2nds Crows in the SANFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't it Danger himself who said that? What makes Dangerfield a bull out on the oval is that he's ridiculously strong through the core, which is not terribly important during a bench press.

Yeh mate which is why i said (including Danger)... I still don't believe it personally I think Danger is just being a good/humble bloke. Yes benching has nothing to do with the core (which danger is huge in) however it is all about chest/biceps. There is no way IMH(umble)O that Crouch has anywhere near the strength, yet, in his arms/chest that Danger has. Have u seen Danger's chest let alone his arms? He is a, common way of saying it, BULL. I kno this doesnt mean all that much but did u see him on the footy show? His chest was literally popping out of the suit and I don't need to show you his biceps do I?

I pretty much went to the game today to see Crouch play. The things I noticed were:

1) He is a lot taller than i expected. For some reason i had the feeling he was a small nuggety midfielder like a Mitchell however he is actually surprisingly tall. This is obviously a massive bonus because if neccessary he will be able to push forward/back or whatever and use his height to take marks

Stood near him once at the Shed this season. Tall is not a word I would use to describe him. I actually thought he was the teenage son of somebody until I realised he was wearing the same style of suit and tie as the equally nearby Tom Lynch. Unless he shot up three inches since July, I don't see him using height to take marks in the forward line any time soon.

3) Did anyone else notice that today for some reason Crouch seemed to be about 15-20m hanging away from the pack on the Westies side the goal? I'm sure this was some sort of plan by the Westies (??) Coach however it didnt seem do come off once. Me and my m8 were commenting on it then the next play when it was a centre-boune straight away when Crouch was in the thick of it he got a clearance. I'm not sure whether that is why he had a less effective game than last week but it seemed to me that he was playing a different role which was not allowing him go get anywhere near the ball most of the time. Did anyone else see this?

Edit - 3) Perhaps they were hoping they would get the small clearance out of the pack and use Crouch to dispose of it well but it seemed to never get to him

This is what he did in the last Norwood game as well, which is totally in contrast to the game against North. I posed the idea of coaches instructions to stay outside to some nearby Westies die hards, but they totally refuted the notion, because the Norwood midfield would be the one they needed his inside attack on the ball the most. Collins can't be that much of a clown.

Stood near him once at the Shed this season. Tall is not a word I would use to describe him. I actually thought he was the teenage son of somebody until I realised he was wearing the same style of suit and tie as the equally nearby Tom Lynch. Unless he shot up three inches since July, I don't see him using height to take marks in the forward line any time soon.

This is what he did in the last Norwood game as well, which is totally in contrast to the game against North. I posed the idea of coaches instructions to stay outside to some nearby Westies die hards, but they totally refuted the notion, because the Norwood midfield would be the one they needed his inside attack on the ball the most. Collins can't be that much of a clown.

Yeh like I said for some strange reason I thought he was a small nuggety mdfielder like Mitchell. I guess what I was saying is that I thought he'd just be only useful in the middle (because I thought he was short). However now I see him being able to play forward/back and contest marks. Not because he is big just because he is not as short (like i said for some reason i thought he was). BTW one of the few boundary throw-ins I saw him he was about 1/2 a foot taller than the other players.

Questioning your second paragraph/statement.. Were you saying they needed his attack on the ball in the contest and suggesting he got in there like he did in the North game or were they saying he didn't need to?

Obviously he is if Crouch was doing it last time he played Norwood and he didn't rectify the issue for today. Sounds like some form of strategy to me, although with a kid who's rated so highly as an inside mid-fielder, I can't imagine what.

Obviously he is if Crouch was doing it last time he played Norwood and he didn't rectify the issue for today. Sounds like some form of strategy to me, although with a kid who's rated so highly as an inside mid-fielder, I can't imagine what.

WAS A LOAD OF CRAP.. No idea why they didnt put the Crotch" in the Mid

Questioning your second paragraph/statement.. Were you saying they needed his attack on the ball in the contest and suggesting he got in there like he did in the North game or were they saying he didn't need to?

They needed his attack on the ball and clearance skills. They did not get them. They did not get them in the first final either. I didn't watch the North game, but I'm assured by someone who went that his game against North was the total polar opposite of the two Norwood games.

They needed his attack on the ball and clearance skills. They did not get them. They did not get them in the first final either. I didn't watch the North game, but I'm assured by someone who went that his game against North was the total polar opposite of the two Norwood games.

I watched a lot of the North game, and he was always in amongst it, and was close to BOG while getting plenty of attention from North. Huge in the last quarter and did not take a backward step to anybody all day. This is why it would seem strange to me that he would be on the outside in both Norwood games if he wasn't being told to do so by his coach. I didn't see the first final against Norwood, but the scoreline for that one would suggest it was reasonably similar to todays game. West today looked a completely different team to last week.

I watched a lot of the North game, and he was always in amongst it, and was close to BOG while getting plenty of attention from North. Huge in the last quarter and did not take a backward step to anybody all day. This is why it would seem strange to me that he would be on the outside in both Norwood games if he wasn't being told to do so by his coach. I didn't see the first final against Norwood, but the scoreline for that one would suggest it was reasonably similar to todays game. West today looked a completely different team to last week.

I didn't see the 1st Norwood game but agree that it just seemed stranged. In the North game Crouch was in the pakcs vs Norwood this weeks (and by the sounds of it last time) he was on the outside of the packs. Doesn't make much sense when he seemed to almost control the North game at stages.

Was paying quite close attention to Crouch on the TV and came away with a few thoughts. Certainly didn't seem to be getting amongst the hard stuff as much as I would have liked, seemed to be holding back quite a bit. When did go in he generally won the footy. I do wonder whether this was some tactic from Collins, for the whole day he seemed to be outsmarting himself.

Crouch's disposal by foot was a hell of a lot better than I had realised. Kicked a few bullets into the forward line that you could see guys like Walker and Porps gobbling up.

Needs to work on his ability to spread and follow up though. If he doesn't get the footy as a part of a ball up situation, he doesn't seem to get it. A couple of times the ball was kicked 30-40m forward of a contest he was involved in and I wanted to see him push up and get involved. Instead he seemed a little content to just jog ahead to the next ball up.

Nothing a little experience, coaching and maturity won't fix, reckon he'll be an absolute beauty and comparisons to Hodge may have been closer to the mark than I first thought.

Was paying quite close attention to Crouch on the TV and came away with a few thoughts. Certainly didn't seem to be getting amongst the hard stuff as much as I would have liked, seemed to be holding back quite a bit. When did go in he generally won the footy. I do wonder whether this was some tactic from Collins, for the whole day he seemed to be outsmarting himself.

Crouch's disposal by foot was a hell of a lot better than I had realised. Kicked a few bullets into the forward line that you could see guys like Walker and Porps gobbling up.

Needs to work on his ability to spread and follow up though. If he doesn't get the footy as a part of a ball up situation, he doesn't seem to get it. A couple of times the ball was kicked 30-40m forward of a contest he was involved in and I wanted to see him push up and get involved. Instead he seemed a little content to just jog ahead to the next ball up.

Nothing a little experience, coaching and maturity won't fix, reckon he'll be an absolute beauty and comparisons to Hodge may have been closer to the mark than I first thought.

It was just a strange game all round from Crouch. Not sure if you watched his game against North, but he was always in the hard stuff and winning his own footy. As he was apparently doing similar against Norwood in the first final to what he was yesterday, it seems as though the coach may have had a specific role in mind for him. Why exactly you'd give a kid with the ball winning ability of Crouch a role that sees him predominantly sitting outside of the contest is baffling however.

Anyone have thoughts on Luke browns game?

I mentioned it earlier but I was impressed with Brownys composure and disposal yesterday. His confidence seemed to grow as the game wore on and he pinpointed some great passes (short and long). I didnt notice too many spoils from him but he did well as the link man across half back and provided some run when he had the opportunity. He wont provide the spoils that Doughty did but his disposal is better. He is listed as 175cm so him and laird are probably fighting for the same half back spot in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned it earlier but I was impressed with Brownys composure and disposal yesterday. His confidence seemed to grow as the game wore on and he pinpointed some great passes (short and long). I didnt notice too many spoils from him but he did well as the link man across half back and provided some run when he had the opportunity. He wont provide the spoils that Doughty did but his disposal is better. He is listed as 175cm so him and laird are probably fighting for the same half back spot in the future.

Thanks mate, sorry must have missed your earlier post

Thanks mate, sorry must have missed your earlier post

It was a very short mention on the end of a rant defending Crouchy. The rant might have put you off reading to the end.
Bass on the MMM today was very pleased wih his game and had no doubts he'd slot straight into Doughtys spot next year.

Brown could be that chipscab player some people are asking for. Not really sure of his 1 on 1 abilities but from the games I saw this season he racks up a lot of posessions in the back half with no opponent it seemed. Makes good decisions and cant say I saw too many kicks and handballs that didn't hit the target.

Did any norwood guys see his 1 on 1 defensive side this year? That is what Doughty was renowned for, not racking up loads of posessions and hitting targets all day.

To me, he is definitely suited to exactly the game he played in the GF. Loose man in defence setting up play.

Brown could be that chipscab player some people are asking for. Not really sure of his 1 on 1 abilities but from the games I saw this season he racks up a lot of posessions in the back half with no opponent it seemed. Makes good decisions and cant say I saw too many kicks and handballs that didn't hit the target.

Did any norwood guys see his 1 on 1 defensive side this year? That is what Doughty was renowned for, not racking up loads of posessions and hitting targets all day.

To me, he is definitely suited to exactly the game he played in the GF. Loose man in defence setting up play.

Yeah for sure. I think he showed the type of form in the GF that made us go after him in the first place. Has decent pace, good skills, makes good decisions, and isn't afraid to take the game on. Definitely something that our half back line can use.

It's been mentioned several times already so I won't harp on about it. But it's amazing how different Crouch was used in the 2 finals against Norwood compared to how he was used against Centrals and North. Haven't watched enough of Westies to see which game style is closer to Crouch's "preferred" game, but I can certainly tell you which one he performed better with.

It's been mentioned several times already so I won't harp on about it. But it's amazing how different Crouch was used in the 2 finals against Norwood compared to how he was used against Centrals and North. Haven't watched enough of Westies to see which game style is closer to Crouch's "preferred" game, but I can certainly tell you which one he performed better with.

I haven't seen a whole lot of him over the season either, but his clearance stats would suggest it was more like the North game.

His game yesterday reminded me of how Craig used McLeod in that 2006-2009 period. Playing semi-loose and staying fairly deep but prepared to run and carry and use his precise kicking to set up attacks from defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back