2nds Crows in SANFL season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point do you just charter flights? if the reserve team is traveling with 35 (players and support staff) and the main team has roughly the same number of people you have a 3/4 full plane,assuming the reserves are playing the curtain raiser. you could also offer special package deals to gold members to travel to away games with the players.
Personally I find it amazing that an elite sporting code is having their players fly domestic. by using charter flights you can control everything, the food you eat, special seats if a player is injured i.e needing to raise a leg for the flight or having physio on the flight, privacy (team meetings .) and most importantly you can control when you leave and arrive. and yeah I know the longest flight to darwin is only three hours but i think if the reserve comp happens charter flights are the way to go.

I agree about charter flights. We control the environment for the players. :thumbsu: What are we paying Virgin now seeing that they are a sponsor? Surely they don't charge us usual rates?

SANFL boss reckons the 2 clubs told him it's not going to happen.

Someone is lieing.

SANFL boss reckons the 2 clubs told him it's not going to happen.

Someone is lieing.
h7477fae7.jpeg

At what point do you just charter flights? if the reserve team is traveling with 35 (players and support staff) and the main team has roughly the same number of people you have a 3/4 full plane,assuming the reserves are playing the curtain raiser. you could also offer special package deals to gold members to travel to away games with the players.
Personally I find it amazing that an elite sporting code is having their players fly domestic. by using charter flights you can control everything, the food you eat, special seats if a player is injured i.e needing to raise a leg for the flight or having physio on the flight, privacy (team meetings .) and most importantly you can control when you leave and arrive. and yeah I know the longest flight to darwin is only three hours but i think if the reserve comp happens charter flights are the way to go.

Large planes apparently cost $12,000/hour to charter.
https://corporate-air.com.au/articles/how-much-does-air-charter-cost/

One return flight to Perth is $72,000 at those rates.

Taking into account discounts from bulk commitment/sponsorship ( to get it down to $8K/hour say)
1 game queensland = 5 hours = $40,000.
1 game Perth = 6 hours = $48,000
1 game Sydney = 4 hours = $32,000
7 games Melbourne = 14 hours = $112,000.

$232K. That's a best case scenario I would say (no Tassie, no additional longer trips, discount assumed). If we had to fully fund all our travel it might be effective but I assume we get travel free as part of sponsorship.

I agree

SANFL clubs might be cutting off their nose to spite their face with their whole no AFL in the SANFL thing
The AFL reserves Comp would decimate what's left of the SANFL

But the way the SANFL clubs behave toward the crows and port is a disgrace and I would not feel sorry for any of them

the SANFL would be in danger of turning into an U22 Comp where AFL hopefuls play from age of 17 . Perhaps the draft age would be raised to 19 as well which I think it should so that Yr 12s can concentrate on school rather than being almost a pro footballer in their draft year

That was Adelaide’s choice, that was the model THEY proposed, nothing to do with the SANFL’s demands!
Sturt has tried to help Adelaide with that with a game at Thebby.
Next?

I would expect that Adelaide would have needed to go to the SANFL with a proposal that had a hope of being accepted. I'd expect the away games was a trade off to pay a lesser amount, plus the clubs are set up to run game day, whereas we're not. I do recall some reporting around our games not bringing as many supporters through the gates as predicted.

When I heard Parko say that I rolled my eyes a bit.

Like they'd tell him this early

Yep, no reason for the AFL to include the SANFL at this stage. If the AFL decide to make a reserves league, there’s very little the SANFL can do to stop it and there’s no obligation for the AFL to involve them. The SANFL rejected the AFLs overtures into SA football, which is probably fair enough, but unfortunately it and the loss of the Crows/Port licenses mean they have little to no say in what the AFL do.

As a Victorian...
Who attends about 4 Crows SANFL games per year...
Fk the SANFL if AFL reserves is an option.
The absolute lack of respect and BS from traditional SANFL team supporters at those games is embarrassing and cringeworthy.
"We don't belong in your competition"... fine. Bye bye. Good luck.

As a Victorian...
Who attends about 4 Crows SANFL games per year...
Fk the SANFL if AFL reserves is an option.
The absolute lack of respect and BS from traditional SANFL team supporters at those games is embarrassing and cringeworthy.
"We don't belong in your competition"... fine. Bye bye. Good luck.

Your talking as though they wont afl reserves

It’s a win win

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were there SANFL practice matches this weekend? If not has there been any practice matches yet for the B’s?

Were there SANFL practice matches this weekend? If not has there been any practice matches yet for the B’s?

Friday March 23

Port Adelaide v Adelaide (Alberton Oval) 4.30pm
West Adelaide v Sturt (City Mazda Stadium) 7.10pm
Central v Norwood (My Money House Oval) 7.20pm

The Stupid thing is the Crows SANFL then Play Port again at Alberton in week 1 of the Macca League,
Saturday March 31 Port Adelaide v Adelaide Alberton Oval 2:40pm Televised on Channel 7.

No Otten or Mackay in the SANFL leadership group :(

Hopefully it has nothing to do with AFL team selection
I think it was realistic to hope that Otten would be in the leadership group. Mackay was always expected to play most of his games in the AFL, no matter how much BF wishes it were otherwise.

Keath and greenwood were co captains last year, and they both played numerous games in the AFL team. Just think they recognise players who are yet to crack into the seniors best 22.

Doedee will 100% play round 1

Keath and greenwood were co captains last year, and they both played numerous games in the AFL team. Just think they recognise players who are yet to crack into the seniors best 22.

Doedee will 100% play round 1

Doedee should play every game though, whereas Greenwood and Keath only played 15 and 6 games respectively

No Otten or Mackay in the SANFL leadership group :(

Hopefully it has nothing to do with AFL team selection

Actually according to that article the group was selected by the coaches.

Surely the coaches would only select players who are likely to spend a lot of time in the SANFL... shame for Doedee and CEY in that case :(
I looked at it a bit more positively. That it is about giving players a chance to show leadership qualities.

Rotating when not required for AFL. Of those I would have said CEY and Doedee are the most likely to play this week.

AFL listed players Tom Doedee, Alex Keath, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Reilly O’Brien and Paul Hunter have been included in the group alongside development squad member Damon Hill, who is in his third year in the squad.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-03-19/sanfl-leaders-named

Does this mean Doedee not in team v Essendon? Otten starting? Bit worrying.

Doedee is a very concerning addition to that group, hopefully it's just token and not a "he's not in our plans round 1 thing".

The rest seem fair enough.

Doedee should play every game though, whereas Greenwood and Keath only played 15 and 6 games respectively

Should, but decently unlikely he will as he's yet to have a season at AFL level.

It wouldn't be too surprising to see us rest him for a few weeks around the bye as a management thing/let Otten cover the really weak match ups if we are in a good position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back