2nds Crows in SANFL season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
What the AFL commission that the clubs vote in

They would have no trouble in creating a junior league in the same fashion they created a Womens league

The clubs don't vote them in. The commission appoint replacements in the same way our board does for all but the 2 'member elect' positions that we fill with retired footballers. The clubs can veto an appointment by a 2/3's (from memory) majority vote from the clubs. So, only 7 clubs need to vote for an appointment, 2 of which are directly controlled by the AFL and a fair number reliant on AFL funding to stay afloat. The AFL have been very good at centralising revenue to the greatest extent possible, meaning that a number of clubs can't stand on their own 2 feet, even though they create the product, they still need the AFL to dole out the fruits of their labour.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The clubs don't vote them in. The commission appoint replacements in the same way our board does for all but the 2 'member elect' positions that we fill with retired footballers. The clubs can veto an appointment by a 2/3's (from memory) majority vote from the clubs. So, only 7 clubs need to vote for an appointment, 2 of which are directly controlled by the AFL and a fair number reliant on AFL funding to stay afloat. The AFL have been very good at centralising revenue to the greatest extent possible, meaning that a number of clubs can't stand on their own 2 feet, even though they create the product, they still need the AFL to dole out the fruits of their labour.

Come on the discussion is about development of juniors in SA

Simple mathematics will tell you why our percentage of draftees will decrease

Unless you think the multi millions the AFL are spending on NSW QLD and the TAC are a waste of money and will not create a return

It's up to the Commission if they wish to spend $$$ in SA and how they spend them unless you think the SANFL has that power

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Come on the discussion is about development of juniors in SA

Simple mathematics will tell you why our percentage of draftees will decrease

Unless you think the multi millions the AFL are spending on NSW QLD and the TAC are a waste of money and will not create a return

It's up to the Commission if they wish to spend $$$ in SA and how they spend them unless you think the SANFL has that power

I wasn't referring to anything that you have responded with. I was simply addressing your flawed statement that the club's vote in the commission. No more,no less.

AndrewJo

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Redbacks.
Harrison Wigg seems to have been a player marked to be delisted or moved on for season 2018 bu Big Footy posters. It has been a bit disappointing that he was not given a chance to show his talent this year but obviously the form of Brown, Smith,Laird and Kelly have been in his usual position to play, thus keeping him from making his debut.. Harrison has obvious talent, being chosen in the SANFL Team of the Year and polling the highest votes in the Magarey Medal. For those who have actually seen some SANFL games this year can you give a resume of his strengths and weaknesses. I only saw a handful of games but was convinced that he was a strong reserve for the AFL team. I certainly hope he will be given another contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Harrison Wigg seems to have been a player marked to be delisted or moved on for season 2018 bu Big Footy posters. It has been a bit disappointing that he was not given a chance to show his talent this year but obviously the form of Brown, Smith,Laird and Kelly have been in his usual position to play, thus keeping him from making his debut.. Harrison has obvious talent, being chosen in the SANFL Team of the Year and polling the highest votes in the Magarey Medal. For those who have actually seen some SANFL games this year can you give a resume of his strengths and weaknesses. I only saw a handful of games but was convinced that he was a strong reserve for the AFL team. I certainly hope he will be given another contract.

It depends on what he wants to do. After 3 years on the list he might request a trade for more opportunities. I'm sure there will be plenty of suitors as he's shown enough in my eyes to get the chance to step up into another AFL team.
Wigg can play on ball or across half back .When drafted his kicking was described as elite but he hasn't quite lived up to that reputation, still a good kick. Did get large numbers for the Crows this year and was very unlucky not to have played at least one game in the AFL.
There's a knock on his endurance but from the games I saw he ran hard all day. Not tall or a great overhead mark but that's not his forte, drafted as a running rebounding defender who could find a target further up field.
Played a lot in the midfield in the SANFL, was good around stoppages. Frustrating year for Harrison, I'm not sure where he sits in the thinking of the AFC hierarchy.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
It depends on what he wants to do. After 3 years on the list he might request a trade for more opportunities. I'm sure there will be plenty of suitors as he's shown enough in my eyes to get the chance to step up into another AFL team.
Wigg can play on ball or across half back .When drafted his kicking was described as elite but he hasn't quite lived up to that reputation, still a good kick. Did get large numbers for the Crows this year and was very unlucky not to have played at least one game in the AFL.
There's a knock on his endurance but from the games I saw he ran hard all day. Not tall or a great overhead mark but that's not his forte, drafted as a running rebounding defender who could find a target further up field.
Played a lot in the midfield in the SANFL, was good around stoppages. Frustrating year for Harrison, I'm not sure where he sits in the thinking of the AFC hierarchy.
More likely to be offered a rookie contract somewhere I'd think??

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Aren't they doing away with Rookie contracts?
There's been talk but not aware if it's been tabled officially.

According to the new CBA agreement it appears not as yet?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-20/players-get-20-per-cent-pay-rise-in-new-cba

In other key details contained in the agreement:

• All Tribunal fines will be part of an annual contribution of $250,000 for concussion research
  • WA clubs will receive 12 business class airfares per flight when doing east/west travel
  • Category A rookies will be eligible to play from round one next season
  • 'Rested' players or 'held over' travelling emergencies left out of their senior team will receive match payments
  • Players have agreed to licence their personal GPS data to be made available to clubs and broadcasters with specified limitations

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If they wanted a player of his ilk [slowish inside mid] they would have kept Jarryd Lyons, more to do with list construct I would have thought.

I think they go the talent first there is no guarantee any of them will make it so you would pick on talent first considering your less than a 50 % chance of picking a player that makes it

Then you need to keep them

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Come on the West Horsham Ravens

Or Pinaroo Ravens? Ok, ok ... Boinka Ravens if they insist on being inside Victoria.

[w.abc.net.au] money-seized-by-nsw-police-as-part-of-a-drug [e].jpg

5.05.jpg

Last edited:

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
For all the old Double Blues supporters.......
Either Peter Motley is taller than I remember, has big heals on his shoes, or old 'tractor brain' Davies has shrunk a bit. His marking ability was sensational, taking many unbelievable screamers, but he had the all round class to go with it. Motley was one of the most exciting and naturally gifted players I have had the pleasure of watching. Pity we did not get the chance to see how high his ceiling actually was. Great to see him laughing and enjoying himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back