Crows need a complete rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
We seem to be 1 of the only clubs in the league not to do a complete rebuild in The last 20 years.

The list we have currently is not deep enough to win a premiership in the next 4 years imo and imo we will lose our best players/leaders in that time period. If we don't do a rebuild now I fear for what our team will look like in 2023.

The players we will lose between now and the start of 2023 will be imo:

Eddie betts
Taylor walker
Rory Sloane
Josh Jenkins
Tom lynch
Bryce gibbs
Talia
Mackay
Hartigan
Jacobs
Otten
Douglas

With quite a few more on the edge. If we can't win a premiershio in the next 4 years we are wasting time by not doing a rebuild now.

Thoughts?

Crazy talk as we do have a list profile to attack for a flag. Was just over a year ago when a similar squad played off in a grand final after winning the minor premiership.

Would be a complete waste to contemplate a rebuild. If that was our thinking, we would have traded out players to gain more of an arsenal of picks in this year's draft.

Crazy talk as we do have a list profile to attack for a flag. Was just over a year ago when a similar squad played off in a grand final after winning the minor premiership.

Would be a complete waste to contemplate a rebuild. If that was our thinking, we would have traded out players to gain more of an arsenal of picks in this year's draft.

I hope you guys are right and we do get that flag in the next 4 years. I just don’t see us having the list deep enough to do it in that timeframe with those players I listed and lack of depth below that.

15 months ago, we were the best team in the competition. Then we had 1 horrible day and lost the Grand Final to Richmond.

Then we had a shambles of a pre season camp and a hamstring epidemic that saw us lose a plethora of players. Our fall down the ladder was explainable. Was not acceptable but easily explained and with good management, we can become that fearsome attacking team again and take that next step forward by learning to handle the Grand Final pressures applied to us.

Right now, we have no reason what so ever to even contemplate a rebuild. However, with 4 picks inside the top 21 picks we are in the process of starting this rebuild anyway.

We are not going to go and sack 6 first team players to please a few bedwetters because everyone else has had a rebuild.

Top 2 finish for me and then win our 2 home finals before accepting the premiership challenge again.

No rebuild needed.

Um.

We are going to have a list full of stars over the next period..

And young stars come “2023”.

Laird, Crouch, Crouch, Galluci, Doedee, Fogarty, Milera, Brown, Greenwood, Keath, Atkins, Himmelburg, McPherson, Knight, Obrien,Murphy, McAdam, Stengle

Plus.
2018: Pick 8, Pick 13, Pick 16, Pick 21
2019: 1st rounder, Sladojevic
2020: Edwards, Borlase
2021: 1st rounder, Dudley, Edwards
2022: 1st rounder

7 first rounders to come, Sladojevic/Borlase potentially 1st round talent on the cheap, 5 first rounders still on the list and the ability to acquire free agents as well..

If our list is in dire straights come 2023 it’s because we have failed to develop our 2015-2019 talent into A grade players and failed to entice any free agents with cash leftover from Betts, Tex, Jenkins, Talia, Jacobs, Lynch, Gibbs, Smith, Sloane retiring, not through access to the talent.

Say we draft Hately, Butters, Jones, Valente in 2018, Gould in 2019 our team could look like this:

Brown ~ Borlase/Keath ~ Doedee
Laird ~ Gould ~ McPherson
Milera ~ Crouch ~ Galluci
FA Ruck ~ Crouch ~ Hately
Butters ~ Himmelburg ~ Valente/Knight
Stengle ~ Fogarty ~ Sladojevic
Jones ~ Edwards ~ Atkins
Greenwood

Depth: Murphy, 2021 1st, 2022 1st, Obrien, McAdam, Dudley, Edwards

Thread debunked.

I don't really get this logic. This list got us to a GF in 2017. Our best players are still in their prime years. The list profile in terms of age and games played is exactly where you want it to be in a contention window. Doesn't it make more sense to give these guys a shot at winning the flag in the next 2-3 years and if it doesn't work, you are going to rebuild anyway. So currently we are where we need to be in terms of list profile and people want to blow it up after one season where a LOT went wrong. These guys did not lose their ability to play great football over night. For various reasons, they didn't have their best season. Some of it is luck (e.g. Sloane's injury) and some of it is poor player management (all the hamstrings and "awareness" injuries).

This group has proven that they can play some outstanding football. They still can. They are not past it. We need to get other things right. Get our pre-season program right, get most of these guys to have great pre-seasons. Ensure that injury prevention and injury management is done the correct way, none of the ******* rubbish that we saw last year where we had players miss great amount of games those knuckleheads running the program decided to hold off surgeries in hope more than anything that it will get better. Brad Crouch should have had a groin surgery after the 2017 GF, not mid season in 2018. He is not the only one that dumb and dumber mismanaged along the way.

All lists would be the same... by 2023 all club would have lost their core group of experienced guns. its the normal cycle clubs go through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mick500 needs a rebuild! how can you come up with this stuff?

primo analysis in the op too by the way. I'll do one the same quality: if laird hurts his big toe, voodoo will ensure that we finish bottom next season.

lets check, very narrow, no data, all opinion, selectivity, whimsical causality and a negative outcome arbitrarily chosen to boot! yay for me.

We seem to be 1 of the only clubs in the league not to do a complete rebuild in The last 20 years.

The list we have currently is not deep enough to win a premiership in the next 4 years imo and imo we will lose our best players/leaders in that time period. If we don't do a rebuild now I fear for what our team will look like in 2023.

The players we will lose between now and the start of 2023 will be imo:

Eddie betts
Taylor walker
Rory Sloane
Josh Jenkins
Tom lynch
Bryce gibbs
Talia
Mackay
Hartigan
Jacobs
Otten
Douglas

With quite a few more on the edge. If we can't win a premiershio in the next 4 years we are wasting time by not doing a rebuild now.

Thoughts?
Pass

Himmelberg isn't going to be a star. He'll be lucky to not end up on the delist pile.
He may not be a star of the competition one day but I'm confident he'll have a very good career and looks the obvious replacement for JJ down the track.

Carlton have been re-building for 15 years; fat lot of good it's done them. Our list is still high quality with enough younger guys coming through. As long as we learn we learn from our mistakes from this year we should still be in our window for the next 2-3 years.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are you're nuts.

You look at our list and the players down on form and/or injured for significant periods last year are just about every single one of our A graders. Couple that with a number of young blokes hitting their straps (Milera, Dood, Greenwood, etc) and a pile of blokes in the window for breakout years this year... and we are right in our premiership window right now.

Our window was 2017, 2018 (FFS), and now. We need to gun at a premiership right now. Go right at it.

nah8616087_lrg.jpg

The vfl have checked our season already

They are sending us all over the country rather than Melbourne because they know the impact travelling has in slowing teams down. They gave us so few games in Melbourne because they know we're likely to Finnish up the ladder and don't want us familiar with travelling to Melbourne

They know that when the gang was half back together last year we beat both of the last two premiers. We still managed the highest score of the year with half a side and in an away game

If we were to of traded for more draft picks the vfl would of sanctioned us for the naked tree hugging, such is how strong our pics are now.

I look forward to the retorts of the tin foil hatter's to this post. The vfls history of negating our club is well documented

Remove this Banner Ad

Back