crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So fiveaa have had a competition for ports and crows greatest 10 players voted by kg and Cornes. Someone got the 10 today

Don’t remember all 10 but they had McDermott, McGuinness and A Jarman in there. Also D Jarman, McLeod, Roo, Hart, Rehn

Wouldn’t have had the first 3

Last edited:
So fiveaa have had a competition for ports and crows greatest 10 players voted by kg and Cornes. Someone got the 10 today

Don’t remember all 10 but they had McDermott, McGuinness and A Jarman in there. Also D Jarman, McLeod, Roo, Hart, Rehn

My 10 would be:

1) McLeod
2) Ricciuto
3) Goodwin
4) Hart
5) Edwards
6) D Jarman
7) Modra
8) Rehn
9) S Thompson
10) Tex

Honourable mentions:
Betts
Smart
McDermott
McGuinness
Johncock
Bickley
Sloane
Talia
Laird
Dangerfield

1. McLeod
2. Ricciuto
3. Modra
4. D. Jarman
5. Walker
6. Goodwin
7. Bickley
8. Hart
9. Edwards
10. Smart

1 Ricciuto
2 McLeod
3 Goodwin
4 D Jarman
5 Modra
6 Hart
7 Rehn
8 Walker
9 Smart
10 Betts

Best team

B: Hart, Talia, Johncock
HB: Smith, Bock, Smart
C: K Johnson, Ricciuto, Sloane
HF: Dangerfield, Walker, Edwards
F: Betts, Modra, D Jarman
R: Rehn, Goodwin, McLeod
I: Bickley, S Thompson Laird, Robran
Sub: Douglas
E: M Stevens, van Berlo, Lynch

Probably missed someone obvious...

Last edited:
1 Ricciuto
2 McLeod
3 Goodwin
4 D Jarman
5 Modra
6 Hart
7 Rehn
8 Walker
9 Smart
10 Betts

Best team

B: Hart, Talia, Johncock
HB: Smith, Bock, Smart
C: K Johnson, Ricciuto, Sloane
HF: Dangerfield, Walker, Edwards
F: Betts, Modra, D Jarman
R: Rehn, Goodwin, McLeod
I: Bickley, S Thompson Laird, Robran
Sub: Douglas
E: M Stevens, van Berlo, Lynch

Probably missed someone obvious...
Rutten!

The best 10

10. Taylor Walker
9. Ben Hart
8. Simon Goodwin
7. Rory Sloane
6. Shaun Rehn
5. Eddie Betts
4. Darren Jarman
3. Tony Modra
2. Andrew McLeod
1. Mark Ricciuto

There are many others I could list too. Scott Thompson, Mark Bickley, Patrick Dangerfield, Tyson Edwards, Andrew Jarman and more.

The best 10

10. Taylor Walker
9. Ben Hart
8. Simon Goodwin
7. Rory Sloane
6. Shaun Rehn
5. Eddie Betts
4. Darren Jarman
3. Tony Modra
2. Andrew McLeod
1. Mark Ricciuto

There are many others I could list too. Scott Thompson, Mark Bickley, Patrick Dangerfield, Tyson Edwards, Andrew Jarman and more.
Sloane and Betts better than walker you say?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree.

I was amazed Tex didn’t make the top 10 then again it was Cornes and KGs top 10 so there was obvious bias for McDermott, McGuinness and A Jarman given it should have been there AFC work not inc their SANFL careers. Lets see Tex has given 15 years service, the clubs leading goal kicker and rated best AFL captain two years in a row.

I totally agree.

I was amazed Tex didn’t make the top 10 then again it was Cornes and KGs top 10 so there was obvious bias for McDermott, McGuinness and A Jarman given it should have been there AFC work not inc their SANFL careers. Lets see Tex has given 15 years service, the clubs leading goal kicker and rated best AFL captain two years in a row.
I’m surprised anyone could have him below sloane and or Betts, especially when they are easily comparable as have played together.

1. Mark Riccuito
2. Andrew McLeod
3. Taylor Walker
4. Simon Goodwin
5. Tyson Edwards
6. Shaun Rehn
7. Darren Jarman
8. Tony Modra
9. Ben Hart
10. Nigel Smart

Honorable mentions
Mark Bickley, Rory Sloane, Scott Thompson, Eddie Betts, Graham 'Stiffy' Johncock, Ben Rutten, Brett Burton, Chris McDermott, Tony McGuiness, A Jarman

Question for those playing at home, have we underestimated the pure quality and star power of our premiership crows years? We never dominated the years but 9 of the top 10 greatest crows played in the same team.

Best ever 22

B: Hart, Rutten, Smart
HB: Edwards, Talia, Johncock
C: Goodwin, Riccuito, Sloane
HF: A Jarman, Walker, D Jarman
F: Betts, Modra, Burton
R: Rehn, Thompson, McLeod
I: Bassett, M Clarke, McGuiness, McDermott

• Backline really solid with Bassett on the bench.
  • That midfield rotation with the Jarman brothers squeezed out is OMG!
  • The forward line would outclass any defence.
  • Rehn and Clarke would dominate the ruck.

To put Dangerfield in? His crows years werent his best years. He was a young star but he really didnt smash the opposition until he got to Geelong and does he deserve a spot over the others? controversial I know. Some will argue McGuiness and McDermott could make way. But not on your life. They played state of origin every year and were the midfield generals in a very strong Sanfl and then from 1991 to 1996. Would Dangerfield get in based on his talent.. of course. But did he demonstrate it long enough at the crows, no.

Anyone who puts Ricciuto above McLeod needs to go back and actually look at some games from that 1998-2005 period, I know Roo won a Brownlow but McLeod was a different class to him and should have probably won 2 Brownlows if not let down by the rest of the team. I do contribute some of that to Ricciuto’s groin which was totally stuffed post 1997 but so was McLeod’s knee post ‘98 and to play that football he did on one knee is ridiculous.

Anyone who puts Ricciuto above McLeod needs to go back and actually look at some games from that 1998-2005 period, I know Roo won a Brownlow but McLeod was a different class to him and should have probably won 2 Brownlows if not let down by the rest of the team. I do contribute some of that to Ricciuto’s groin which was totally stuffed post 1997 but so was McLeod’s knee post ‘98 and to play that football he did on one knee is ridiculous.

McLeod was class but Riccuito simply drove the team forward. The arguments for both are genuinely identical. Either could be first or second. Its probably not worth the debate tbh. However if there is one crow id pick first in my 22 to go into battle against another top midfield its Riccuito any day of the week.

The criteria is important for this list. Modra & Jarman played at other clubs (AFL & SANFL). For me the greatest players has to take into account the time played for the crows. Best ever crows vs best players to play for crows.

My 10-
1. Roo
2. McLeod
3. Tex
4. Goody
5. Edwards
6. Hart
7. Sloane
8. Modra
9. D. Jarman
10. Betts

McLeod was class but Riccuito simply drove the team forward. The arguments for both are genuinely identical. Either could be first or second. It’s probably not worth the debate tbh. However if there is one crow id pick first in my 22 to go into battle against another top midfield its Riccuito any day of the week.
I reckon you can debate it a little, agree it’s not a big deal I just think if you go back and watch you can see Roo became a bit of a grab and bomb it long type of player, especially when he was having issues with his groin and lost the ability to run out of packs, there was more of a place for that player still at the time he played so when he lost his dynamism he could still impact through brute force but McLeod was a way more well rounded player that could still keep his level so high and make an impact when things weren’t going the teams way, he would chase down an opponent and do all the tough stuff and then have the ability to spring back and do the remarkable on the rebound.

I reckon you can debate it a little, agree it’s not a big deal I just think if you go back and watch you can see Roo became a bit of a grab and bomb it long type of player, especially when he was having issues with his groin and lost the ability to run out of packs, there was more of a place for that player still at the time he played so when he lost his dynamism he could still impact through brute force but McLeod was a way more well rounded player that could still keep his level so high and make an impact when things weren’t going the teams way, he would chase down an opponent and do all the tough stuff and then have the ability to spring back and do the remarkable on the rebound.
I think you’re forgetting about the rams gate.

My Top 10 and corresponding Tiers.

1. Andrew McLeod
2. Mark Riccuito

3. Taylor Walker
4. Simon Goodwin

5. Darren Jarman
6. Tony Modra
7. Ben Hart

8. Tyson Edwards
9. Eddie Betts

10. Shaun Rehn.

Next group in:

Scott Thompson, Mark Bickley, Nigel Smart, Rory Sloane.

Last edited:
My Top 10 and corresponding Tiers.

1. Andrew McLeod
2. Mark Riccuito

3. Taylor Walker
4. Simon Goodwin

5. Darren Jarman
6. Tony Modra
7. Tyson Edwards

8. Ben Hart
9. Eddie Betts

10. Shaun Rehn.

Next group in:

Scott Thompson, Mark Bickley, Nigel Smart, Rory Sloane.
Edwards above hart, did you take points off for harts coaching career with us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back