News Crows hires: Rahilly (forwards coach), Godden (SANFL coach), Chris Sheedy (analyst)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh I know plenty of people like that too, but that is because they don't bother putting much effort into linkedin because they don't have to. He seems to have put in a lot of effort; It's a well polished profile but it just doesn't hide the red flags for me.
It just looks like he's gone on after uni and gained experience in various roles not really linked to his degree.

Like I said, I have some friends who got jobs out of uni not really relevant to their degree and now have vast knowledge in analytical software.

I know we hired Burton, but at least he had the benefit of being one of the boys. I really don't buy that the club hired a random who dabbled in R and excel and has still been able to keep his job to this day.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
LOL some people just look to find fault with everything....

I'll make my assessment on the bloke in time after I see his on field results with our list.

Get back to me at next season's end when he'll either have passed or failed the eye test and most importantly the scoreboard test.

Just remember who he's replacing....

Sleight of Hand

Debutant
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Full crows coaching panel

Matthew Nicks - head coach
James Rahilly - forwards coach
Nathan Van Berlo - midfield coach
Scott Burns - defense coach, senior assistant
Matthew Clarke - rucks coach, AFLW coach

Heath Younie - head of development
Mick Godden - SANFL coach
Brent Reilly - development coach
Matthew Wright - development coach

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

I'd say he has put quite a lot of effort in
For $50 there are people out there who will tidy up a Linkedin page, for More they will develop a decent social media Profile.
And you should know that.
Also, Linkedin is not the only tool HR companies will use to headhunt, in fact, I would say it's low on the totem pole. The World in regards to talent identification or headhunting (using an old school terminology) has come a long way in the last 10 years,

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
For $50 there are people out there who will tidy up a Linkedin page, for More they will develop a decent social media Profile.
And you should know that.
Also, Linkedin is not the only tool HR companies will use to headhunt, in fact, I would say it's low on the totem pole. The World in regards to talent identification or headhunting (using an old school terminology) has come a long way in the last 10 years,

Yes I am aware of all of this (Well to a degree, your ideas on headhunting are a bit simplistic but it's not a relevant tangent to discuss).

None of which is in any way relevant to my point that he seems vastly underqualified.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes I am aware of all of this (Well to a degree, your ideas on headhunting are a bit simplistic but it's not a relevant tangent to discuss).

None of which is in any way relevant to my point that he seems vastly underqualified.
Well can you list some examples of people, on LinkedIn or elsewhere, that you think would be who we shoulda got?

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Prior to joining us he had 3 different jobs with 3 different companies in 3 years, none of which represented what I'd view as a clear promotion. When you're moving sidways that frequently something doesn't add up.

Good chance that they're engagements he had with his consulting company at a guess, so not sure the timeline is an issue in and of itself. Agreed it doesn't read like the top shelf data analyst he's talked up as though.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well can you list some examples of people, on LinkedIn or elsewhere, that you think would be who we shoulda got?

No, but I can give you some criteria as a bare minimum

1)A proper statistical qualification. e.g. bachelors of statistics, masters of data science
2)a solid work history related to data analytics
3)no red flags of moving between multiple companies, staying there for on average a year or less, unless it is clearly a career progression.

Needless to say there are a LOT of people that fill this criteria.

Last edited:

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

1)A proper statistical qualification. e.g. bachelors of statistics, masters of data science
3)no red flags of moving between multiple companies, staying there for on average a year or less, unless it is clearly a career progression.

I went on to linkedin just now and looked up people in similar roles to Binuk, from what i can see most of them have about the same or less educational attainment than he has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

The first job he had of his last 3 was with the Washington Wizards in the US in the corporate side of things. After a year he moved back to Australia because he wanted to work in football. Got a job at a betting agency, a year later took a job with a rival startup, all the while he was consulting with Freo's list manager and working with Nick Maxwell on his own stuff. There's no real red flags there except for a guy moving jobs until he could get one in the field he wanted.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Na Most Top HR companies use various Programs that look everywhere for potential fill,
Side note Ensure your Facebook and Twitter etc is Clean and your friend list is safe re- future work, more so if your planning to get into a company that involved in military contracts, they do get looked at.
The bigger and so call best HR companies also track potentials years in advance depending on the level of employment, and have a list of Names ready for Potential customers.
My problem with Linkedin is the basic Linkedin account most on here has access to, these days it used more to inform people not to recruit people unless of course you at the next level. which costs,
Personally, I use it as a way to stay in touch, cleaner than Facebook and Twitter and more controlled,

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Am I right in saying that despite the soft cap cuts we have only lost one development role which was basically Thomo's?
Given we now have Godden as a SANFL coach we're breaking even on the development front.

We had Paul Thomas, Brent Reilly and Matthew Wright as development coaches with Younie as SANFL coach/Development Manager. We've now got Godden, Reilly, Wright and Younie.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given we now have Godden as a SANFL coach we're breaking even on the development front.

We had Paul Thomas, Brent Reilly and Matthew Wright as development coaches with Younie as SANFL coach/Development Manager. We've now got Godden, Reilly, Wright and Younie.

A stronger assistants panel will help as well.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Loving the fact that Rahilly is the forwards coach. Would have vomited if we handed over our shiny new no 1 pick to Ben Hart.

Lots of experience with top quality young players (Selwood/Hawkins). Very young forward line now especially if you take away a cooked Tex.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Did we pick him up on the rookie list so we could save coin ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back