2nds Crows in the SANFL Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember that, was it the majority or the minority having a go at him?
It was before I was on the Board but apparently in his first season he was regarded as one of the worst players ever to pull on a Crows guernsey (by all)

Re Lynch in the Glenelg match - any comments from someone there. Did he play well?
We need to be prepared to give people a fair go. We have a history (albeit distant!) of not being prepared to give people a go in a particular position and then they go on to other clubs and be more than serviceable. I cite McCartney at North Melbourne and Ingerson at Melbourne, both of whom were moved on at a time when we lacked credible key backmen (prior to Peter Caven)
Re Bock - he certainly was a liability early on. We had an expression in our family - Bock, Bock, Bock - ala a chook, because of some of the ludicrous things he could do on a football field in his early years.

Re Lynch in the Glenelg match - any comments from someone there. Did he play well?
We need to be prepared to give people a fair go. We have a history (albeit distant!) of not being prepared to give people a go in a particular position and then they go on to other clubs and be more than serviceable. I cite McCartney at North Melbourne and Ingerson at Melbourne, both of whom were moved on at a time when we lacked credible key backmen (prior to Peter Caven)
Re Bock - he certainly was a liability early on. We had an expression in our family - Bock, Bock, Bock - ala a chook, because of some of the ludicrous things he could do on a football field in his early years.

The difference between Bock and the Thompson comparison is that Bock sucked in year 1 or 2.
Thompson is surely in year 4 or so now and still sucks.

16 posts in 9 years?

Quality over quantity. I've gone the other way.

Yes Lynch had a good game out of midfield/ the half forward flank got into good space and jagged a good run-in goal. Lyons had a good game as well. Sam Shaw was quiet however and Smack isn't going to get a recall based on Friday's performance.

Hang on, some terrible things were said about Bock and his ability, and how soft he was. So lets not re-write history.
Yes and i was saying them :D ......soft as butter, no intensity .....not not once was it said he went to ground easily !!!!

Hang on, some terrible things were said about Bock and his ability, and how soft he was. So lets not re-write history.

THIS!

In fact, we said worse about Bock. We are too quick to consign players to "Won't Ever Make It" basket. Sometimes we need to take a step back and realise that maybe, just maybe, the selectors, coaches and recruiters actually know a bit more than we do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't often have many quality kids....

But when we do, we play them in the SANFL.

Ever thought that some of those "quality kids" playing in the SANFL might not be quite as good as you think they are? They're certainly not better than the "vanilla" players, if "vanilla" includes the likes of Douglas - though if "vanilla" includes Martin & Jaensch, then I'm all for a change.

Ever thought that some of those "quality kids" playing in the SANFL might not be quite as good as you think they are? They're certainly not better than the "vanilla" players, if "vanilla" includes the likes of Douglas - though if "vanilla" includes Martin & Jaensch, then I'm all for a change.

Like Crouch right? (yes i know its only 1 game, but there was really no reason not to play him round 1)

Or Lyons who has chopped up the SANFL on quite a few occasions, but has yet to get an extended run to show his wares

6th and 7th forwards, 6th and 7th defenders (including the interchange)... this is where your young midfielders are ushered into the team.

That's where McLeod, Goodwin, Ricciuto, Edwards, Johnson... all got their starts. Taste of midfield before progressing to full time midfielders.

Instead we plug up those 6th and 7th spots with undroppable role players.

So unless Jarryd Lyons or Brad Crouch are going to knock a Wright or Douglas completely out of the team then we can't fit them in. Injuries have been our saving grace in the past and allowed us to usher in some youngsters in 2010 and 2011. Since Neil left the injuries have dried up (coincidence) and so have the opportunities. It's like 2005-08 all over again.

But... it is only one round. I'll take it all back if Crouch and Lyons come in this week.
Yep.. undroppable role players like Jaensch & Brodie Smith, while others like Johncock are moved to the forward line in an attempt to create more development opportunities for the youngsters. :rolleyes:

Like Crouch right? (yes i know its only 1 game, but there was really no reason not to play him round 1)

Or Lyons who has chopped up the SANFL on quite a few occasions, but has yet to get an extended run to show his wares
You're preaching to the choir when it comes to Crouch. The selection of Jaensch & Martin last week, while not selecting Crouch, almost warrants a criminal investigation.

As for Lyons.. I see him as being likely to turn out as another vanilla player, like Jaensch, Martin & Riley - all of whom are currently ahead of him in the pecking order. He doesn't have the outrageous talent and potential of Crouch, thus there is no justification for fast tracking his development. I have no problem at all with him being asked to force his way into the team, just like all of his direct peers.

You're preaching to the choir when it comes to Crouch. The selection of Jaensch & Martin last week, while not selecting Crouch, almost warrants a criminal investigation.

As for Lyons.. I see him as being likely to turn out as another vanilla player, like Jaensch, Martin & Riley - all of whom are currently ahead of him in the pecking order. He doesn't have the outrageous talent and potential of Crouch, thus there is no justification for fast tracking his development. I have no problem at all with him being asked to force his way into the team, just like all of his direct peers.

fast track his development? He's been on our list 3 years now? Is it his 4th year?

He played some blinders last year, including games where he had 25-30 possies and 10 odd clearances.

He's a 2nd round pick, he's far from vanilla IMO. I think his form has been outstanding at times, and due to lack of injuries, he's failed to get a chance. But IMO we need to give him 10+ games this year and see what he can do at this level

Otherwise we'll find him on another list next year due to a lack of opportunities

i agree .....Lyons in same bracket as the players named ......but IMO Martin has taken some serious steps forward this season with a much harder edge rather than simply relying on his running game

I was at Noarlunga. Lyons and Lynch were a cut above. Shaw, Hartigan and McKernan were very disappointing however.

Yes and i was saying them :D ......soft as butter, no intensity .....not not once was it said he went to ground easily !!!!
lets face it, he was uber s**t.

Sure he came good, but he is more than likely a stand out in terms of development at a late age and I wouldn't suggest is the norm.

lets face it, he was uber s**t.

Sure he came good, but he is more than likely a stand out in terms of development at a late age and I wouldn't suggest is the norm.
Yep ....think you can throw McKernan in that late development bucket as well
Bock was still sh.t at 23 years old .......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back