News Crows hires: Rahilly (forwards coach), Godden (SANFL coach), Chris Sheedy (analyst)

Remove this Banner Ad

Or anything of any use. Pure snake oil in this game.

Underrating the role of data/analytics based decision making in everything. I have no idea if Binuk is any good, and even if he is its hard to tie directly to results we see from the outside since we have no idea the weighting that his analysis had on each draftee.
Certain that data has a place in footy recruiting though beyond "snake oil".

Underrating the role of data/analytics based decision making in everything. I have no idea if Binuk is any good, and even if he is its hard to tie directly to results we see from the outside since we have no idea the weighting that his analysis had on each draftee.
Clarko rates the role of these guys in the game, they must be snake oil

I'm wondering if Kristof / Mego Red is actually Binuk. ;) ;)

Analytics is snakeoil if they tell you that's all you need.

In interviews Binuk has been open about the fact it's not and that it's in combination with traditional scouting (something he wanted to improve on himself) that you get the best results.
Nope. Everything must be in black and white. It's either big data or none at all.

We've gone from having almost no AFL experience outside of the Crows, to having 3 assistants who have been involved with big and successful clubs.

In other words, we have a proper AFL coaching panel.

I still can't believe it.

Had felt for a long time that we'd only value SA experience above all else, never really making an attempt to get assistants and coaching IP from outside the state (Teague and Milburn are the only ones that immediately come to mind) and content to run the line that the best people for the roles were already at the Crows.

Not withstanding that it's a poach from Port, was also quite pleased at the Chris Sheedy acquisition, as he offers something that Nicks is likely to be familiar with and I suspect an area we may have been falling behind in.

Data Analytics has a role in list decisions. However from what I've read/heard from our data man... tbh I'm a little skeptical of the level of sophistication we've got at the club currently.

Data Analytics has a role in list decisions. However from what I've read/heard from our data man... tbh I'm a little skeptical of the level of sophistication we've got at the club currently.
I guess that's why we've brought on another guy.

Tend to agree

From I listened to an interview from Binuk ages ago:

He values picks so that we can weigh trades. His pick valuation model is primarily based on games played. (Wonder if this is why we are always so ready to downgrade)

He has input to scouting and trades

He does not have input to salary negotiations. JR wasn’t interested in any analytics, he took care of that himself.

Seemed like a helpful team player who makes us better.

Tend to agree

From I listened to an interview from Binuk ages ago:

He values picks so that we can weigh trades. His pick valuation model is primarily based on games played. (Wonder if this is why we are always so ready to downgrade)

He has input to scouting and trades

He does not have input to salary negotiations. JR wasn’t interested in any analytics, he took care of that himself.

Seemed like a helpful team player who makes us better.

Valuing games played over anything else, truly the AFC way. It's why we have absolute champions like David Mackay.

Honestly if that is the level of sophistication he's at things are a lot more dire than I thought tbh. A first year statistics undergrad should be able to do better than that.

edit: Just looked at his likedIn... holy s**t there are a lot of red flags there. We might be in a LOT more trouble than I thought.

Last edited:
Valuing games played over anything else, truly the AFC way. It's why we have absolute champions like David Mackay.

Honestly if that is the level of sophistication he's at things are a lot more dire than I thought tbh. A first year statistics undergrad should be able to do better than that.

edit: Just looked at his likedIn... holy sh*t there are a lot of red flags there. We might be in a LOT more trouble than I thought.
I thought the same thing. But the reasonable caveat is that it would be in the AFC’s interests for him to give away as little as possible. I think our pick trades have been good.

And maybe we wouldn’t have committed so many big stupid contracts to old players if JR was more open to input. I can’t imagine the data is great on player performance post-30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

edit: Just looked at his likedIn... holy sh*t there are a lot of red flags there. We might be in a LOT more trouble than I thought.
What are the red flags to you in his resume?

I would love to have Rendell back working at the club, but if he did, I would have a clear "Rendell never talks to the media" rule in place.
Or ANYONE else... EVER! Lovely bloke. Good footy nous, but has absolutely no filter when it comes to what comes out of his mouth.

Guy and Girls, re Binuk Kodituwakku this may clear up what he does.

Suggest you listen to the conversation. Also, remember he started in Feb 2018 so he only been involved in 2 drafts. and two list changeovers.

What are the red flags to you in his resume?

Prior to joining us he had 3 different jobs with 3 different companies in 3 years, none of which represented what I'd view as a clear promotion. When you're moving sidways that frequently something doesn't add up.

His only statistical qualification is 'Applied econometrics' but it doesn't actually list what level the qualification is at. Given he studied it from 2017-2017 it can't be a masters as the University of Melbournes Masters in Applied Econometrics is a 2 year degree full time.

He only has a single Endorsement for Data Analytics, 1 for R (Justin Reid, so wasn't gained prior to his employment at the AFC) and none for SQL... but 11 people vouched for him knowing excel!

Prior to joining us he had 3 different jobs with 3 different companies in 3 years, none of which represented what I'd view as a clear promotion. When you're moving sidways that frequently something doesn't add up.

His only statistical qualification is 'Applied econometrics' but it doesn't actually list what level the qualification is at. Given he studied it from 2017-2017 it can't be a masters as the University of Melbournes Masters in Applied Econometrics is a 2 year degree full time.

He only has a single Endorsement for Data Analytics, 1 for R (Justin Reid, so wasn't gained prior to his employment at the AFC) and none for SQL... but 11 people vouched for him knowing excel!

Yep ... This is how I have always measured a person's ability.

LinkedIn profile search.

The guy probably just showed them some clever excel tricks like a decent vlookup into a pivot-table with some cool conditional formatting to get the position.

Good work Sherlock! With analysis like this, maybe you should apply for the job?

Yep ... This is how I have always measured a person's ability.

LinkedIn profile search.

The guy probably just showed them some clever excel tricks like a decent vlookup into a pivot-table with some cool conditional formatting to get the position.

Good work Sherlock! With analysis like this, maybe you should apply for the job?

... you do know people get headhunted off their linkedin profiles right?

It is a bit weird. A law and commerce double gives you minimal stats knowledge and 1 year of econometrics is nothing.

I know some people who've done quite a bit of data analytic learning on the job though or even in their own time. Could be one of those guys.

Linkedin is also mostly ridiculous. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know have terrible Linkedin profiles and they still have no problems with workplace mobility.

Oh I know plenty of people like that too, but that is because they don't bother putting much effort into linkedin because they don't have to. He seems to have put in a lot of effort; It's a well polished profile but it just doesn't hide the red flags for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back