Scandal Crows players caught without masks

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If they're going to be stringent in enforcing the rules, then enforce it equally and properly against all. All those footy players walking in airports with their mask either down or not properly covering their face should be fined. They are handling this like the umpiring - illogically and arbitrarily.
It is believable that other teams have made mistakes and not gotten caught, but if you’re looking at those pictures crows fans are posting claiming other teams aren’t getting fined look again. They are outdoors at airports. Hardly the same thing.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
So, why on the day, did the air crew as per policy, report to AFP, and AFP greet the plane,and investigate,and charge?

As this did not occur, then, air crew did not deem it a breach?

The breach was probably against AFL covid control policy. And just because an airline or anyone chooses not to do anything about it, doesn't mean the AFL's job has been done for them.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
It is believable that other teams have made mistakes and not gotten caught, but if you’re looking at those pictures crows fans are posting claiming other teams aren’t getting fined look again. They are outdoors at airports. Hardly the same thing.
None of those photos are outdoors. All are within the airport building after stepping off the flight, and come from AFL Photos.

Big Crow

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows fans are going to lose their minds when they find out 4 Vic clubs had scratch matches against each other on the weekend

Looking forward to AFL House deciding this is all ok, and then launching an investigation with the aim of proving it.

A bit overblown, even if they were doing the wrong thing. I'm pro-mask, but I can still admit I slide it down for a sneaky breather every once in a while.

You'd have to be pretty dumb to do it as a celebrity though, knowing you're going to be photographed even during life's mundane moments.

Chocoholic

Senior List
Nov 24, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I hate to break it to everyone but the AFL wouldn't bother with a fine of 50k unless they didn't have them on for a lot fo the flight.

In saying that I hope the AFL told every club that mask are to be on and any photos or vid at airports etc will also have a fine, needs to be consistent.

Kenny Dee

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I hate to break it to everyone but the AFL wouldn't bother with a fine of 50k unless they didn't have them on for a lot fo the flight.

In saying that I hope the AFL told every club that mask are to be on and any photos or vid at airports etc will also have a fine, needs to be consistent.
Consistent is one thing the AFL is not

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
They know they've done the wrong thing and would like the story to go away as quickly as possible. The court of public opinion won't be kind: a bunch of spoilt brats taking advantage of special privileges and thinking the rules don't apply to them. Even if they won an appeal, they'd have lost through the poor publicity.

When the speculation and excuses started, "Oh they were probably just tucking in to their main course on that marathon journey from Sydney to Adelaide," why not eat before and eat after the flight and abstain for a couple of hours to set the example that you are grateful that you're still able to fly around the country and that you're thinking of others around Australia who don't get the same luxuries? Because there's nothing like a mask hanging off your chin on the flight home from playing a footy game to really show how much your heart is going out to your legions of fans who have been taken to the brink by this pandemic.

So no, I don't think they'll be taking it further. "What about..." this other example of an AFL team or random Joe Blow doing the wrong thing? Fine them too.... I don't care.

Tex was typical AFC in our paper yesterday. The old, "we did the wrong thing, we accept that, copped fine, disappoinying". Ok, got it Chief, just stop there. "But you know, it's hard, it's not something we're used to, I took mine off to have something to drink, just forgot to put it back on and you know what, rather than taking a photo and reporting us, how about we all work together and have a quiet word to remind us".

My footy club is so ******* thin skinned it's not funny. If that was a rookie, I'd be lenient, but it's a leader and speaks absolute volumes as to how we found ourselves where we are.

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
They know they've done the wrong thing and would like the story to go away as quickly as possible. The court of public opinion won't be kind: a bunch of spoilt brats taking advantage of special privileges and thinking the rules don't apply to them. Even if they won an appeal, they'd have lost through the poor publicity.

When the speculation and excuses started, "Oh they were probably just tucking in to their main course on that marathon journey from Sydney to Adelaide," why not eat before and eat after the flight and abstain for a couple of hours to set the example that you are grateful that you're still able to fly around the country and that you're thinking of others around Australia who don't get the same luxuries? Because there's nothing like a mask hanging off your chin on the flight home from playing a footy game to really show how much your heart is going out to your legions of fans who have been taken to the brink by this pandemic.

So no, I don't think they'll be taking it further. "What about..." this other example of an AFL team or random Joe Blow doing the wrong thing? Fine them too.... I don't care.

So the biggest thing from a crows fan perspective is the inconsistency of the AFL...... on and off the ground !

Numerous Geelong players walking around in the rooms last night after the port game without a mask despite clear COVID instructions to wear one. (Comment - Must have been hard for players cooling down who just want to suck in big breaths of air to wear a mask ! Great win last night by the way...)

Will there be a fine ? Unlikely. And I don’t want to get into a debate if it’s a confined space or not - it’s the rules, pure and simple.

So the biggest thing from a crows fan perspective is the inconsistency of the AFL...... on and off the ground !

Numerous Geelong players walking around in the rooms last night after the port game without a mask despite clear COVID instructions to wear one. (Comment - Must have been hard for players cooling down who just want to suck in big breaths of air to wear a mask ! Great win last night by the way...)

Will there be a fine ? Unlikely. And I don’t want to get into a debate if it’s a confined space or not - it’s the rules, pure and simple.
Adelaide players on a plane with civilians and airline crew, (who asked them to mask up).
Geelong players in an enclosed environment with their own players, staff and immediate contacts.
🤔

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide players on a plane with civilians and airline crew, (who asked them to mask up).
Geelong players in an enclosed environment with their own players, staff and immediate contacts.
🤔

I get it - there is a difference in terms of how we measure risk. I would also say that players seated is safer than non-masked walking around.

But the one thing that triggered the fine - non compliance with the rules - are the same. This is the point I was trying to maks..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
🤔

I think the issue would be if that rule was imposed by SA Health. If so, given totally closed border, it could put at risk Vic teams being able to travel to Adelaide in the event of future closed borders. I too see a difference between players in their bubble and intermingling with the ordinary population. But the other side is the rules imposed by governments to allow these teams to travel across borders. And despite how stupid these masks rules are, the AFL should be displeased if that footage puts future exemptions at risk.

If our moronic leader mask rules was serious, she'd at least request a please explain from the AFL. But she'd probably look at that footage and say she doesn't see a problem, they're only interacting with each other, it's not an issue. And nobody from the press would ask her why if that's the case, she implemented the rule in the first place.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I get it - there is a difference in terms of how we measure risk. I would also say that players seated is safer than non-masked walking around.

But the one thing that triggered the fine - non compliance with the rules - are the same. This is the point I was trying to maks..

We know it's a perception issue with the AFL though. Wandering around in a plane is basically bringing the game into disrepute in their eyes. They'd have been furious. People expect to see Geelong players in their change rooms without masks, nobody cares and the onky audience is footy fans, not some fuktard Karen from Kensington Gardens.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

This aged well

slingy55

Senior List
Mar 25, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
So.... $50k fines for West Coast and Freo??
The difference here was that it was only players, club personnel and flight crew. No members of the public. Probably a small fine, seeing as they are technically breaking rules.
Though we saw the fines escalate throughout the lockdown period last season because they obviously weren't enough a deterrent, so I guess that's one way to justify it if it's $50k again (or more).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back