2nds Crows in SANFL season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

So what happens to OneClub then ?? The SANFL would loathe to lose them from the comp. As much as I like this idea I reckon it has serious consequences for the state leagues.

If the state leagues hate having AFL-affiliated sides and treat them like s**t, they should be prepared to pay the consequences when the AFL sides tell them to * off

It will mean nether club has to wear a different jumper. Port won't be wearing the PB jumper in an AFL Reserves comp with Collingwood in it and we won't need the jumper we wear.

Port will also lose a revenue stream, selling Mgpies memberships. It will also affect the membership number they post as I am sure they count Magpie memberships in that raw tally. Plus games won't be played at Alberton. There goes SANFL matchday revenues. Plus they will have additional expenses to run the AFL Reserves team. Remeber they don't pay the $400k to the SANFL like we do.

The NEAFL should continue as a development league for the NE states. The NE AFL clubs could still have their academy (underage) sides play in it.

Not sure about non AFL affiliated VFL sides. Is there enough to maintain that league and have it run like the SANFL and WAFL does.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So much of this is wrong I don't know where to start, so I wont bother.

The vast majority of Port fans will be happy to leave the SANFL parasites behind, if that means not wearing the PB's (as unlikely as that will be), then so be it.

If they try and get us to leave a 3rds team in that would be plain daft.

Games at Alberton will be the main sticking point.

The vast majority of Port fans will be happy to leave the SANFL parasites behind, if that means not wearing the PB's (as unlikely as that will be), then so be it.

Why would it be unlikely ?? It's not the SANFL so you play by the AFLs rules.

So what happens to OneClub then ?? The SANFL would loathe to lose them from the comp. As much as I like this idea I reckon it has serious consequences for the state leagues.
Personally I couldn’t give a stuff about not having a Port team in the SANFL, it’s more trouble than what it’s worth. When they were a stand alone team they almost went broke and all they did was bitch and moan and blame everyone but themselves.
Ideally a healthy stand-alone Port SANFL team that is held to the same salary cap, minimum profit demands and restrictions as the other 8 clubs would be good but the bitching will start again and they’ll want a leg up. If it came to a choice of them breaking the salary cap and benefiting from huge advantages that other clubs don’t get or them being out all together then I’ll take them f***ing off.

It’s important that the SANFL get a jump on this and start implementing some changes and structures to meet these challenges early.

If the state leagues hate having AFL-affiliated sides and treat them like s**t, they should be prepared to pay the consequences when the AFL sides tell them to **** off
How is Adelaide or Port treated like $hit? You’ve got every benefit possible and you think you’re hard done by.

A Port Magpies stand alone team didn’t work before and I can’t see it working in a new model where Port have to obey the same rules as the other clubs. The Port Magpie members will be cheated out of their club....again, when the One Club model promise that they’d never be turned into an AFL Reserves team was betrayed. Now they could face having no representation in the SANFL at all.
Spin that turd Kochie!

That was Adelaide’s choice, that was the model THEY proposed, nothing to do with the SANFL’s demands!
Sturt has tried to help Adelaide with that with a game at Thebby.
Next?
Believe were forced into that model in order to get all the clubs to agree with them having a team in the SANFL. 3/4 SANFL clubs were against them going into the comp and had to be bribe (for a better word) to vote yes, the Crows needed a full yes vote.
$400K and no players from the SANFL a limit on ex-players from the AFL with very strict rules, other top-ups only from Ammo's were the changes.

PS I believe Sturt was one of the Clubs that voted yes from the Start. Unfortunately, my SANFL club voted No and had to have there Arm twisted.
Port was not allowed a vote.

What aspects of what I wrote was wrong.

Collingwood are the Magpies in the AFL. I doubt we will have a different jumper for our Reserves team. Why would you guys? The Port Power Reserves wearing the Magpies jumper in the SANFL is a Legacey to your clubs history in that league. It makes no sense to wear it in AFL Reserves comp.

You guys sell a Magpies membership. And also have a Magpies membership included in some premium memberships. Surely this won't exist for a Port Power Reserves team in the AFL Reserves comp.

You guys don't pay the SANFL $400k to have the Magpies. In an AFL Reserves comp there will be additional travel/accommodation expenses.

You won't be playing Reserves games at Alberton. They will be curtain raisers to the main AFL game. Thus you lose that matchday evenue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Believe were forced into that model in order to get all the clubs to agree with them having a team in the SANFL. 3/4 SANFL clubs were against them going into the comp and had to be bribe (for a better word) to vote yes, the Crows needed a full yes vote.
$400K and no players from the SANFL a limit on ex-players from the AFL with very strict rules, other top-ups only from Ammo's were the changes.

PS I believe Sturt was one of the Clubs that voted yes from the Start. Unfortunately, my SANFL club voted No and had to have there Arm twisted.
Port was not allowed a vote.
I think it was more the point that it was problematic for Adelaide to find a home ground to play on. Adelaide dressed it up as being a benefit to the traditional clubs as having more home games and more revenue with Crows supporters attending which never really occurred. I’m pretty sure there were no demands from the SANFL or the clubs that this happened.
The idea that either reserves team was hard done by in the SANFL is laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was more the point that it was problematic for Adelaide to find a home ground to play on. Adelaide dressed it up as being a benefit to the traditional clubs as having more home games and more revenue with Crows supporters attending which never really occurred. I’m pretty sure there were no demands from the SANFL or the clubs that this happened.

Believe the original report had them playing home games at Football park daytime. not enough support for this to get all the SANFL clubs to agree. so it shifted to playing the Home games away. except the Port home game which they move to the country.

Are the top up rules out the window if we leave?

At the moment we scour country and amateur leagues for our top up players. Would it make more sense to grab any player that has narrowly missed out on being drafted in the last couple of seasons?

Would recent AFL delistees prefer to try their luck with Adel/Port reserves in an AFL competition rather than filter back to their SANFL club?

The Crows got a free kick once. Not sure what they are complaining about.

Seems like a parting of the ways has to happen. SANFL clubs only want them in if they pay their money and promise to miss the finals. Only fulfilling one out of these two requirements creates angst.

Not a troll but how would this news affect the development plans? If Labor win will they be hesitant to put money into a club that no longer has any state ties? Apart from the community aspect

I love the idea of an national AFL reserves competition. I wonder if it would be played as a curtain raiser before the main fixture, or played on a separate oval? I think it would be fantastic to be able to get to the footy an hour or two early and watch the reserves. Makes the football into more of a "day" out. My only concern is would the grounds cope with the extra game? Imagine Etihad after 4 or 6 games had been played on it in one weekend.

I think this could have a great benefit to the competition standard though. Depth players will be playing against other full time professional footballers, instead of part-time state league players. They would get the AFL player treatment, by travelling, and playing on big grounds like the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium etc. I hope this goes ahead.

Edit: Does this topic deserve its own thread separate from this one?

At the moment we scour country and amateur leagues for our top up players. Would it make more sense to grab any player that has narrowly missed out on being drafted in the last couple of seasons?

Would recent AFL delistees prefer to try their luck with Adel/Port reserves in an AFL competition rather than filter back to their SANFL club?

I'd think that in time, if not immediately, the reserves competition would be seen as the 2nd tier league with the VFL/SANFL/WAFL a tier below. From that perspective, you'd think players that just missed out on drafting would prefer to play in the reserves league as that is a higher-standard competition and you would be under the eyes of more AFL clubs, and thus would be more likely to be drafted.

I'd also think that reserves top-up players like this would filter down to the third-tier SANFL/VFL/WAFL if they weren't required. It'd be great if upcoming draftees were eligible to play as reserves top ups too, in some sort of random ballot allocation.

The SANFL/VFL/WAFL would then be mostly for the no-hopers that will never get drafted

I'd think that in time, if not immediately, the reserves competition would be seen as the 2nd tier league with the VFL/SANFL/WAFL a tier below. From that perspective, you'd think players that just missed out on drafting would prefer to play in the reserves league as that is a higher-standard competition and you would be under the eyes of more AFL clubs, and thus would be more likely to be drafted.

I'd also think that reserves top-up players like this would filter down to the third-tier SANFL/VFL/WAFL if they weren't required.

The SANFL/VFL/WAFL would then be for the no-hopers that will never get drafted
I agree

SANFL clubs might be cutting off their nose to spite their face with their whole no AFL in the SANFL thing

I love the idea of an national AFL reserves competition. I wonder if it would be played as a curtain raiser before the main fixture, or played on a separate oval? I think it would be fantastic to be able to get to the footy an hour or two early and watch the reserves. Makes the football into more of a "day" out. My only concern is would the grounds cope with the extra game? Imagine Etihad after 4 or 6 games had been played on it in one weekend.

I think this could have a great benefit to the competition standard though. Depth players will be playing against other full time professional footballers, instead of part-time state league players. They would get the AFL player treatment, by travelling, and playing on big grounds like the MCG, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium etc. I hope this goes ahead.

Edit: Does this topic deserve its own thread separate from this one?
Yes! Good idea. Please start one

You’d suspect they would be out the window and you’d think it would allow us to use retired/delisted players as top ups.

Quite frankly I think this has been coming for a while and I did wonder whether the change to prematch rules might have been a precursor.

Back when the original reserves comp was disbanded, Victorian football was broke AF and there was limited interest. Since the expansion to the AFL, the league is financially very stable and interest in such a comp would be reasonable and they would likely be able to sell the rights to 7/Foxtel as well as do a deal with a Virgin regarding transport/sponsorship to reduce travel costs.

I think it would benefit the team as young players would get used to travel early, as well as getting to practice match structures against other sides implementing AFL game plans, not against SANFL sides who play a different brand of football. May also help with retention as young Melbourne draftees would likely be home a few more times a year and even get to play in front of mates/family more often.

I think this is a good move, and a logical move by the AFL.

I’m not sure where it leaves the state leagues.

Well let's assume we have the same schedule as the AFL team for the reserves matches.

12x Adelaide (no travel)
5x Melbourne
1x Sydney
1x Alice Springs
1x Perth
1x Brisbane
1x Canberra

Approximate economy ticket prices (return) on Virgin:
Brisbane: $600
Melbourne: $320
Alice Springs: $560
Perth: $600
Sydney: $360
Canberra: $600

Let's assume we are taking a total staff of about 35 each time.

Brisbane travel: $21000
Melbourne: $56000
Perth: $21000
Canberra: $21000
Alice Springs: $19600
Sydney: $12600

Total: $151,200

Add in overnight accommodation for the matches at a cost of $200 per person: $7000 per match

Total: $70,000

Overall: $221,200

So even with additional overhead expenses eg. ground transport it would likely be cheaper to fly our players and staff to reserves matches than pay $400,000 to play in the SANFL

At what point do you just charter flights? if the reserve team is traveling with 35 (players and support staff) and the main team has roughly the same number of people you have a 3/4 full plane,assuming the reserves are playing the curtain raiser. you could also offer special package deals to gold members to travel to away games with the players.
Personally I find it amazing that an elite sporting code is having their players fly domestic. by using charter flights you can control everything, the food you eat, special seats if a player is injured i.e needing to raise a leg for the flight or having physio on the flight, privacy (team meetings .) and most importantly you can control when you leave and arrive. and yeah I know the longest flight to darwin is only three hours but i think if the reserve comp happens charter flights are the way to go.

I'd also think that reserves top-up players like this would filter down to the third-tier SANFL/VFL/WAFL if they weren't required. It'd be great if upcoming draftees were eligible to play as reserves top ups too, in some sort of random ballot allocation.

The SANFL/VFL/WAFL would then be mostly for the no-hopers that will never get drafted

No problem with that

There will always be lesser comps in any sport, the top level doesnt exist without lower levels or it all falls down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back