2nds Crows in the SANFL Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You sign a free agent.

Richard Douglas is better than any free agent I feel willing to come to Adelaide.

Their maybe better free agents in this class but I don't think we will be able to get them to come to Adelaide.

Saying that, if Adam Cooneys knee stands up, we should go after him and that would be an improvement but his knee is still unknown to how much damage is done.

you are on drugs. these players are past 26 and they are not supersars of the game. At best you get a secound round pick which as we have seen is normally a very long shot prospect. Only guarantees are top ten these days.
Yep, better to stick with the line up that we know doesn't cut it when it counts

We under-reacted to our finals failures of 2005-09 and paid the price. It meant that Edwards, McLeod, Godwin, Burton... all played out their careers surrounded by fodder and without us ever having a genuine crack at it.

There's always a reason; Roo suspended, Huddo's knee, Trent's knee, Parvovirus, Cousins on drugs, miracle Buddy goal, umpiring... always a reason we find not to react and make hard decisions.

will depend on form but on ability he is getting closer and closer of not being one of the first picked.

Agree with this. Where does he currently sit in our starting 22 based on pure football contribution? Probably from 12-17.

Johnston was good tonight but his goal kicking let him down. Took a couple of big grabs and nailed a set shot from 50m on the boundary, but also missed a couple of much simpler ones. Even his misses are nice kicks though.

11 touches, 6 marks, 3.4

YOU REDS!!!!! :D :D :D

Good to hear.

We need another tall who can add a bit more height and stretch the oppositions defence.

I thought Sauce was able to do this at times tonight.

Is he too small for afl football?

not at all. he's 6 cm taller than luke brown according to the afc website, and personally i believe laird is just as good. his kicking is elegant , nothing other than that. he probably needs to put on another 5 kg but there's plenty of time.

Douglas was pick #17. We then took Pfeiffer with #17 (back to back picks after trading Fungus Watts to St Kilda).

For what it's worth, that was a particularly poor draft - Douglas has done significantly better than any of the 10 players taken immediately after him in the draft (the best of them being Freo's Garrick Ibbotson).

Douglas has been very good this year. Making every touch count looks classy.

He is well in front of Ibbotson - he cant get close to a game for Freo.

I know this is a big call but I just don't see VB in our best 22 next year
That's a very big call, considering he's currently our 5th best midfielder - behind Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane & Wright, but ahead of all the rest. There's a lot of sacrificial lambs going to the slaughter before VB gets dropped - Callinan, Vince, Porps, Reilly, Jaensch, Douglas just from today's team.

The players most at risk right now would appear to be Jaensch (gone when Smith returns), then Porps & Vince. I don't mind the idea of them being overtaken by one of the kids (be it Grigg, Lyons, Kerridge or someone else) - I'm just struggling to see it happening. Crouch replacing an established player (Johncock) was foreseeable - the kid has the most potential of any AFC recruit since McLeod, almost 20 years ago. The idea of one of the other kids doing likewise.. is more problematic.

Douglas has been very good this year. Making every touch count looks classy.

He is well in front of Ibbotson - he cant get close to a game for Freo.
That's my point. Douglas was taken at #16. Ibbotson is the best player drafted in the 17-26 range. The fact that Douglas is so much superior to his next closest peers (from his draft class) is a pretty good indicator that we did well in selecting him when we had the opportunity to do so back in 2006.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players most at risk right now would appear to be Jaensch (gone when Smith returns)

I'll be happy when that happens, I truly will, Brown and Smith add some poise to our backline.

then Porps & Vince. I don't mind the idea of them being overtaken by one of the kids (be it Grigg, Lyons, Kerridge or someone else) - I'm just struggling to see it happening. Crouch replacing an established player (Johncock) was foreseeable - the kid has the most potential of any AFC recruit since McLeod, almost 20 years ago. The idea of one of the other kids doing likewise.. is more problematic.

As much as I am a fan of Bernie, he has to be on thin ice, if he goes I'd like to see Lyons get first shot at the role

I'll be happy when that happens, I truly will, Brown and Smith add some poise to our backline.
Agreed. Smith looked good back there last year and was really fitting in well by the end of the season. Brown didn't impress me much last year, but has really come on in leaps & bounds this year. I'll be giving him 2 votes in the ROTY competition this week - ahead of Crouch.
As much as I am a fan of Bernie, he has to be on thin ice, if he goes I'd like to see Lyons get first shot at the role
I'm not averse to that idea at all. I'd much prefer to see Lyons being given another chance than have the selectors waste another development game on Brodie Martin.

Lyons 25 disposals
Grigg 26 disposals
No sign on Lynch? Travelling emergency?

Grigg is having a blinder start to the year

not at all. he's 6 cm taller than luke brown according to the afc website, and personally i believe laird is just as good. his kicking is elegant , nothing other than that. he probably needs to put on another 5 kg but there's plenty of time.
The AFC website incorrectly lists Luke Brown's height as 172cm. On Norwood's website he's listed as 179cm and some more recent media articles have him as 181cm.

Anyone else find that the SANFL Livestats page still has the Round 1 stats?

Might need to clear cookies or something.

Richard Douglas is better than any free agent I feel willing to come to Adelaide.

Their maybe better free agents in this class but I don't think we will be able to get them to come to Adelaide.

Saying that, if Adam Cooneys knee stands up, we should go after him and that would be an improvement but his knee is still unknown to how much damage is done.
Douglas has been immense lately for sure.

If Cooney can play that well two weeks out of hospital...he must be worth the risk. You can see he's still missing a yard of pace but I imagine he'll regain that with his fitness.

Fits the prototype for the player we lack.

you are on drugs. these players are past 26 and they are not supersars of the game. At best you get a secound round pick which as we have seen is normally a very long shot prospect. Only guarantees are top ten these days.

This bit is completely wrong.

Douglas has been immense lately for sure.

If Cooney can play that well two weeks out of hospital...he must be worth the risk. You can see he's still missing a yard of pace but I imagine he'll regain that with his fitness.

Fits the prototype for the player we lack.

Even if we wanted Cooney, I don't think he'd come to the Crows. I know he's an SA lad, but with his history, the club would be stupid to offer him more than a 1 year deal. Would you move your family (remembering one of his kids has a disability) interstate for a 1 year contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back