase of Indigenous Round
And North Melbourne vs xxxxx on Good Friday
And Hawthorn vs Geelong on Eastern Monday
And the old Sydney vs Collingwood stand alone Saturday Night in the split round.

They bit the bullet on one of them, now do it with the rest.

I've just done some research into these so called blockbusters the AFL barges down our throat from their inception through 2019 (2020-21 I feel will add variables which messes with attendance stats over a prolonged period)

ANZAC Day - 84,782
Return bout - 63,707

Queens Birthday - 66,456
return bout - 44,064

ANZAC Eve - 70,895
return bout - 37,254

Dreamtime at the G - 73,560
return bout 56,598

Good Friday - 41,686
return bout - 31,270

Eastern Monday - 72,266
Return bout - 66,078

Season Kickoff - 77,751
Return bout - 56,672

A great rivalry doesn't need an event to make it special. In fact, a special event can actually hurt a rivalry.
The only "traditional" "blockbuster" which can even hold any interest without the event is Hawthorn vs Geelong

Now, I focused on just the ANZAC Day game in a thread on the main board earlier this year, and the common response is "but the return bout is later in the season and form comes into account" 1stly (and a point I didn't make the last time) - 38% of the return bouts of Queens Birthday were actually earlier in the season (First 4 rounds). - Still averaged ~20k less than Queens Birthday, just like the 62% of return bouts later in the season. 2ndly - Look at other big rivalry matchups

Essendon vs Carlton 1998-2019
1st game - 60,295
2nd game - 58,998

Carlton vs Collingwood 2001-2013
1st game - 72,507
2nd game - 68,024

Adelaide vs Port Adelaide 1997-2019
1st game - 44,934
2nd game - 44,962

West Coast vs Fremantle 1995-2019
1st game - 38,159
2nd game - 38,418

Form barely touches these rivalries. So why does it offset the "blockbusters" - I just believe that to their fans, the event takes hold and they care about that. But they don't care about their other games. They become run of the mill every day games. Probably not intentional, but a Collingwood fan thinking about ANZAC Day - I love the atmosphere, the dead silence into the deafening roar. But when thinking about the return game - eh, it isn't ANZAC day. It leads to apathy and that could lead to a lowered interest in that game and it can hinder the rivalry. But if you ask that same Collingwood fan about Carlton, 'it's the old enemy, would love to beat them' - There wont be as many negative thoughts about either of the Carlton vs Collingwood games in a year which you might have towards the non-Anzac Essendon-Collingwood games.

And that's what I believe, a strong rivalry doesn't need a standalone match to make it something. It's already something big in itself. And I truly believe your Richmond vs Essendons, your Richmond vs Carltons, your Collingwood vs Essendons etc. would be better for the rivalry if they didn't have a standalone game that was theirs, and it would be better for the league if you get these games based off of merit. Whether it's defending premiers kicking off the season. Or a Grand Final replay on ANZAC Day. I think that would spark more peoples interest in the league. Cause alot of fans (particularly non-Victorians) are gaining a sense of apathy towards the league and their pro-Victorian bias.

A little touch I would love to see from the AFL though is take into account state holidays. I was doing my own fixture for 2022 (I blew it up about 70% in as I dug a hole that confused me that I wanted to restart it and make it a whole lot simpler. But I just gave up). Using the dates of 2022, why not have Monday night football in Rd 7 (Brisbane vs xxxx on QLD's Labour day), Rd 11 (Greater Western Sydney vs xxxx on ACT's Reconciliation Day - I would also like to make this indigenous round because of that holiday, as it adds a little bit more meaning to the round too), Rd 12 (Fremantle/West Coast vs xxxx on WA's WA Day), Rd 13 (Something somewhere - But must be night - It's Queens Birthday.......But not in WA and Qld, having now seen that, I dont like how we currently have a game being played when 2 states are at work.) and Rd 20 (Gold Coast vs xxxx for their Darwin game on Picnic Day). You could have these games earlier (ie 6pm Eastern) it's late enough that everyone can watch it (except those in Perth........which contradicts my point on Queens Birthday, a little) but early enough that everyone can still get ready for work/school etc. the next day.

A great rivalry doesn't need an event to make it special. In fact, a special event can actually hurt a rivalry.
The only "traditional" "blockbuster" which can even hold any interest without the event is Hawthorn vs Geelong

All the manufactured rivalry games funnily enough only ever involve Vic teams too.
Anzac Day - Vic v Vic
Queen's Bday - Vic v Vic
Season opener - Vic v Vic
Dreamtime - Vic v Vic
Good Friday - Vic v Vic (other teams have played on Good Friday but are not "the" good friday game, same with Anzac day)
Easter Monday - Vic v Vic

These are all the games they tell us we should care about. Why? Because they're otherwise irrelevant but involve Vic clubs being gifted good timeslots. We should be invested in them because they're marquee games! Muh traditions.

Showdowns have a history of delivering on the big game hype. So what do we get? Saturday night and Sunday twilight. Western derby? Best I can do is Sunday WA twilight. This whole "ownership" over an event is rubbish.

We don't even want a public holiday for the Showdowns. Just give us a Friday night.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Interested to see who North will play round 1 and weather that team will go after JHF in the mould Collingwood went after Watts

People at North saying already he's a mixture of Voss, Dangerfield and Dusty will ruffle a few feathers

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
That'd piss me off

Would mean Port would've been scheduled to host the 1st showdown SIX straight times................Yet lets rewind to the 2013 offseason "But the games flip-flip every year so it's our turn to host the first game"

Apart from last year, there's always been 2. I don't understand why this is of any concern at all. First or second, it's the same thing.

Klug

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens FC
All the manufactured rivalry games funnily enough only ever involve Vic teams too.
Anzac Day - Vic v Vic
Queen's Bday - Vic v Vic
Season opener - Vic v Vic
Dreamtime - Vic v Vic
Good Friday - Vic v Vic (other teams have played on Good Friday but are not "the" good friday game, same with Anzac day)
Easter Monday - Vic v Vic

These are all the games they tell us we should care about. Why? Because they're otherwise irrelevant but involve Vic clubs being gifted good timeslots. We should be invested in them because they're marquee games! Muh traditions.

Showdowns have a history of delivering on the big game hype. So what do we get? Saturday night and Sunday twilight. Western derby? Best I can do is Sunday WA twilight. This whole "ownership" over an event is rubbish.

We don't even want a public holiday for the Showdowns. Just give us a Friday night.

Living in Vic, I'm sick to death of hearing the oversaturated media here bang on about "big" Vic clubs, and the hold they have over the fixturing.

Carlton and Essendon have been poor sides for the majority of the past 2 decades yet year after year they get prime fixtures. Who could forget Carlton ruining Fri night footy a few years back where they got something like 8 games, and were absolutely pathetic.

The Bulldogs and Melbourne are much better to watch currently than the so called big clubs, and will be fascinating what sort of prime time games they get in 2022.

The Rich v Carl round 1 snorefest is a complete joke, and one of best examples of the AFLs Vic bias

The manufactured "traditional" season opening hasn't even been around for that long. I remember the Gabba had the season opener in the mid 2000s which was when the Scott brothers were bumping Riewoldt with his sore shoulder.

Put the best teams on in the best times, irrespective of which clubs they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in Vic, I'm sick to death of hearing the oversaturated media here bang on about "big" Vic clubs, and the hold they have over the fixturing.

Carlton and Essendon have been poor sides for the majority of the past 2 decades yet year after year they get prime fixtures. Who could forget Carlton ruining Fri night footy a few years back where they got something like 8 games, and were absolutely pathetic.

The Bulldogs and Melbourne are much better to watch currently than the so called big clubs, and will be fascinating what sort of prime time games they get in 2022.

The Rich v Carl round 1 snorefest is a complete joke, and one of best examples of the AFLs Vic bias

The manufactured "traditional" season opening hasn't even been around for that long. I remember the Gabba had the season opener in the mid 2000s which was when the Scott brothers were bumping Riewoldt with his sore shoulder.

Put the best teams on in the best times, irrespective of which clubs they are.
Just on this
A few months back I was looking at the history behind Friday Nights and 1 piece of information I found very interesting is that Carlton has played the least amount of Friday night games of all Victorian clubs.

Yeah, there was that 1 season. But besides that. Almost never on.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just on this
A few months back I was looking at the history behind Friday Nights and 1 piece of information I found very interesting is that Carlton has played the least amount of Friday night games of all Victorian clubs.

That isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Why waste the start of the weekend on them?

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Interested to see who North will play round 1 and weather that team will go after JHF in the mould Collingwood went after Watts

People at North saying already he's a mixture of Voss, Dangerfield and Dusty will ruffle a few feathers
Nobody really went after our kids this season when Cunners was around. If Cunners can't start the season because of his cancer then teams might put some work into him. Fogarty tried to run through JHF last year in the SANFL and got sat on his arse so JHF should be fine.

Just on this

They had a run of them for about 2 years in a row, numbers are probably skewed though because from memory a fair whack of them were Thursday games too (as the opener usually is).

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
We are due to play away in round one. Hopefully we don't get a trip to Perth to start the year. West Coast love a good start at home to beat up a bottom 6 side at home in perth in round 1.
would love Carlton at home. cant believe we have only played them 2 times at home in a decade. what a disgrace by the AFL.
Also would love the 1:15pm Sat arvo time slot over the 4:05/4:10 twilight time slot a bit more this year

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We are due to play away in round one. Hopefully we don't get a trip to Perth to start the year. West Coast love a good start at home to beat up a bottom 6 side at home in perth in round 1.
would love Carlton at home. cant believe we have only played them 2 times at home in a decade. what a disgrace by the AFL.
Also would love the 1:15pm Sat arvo time slot over the 4:05/4:10 twilight time slot a bit more this year
I don't think either Western Australian team will play at home before Easter, they're about to put up a hard border on the 23rd

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
I don't think either Western Australian team will play at home before Easter, they're about to put up a hard border on the 23rd

McGowan said this the other day

“The border will open eventually both internationally and to other states when the time is right in the first half of next year,” Mr McGowan said on Friday.

“We'll set a date in coming months, and then people will have that certainty.”

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
McGowan said this the other day

“The border will open eventually both internationally and to other states when the time is right in the first half of next year,” Mr McGowan said on Friday.

“We'll set a date in coming months, and then people will have that certainty.”
Which suggests potentially the first few rounds could be effected, let's hope they decide to open them in February, I guess it just depends what happens when the rest of Australia open their borders to each other

he's already won a covid election, wouldn't be up for a couple of years I'd have thought.
but open up and you give the opposition amunition if the deathtoll stack up

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
any whispers on who we are playing in round one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back