Strategy Crows Premiership Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Just of interest. We have we had 3 coaches in a row, excluding Phil, who seem to prefer to pesist with average senior players rather than investing in youth? Is it saving their own neck thing or a direction from the club?

Just of interest. We have we had 3 coaches in a row, excluding Phil, who seem to prefer to pesist with average senior players rather than investing in youth? Is it saving their own neck thing or a direction from the club?

It's an ingrained culture that a new coach either attempts to break overnight or gradually work towards. Walsh made it clear that enough was enough after the BNE win. He'd provided respect to the incumbents, but had demonstrated it wasn't working. We won't change while Noble heads up our footy dept.

One of the same mate.

Club direction and then they select the senior players to save their own neck.

I've always been of the belief the board has told the current coach - do not bottom out at any costs. We have had too many years where things have gone pear shaped and we still refuse to "rebuild" via the draft.

Year after year, coach after coach - it's the same, it's the coach who gets fired and we don't look at the players.

Sando got the job based on the fact he told the board we don't need to rebuild. He told them what they wanted to hear. Walsh had a direction but he still played VB, Wright, MacKay and co to the detriment to development. I can only hope, he would have played the younger kids much more had things didn't go as they did.

I hope the new coach tells them, we need to get ride of a number of the underachieving players and give new players ago.

I posted the following in the changes thread versus Gold Coast, and I think it relates to this topic as well.

I just can't understand this club's infatuation with role players. Ever since Craig's reign we've developed a culture of over relying on them on the field and over valuing them contract wise. If we're genuinely planning for 2017 it's too soon to be plugging role players into positions in the starting 22, we should be trying out the better performing young players from the SANFL and seeing which sink or swim at AFL level.

As Mattrox stated earlier our list's age and experience profile isn't yet at the same point as the contenders, personally I believe the ideal time to contend is when the bulk of your best players are aged between 25 and 30. Where I think our current problem lies is that our club is short sighted, it's always focused on the next game and making finals, even if it's just to make up the numbers. This is why we're constantly playing average footballers in minor roles, or "non-statistical" roles as Noble put it, because as long as those average footballers are in their prime it can be reasonably expected that they'll outperform the younger less experienced alternatives. It's why we play guys like VB, Wright, Mackay and Henderson for so long, even when their form doesn't warrant it. It's why we over rely on Thommo to the point where he breaks down before the season's finished. The result? We end up weakening our draft position, subsequently limiting the talent available to us, and we slow the development of younger players.

With regards to building towards the future, let's face it, Thommo is a gun, but we need to keep our eye on the prize. GWS is looking for top talent MA players to compliment their young list. As much as it pains me to say it, Thommo would have currency (look at the age groups they have recruited recently), do we trade a champion like Thommo out for a couple of young up and coming GWS players (e.g. Wilson and Hampton ), for a win/win for both clubs?

#ForeverAFC

This line of thinking is the reason GWS are going somewhere and where not.

Dropping Wright and Mackay for Crouch and CEY is not going to address what we saw on the weekend one iota..... We would just move on the the next whipping boys.

Reckon you couldn't be further from the truth, include Grigg, banish Thommo along with the other 2 spuds, and we become a serious top 4 side overnight.

This line of thinking is the reason GWS are going somewhere and where not.

But they have the youth, we do not. Smart by them, yes, that's why we need to do the reverse for us. Our window is not open yet, so we need to get games into players, or recruit 24yo that will peak when our window is open. As I said, it's just a thought, whether you agree or not is still fine by me.

#ForeverAFC

I don't need to know what the plan is, but I do need to know there is one. we'll see after trade period if anything has changed. Are we waiting for our turn which we "know" is just around the corner or are we changing paths?

Trigg believed we were in the business of business

Wonder what Fagan believes? We'll see soon enough

Do what you have always done get what you have always got

For the life of me I have no idea what our needs were back in 06, but Im sure we needed a goal kicker.

With that said, wasnt Welsh and Porps still in the team?
McGregor
Potenschel
Sellar
All thought to be good prospects

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list isn't much different to 2012. We finished 2nd in minor premiership right? I think the list is better now.
So it's gameplan and execution that's not working. And picking not our best side

I don't need to know what the plan is, but I do need to know there is one. we'll see after trade period if anything has changed. Are we waiting for our turn which we "know" is just around the corner or are we changing paths?

Trigg believed we were in the business of business

Wonder what Fagan believes? We'll see soon enough

Do what you have always done get what you have always got

That depends on the new coach. If its Campo or Malthouse I would be seriously worried on the direction of the club.

I'm not sure if it stems from Trigg's 'finish 8th and anything can happen' mantra

Was that Trigg's mantra or was that what Spackler said Trigg's mantra was?

I love it when a Spackler-ism goes global.

You are of course correct.

There's one man who can turn this around and I'd question our sanity if we don't at least give him a second look. I'll give you a clue...

Was that Trigg's mantra or was that what Spackler said Trigg's mantra was?

I love it when a Spackler-ism goes global.

You are of course correct.

There's one man who can turn this around and I'd question our sanity if we don't at least give him a second look. I'll give you a clue...

I thought elvis was dead?

I don't have any real ideas of what we can do to fix the club. However I do know how I feel about our performances.

It seems that no matter who our coach is we haven't really changed anything for a few years. (2012 was an exception and I have no idea why) Each week I sit down and think .. can we win. When I do my tips I just have no confidence that the Crows will win. Right now every week is the same. We cant beat the top 4 sides but on occasions we get close and we are happy with a respectful defeat. We struggle to beat sides that fall into the range 12 to 5 and even when it comes to the bottom 6 sides I have no real confidence that we will win. It just depends on which Crows team turns up.

I look at the bottom six teams today. Which team do I feel confident about beating. I feel confident we can beat Brisbane, Carlton and maybe Melb. But I am not that confident against St Kilda, Essendon and Gold Coast. To me I should feel bloody confident that we would beat all of these teams ...but I don't.

The truth is I have been feeling like this for some years now. This feeling just hasn't changed for years but a new draft and trade period is just around the corner and again I will build my hopes up. I'll try and stay positive and just hope that next year there will be some improvement. To me this year I see no improvement at all. In fact we may finish at a lower spot on the premiership table than we were last year. I hope I am wrong.

Our list isn't much different to 2012. We finished 2nd in minor premiership right? I think the list is better now.
So it's gameplan and execution that's not working. And picking not our best side

and therein lies the problem. Other teams have evolved where ours has, in the main, stagnated.

We should be picking the best side available. Otherwise based on playing in a flag Riewoldt would never get a game again, you can name heaps of stars.
What's most important is getting kids games but having the leadership in the team to make them better (decision, responsibility etc etc).
By dropping all these leaders the young kids don't learn from our best and they need to. CEY, Crouch Jnr, Atkins, Wigg etc will get a lot of games. The balance must be right.
But you can't just jump at shadows from a big loss. Look, i have no idea why they didn't turn up. We looked fast against port and ferocious. Against the swans we looked slow, so, so slow.
I turned it off I was getting so angry, I had to otherwise something in the near vicinity would have copped it (GF received short sharp retaliation).
We have had too many changes and sh*t things happen lately, we need to stick fat. Admin is changing for the right direction we need to have some faith in the coaches and selectors. If it keeps happening fair enough. But right now we need to wait it out.

I know you mean in terms of the current admin, but the merry-go-round has been going for 10 years and I can't see any change at all. How much longer shall we wait?

We need a HUGE broom through the club. Noble, Harper etc... might need to be pushed if they are happy to be competitive and aren't making every day about striving to be elite.

If the AFC wants to win a premiership in this decade, we have to be very, very smart and astute about it. The consistent under-performers have to go -- we need to go through a mini-rebuild, and if that doesn't work, a full rebuild.

There are eighteen clubs now, all vying for the same thing, and our current core will be mostly retired within seven years. That is why the club needs to start being more astute *right now*. We'll give ourselves a shot if we're smart about it. In my opinion, that means quite a few sub-premiership-standard players being moved on, and continuing with what Fages said - building Australia's best football department.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back