Crows Result: An Inconvenient Truth

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Today's result shows an insight to what may end up being a somewhat disappointing season.

Enough of the tubthumping about being ok without Cousins and Judd - let's get to the honest truth; our midfield is slow this year and lacks skill in its disposal. Each of Embley, Steglein, Braun and Fletcher are past their peak and will only deteriorate in their endurance and consistency.

We waste time in the centre overusing the ball because we still have no organisational setup in our forward line which just causes congestion and allows opposition backmen to outnumber us at every forward contest which takes our big men out the game as they are easily beaten to the ground ball.

With our big men ineffective, we are then unable to kick high scores if our midfield doesn't get forward and kick the majority of them. However with the midfield brigade lacking in pace and being unable to hit targets - we can't expect it to occur all too often this season.

With the combined inputs of our midfield being slower to get up the ground and not kicking to the advantage of our forwards, and our forwards being unable to compete for the ground ball and man their opponents effectively - the opposition can effectively build a wall across half back and launch waves of counterattacks against us before our defense has time to effectively man up.

As a result of this it becomes very hard for us to attack quickly off half back ourselves, as our backmen become weary of running off their men offensively should it come back quickly the other way, which ironically gives the opposition more space through the middle of the ground to get it in quickly when they are on the counter.
Additionally this also provides the opposition with higher percentage scoring chances as they are mostly from the central corridor (Adelaide 21.7 today with almost all their goals from with 45 degree of centre; conversely the majority of our chances were from greater than 45 degrees angle to the goals).

Another worrying trend that seems to be emerging is being unable to contain an opposition forward if they are having a good day. If you include the final preseason match with near full strength squad against Essendon then bags of 6, 6 and 7 have been gained by individual players against us in the past three games. Many of our defenders seem lost at times without the midfield help that they have had in previous seasons and it is now being exploited.

We have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we are no longer one of the highflyers of the competition challenging for premierships, but now are just a decent side that can be very good on its day.

We only have three players that seem capable of winning contests in the middle: Cox, Kerr and Priddis - each of the others is either ineffective or inconsistant, and we can't keep all three on all game unfortunately.

The youngsters coming through whilst they may in time be very good are not going to be the saviours that some have been touting this season - they need to be given time to develop.

It's not just Cousins and Judd being missed - its Chick's aggression and tagging on players like McCleod or Johncock, RoJo's workrate off the ball to keep the opposition honest and even Banfield's ability as a second tagger in the centre if needed - none of those voids have been filled adequately as of yet.

To gain anything from this season we will have completely restructure the way we play, otherwise other teams whom have watched this will just play the same tactic to gain similar results.

Less big men up forward - Lynch, Kennedy each one out and Hansen playing up the ground and then have one or two crumbers hanging around the 50 arc running forward towards contests when it comes in to take the spoils - get the congestion out of there.

Play Cox as an onballer and Seaby as the ruckman - we don't have enough quality through the centre and Cox is absolute gold.

Stack the backline - I know, I know, its ugly and its not our style - but if we are not winning the middle and the backline is under the pump and we have players up forward whom are just bring more opponents to our big men and not much else, then why not put them down at half back to help get it out of defensive 50 easier and also congest the leads of opposition marking forwards?

Sorry about the long post - as you know its been a long day; IMO today is worse than the debacle against Port last year - at least we were injured then and Port were a top team headed for a final.
Today we had a good list to choose from and this was the result from a side that most had tipped to struggle to make the top eight.

Woosha never play two debutants in the same game again - we average a 14 goal loss whenever that happens :(

i agree, it is the end of the world.

If you have nothing to say - then say nothing. You spend your entire time dismissing every piece of critisism on this board with no constructive argument from yourself.

If you disagree - tell us why.

I kind of agree mate.

I think our season will be similar to 2004, where we were only rising and winning away from home was a real challenge. 2005 we were getting there and thus in 2006 we got there.

That's how I think 2008/09/10 will go. Hopefully this time no big incidents along the way. The pace of our midfield is a problem, yes, but its how quickly you move it that matters too.

The turn around isn't so much in losing Cousins and Judd, its that this off season has seen a massive downturn in skills across the entire field... We used to be decent across the board, however, I wasn't confident when almost anyone got the ball, save perhaps Cox. We have always been able to get away with the bomb into the forward 50, but when our skills were as bad as they were today, it obviously becomes a much larger issue...

And to be fair, we were against a great defensive unit... If there is one thing the Crows know how to do effectively, it is stifle any forward productivity and rebound it out of the defence extremely quickly. We didn't try hard enough today and it showed with the likes of McLeod, Johncock and Porplyzia being given free reign to run almost a hundred metres without someone trying to stop them...

Glass was injured early and that also showed... Very slow and worrying day.. .Will be listening keenly for any news throughout the week...

However, the consolation is that no one realistically expected West Coast to be as good as they were... And WC showed why today... It is a changing team and it needs time... And to be fair, we have games like this every year, even in the years when we were on top.

It is a very climbable hill, however, when it gets as bad as it did today, it is sometimes difficult to see light in any discernible future...
AND its only round 2... Teams have come back from much worse starts to end well...

Don't worry about kicking bags of goals. We now can't even defend and our 1st class midfield had become just average. If I was at the game I would've booed them off the field and they would be deserving it too. Very disappointed indeed.

somtimes you just gotta call it as you see it!

we got outcoached today.

some people regard a little bit of critisisim as betrayal
I know, as if criticising the team is a personal attack... Just read the gameday thread and anyone who thinks that way will hate me :p...

Played right into the Crows hands....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta agree and I did say before we are discounting the Crows here. Their new game plan is effective. Thought keep in mind we always get one thrashing every season..if this was it only this season we are in good position. :eek:

Play Cox as an onballer and Seaby as the ruckman - we don't have enough quality through the centre and Cox is absolute gold.

Can you please write to Woosha and tell him this!

I totally agree. And as for Staker he is either Down back or in the WAFL. I'm sick of these fringe players which the Eagles seem to always have patients with. Woosha in my mind has these players which he gives more than enough time to prove them selves- then he keeps them in the side! Staker, RoJo and others in the past he persists with when they won't win games of football for us!

i know we were s**t, im just saying that it was a one off. if we keep at it, we'll improve. its not the end of the world, just gotta stick to our guns.

The footskills of the crows was very slick with little or no pressure on the ballcarrier.They justdid as they pleased wewere very ordinary.Time for WOosha to pull out his big stick and beat some accountability into his charges.

Today's result shows an insight to what may end up being a somewhat disappointing season.

Enough of the tubthumping about being ok without Cousins and Judd - let's get to the honest truth; our midfield is slow this year and lacks skill in its disposal. Each of Embley, Steglein, Braun and Fletcher are past their peak and will only deteriorate in their endurance and consistency.

We waste time in the centre overusing the ball because we still have no organisational setup in our forward line which just causes congestion and allows opposition backmen to outnumber us at every forward contest which takes our big men out the game as they are easily beaten to the ground ball.

With our big men ineffective, we are then unable to kick high scores if our midfield doesn't get forward and kick the majority of them. However with the midfield brigade lacking in pace and being unable to hit targets - we can't expect it to occur all too often this season.

With the combined inputs of our midfield being slower to get up the ground and not kicking to the advantage of our forwards, and our forwards being unable to compete for the ground ball and man their opponents effectively - the opposition can effectively build a wall across half back and launch waves of counterattacks against us before our defense has time to effectively man up.

As a result of this it becomes very hard for us to attack quickly off half back ourselves, as our backmen become weary of running off their men offensively should it come back quickly the other way, which ironically gives the opposition more space through the middle of the ground to get it in quickly when they are on the counter.
Additionally this also provides the opposition with higher percentage scoring chances as they are mostly from the central corridor (Adelaide 21.7 today with almost all their goals from with 45 degree of centre; conversely the majority of our chances were from greater than 45 degrees angle to the goals).

Another worrying trend that seems to be emerging is being unable to contain an opposition forward if they are having a good day. If you include the final preseason match with near full strength squad against Essendon then bags of 6, 6 and 7 have been gained by individual players against us in the past three games. Many of our defenders seem lost at times without the midfield help that they have had in previous seasons and it is now being exploited.

We have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we are no longer one of the highflyers of the competition challenging for premierships, but now are just a decent side that can be very good on its day.

We only have three players that seem capable of winning contests in the middle: Cox, Kerr and Priddis - each of the others is either ineffective or inconsistant, and we can't keep all three on all game unfortunately.

The youngsters coming through whilst they may in time be very good are not going to be the saviours that some have been touting this season - they need to be given time to develop.

It's not just Cousins and Judd being missed - its Chick's aggression and tagging on players like McCleod or Johncock, RoJo's workrate off the ball to keep the opposition honest and even Banfield's ability as a second tagger in the centre if needed - none of those voids have been filled adequately as of yet.

To gain anything from this season we will have completely restructure the way we play, otherwise other teams whom have watched this will just play the same tactic to gain similar results.

Less big men up forward - Lynch, Kennedy each one out and Hansen playing up the ground and then have one or two crumbers hanging around the 50 arc running forward towards contests when it comes in to take the spoils - get the congestion out of there.

Stack the backline - I know, I know, its ugly and its not our style - but if we are not winning the middle and the backline is under the pump and we have players up forward whom are just bring more opponents to our big men and not much else, then why not put them down at half back to help get it out of defensive 50 easier and also congest the leads of opposition marking forwards?

Sorry about the long post - as you know its been a long day; IMO today is worse than the debacle against Port last year - at least we were injured then and Port were a top team headed for a final.
Today we had a good list to choose from and this was the result from a side that most had tipped to struggle to make the top eight.

Woosha never play two debutants in the same game again - we average a 14 goal loss whenever that happens :(
Wow, that is one long post - with lots of bold

I see it like this:

2000 Absolute Rock bottom
2001 Rock bottom
2002 Climbling the mountain
2003 Bit of progress
2004 Bit more progress
2005 s**t load of progress
2006 Flag into the peak
2007 The slide starts
2008 The slide continues

So where as 2000-2006 we were on the way up, the next 5 years we will probably be on the decline. Another GF seems a long way away.

I was astounded when I saw the score card for you guys against the crows today.

It will make the derby interesting.
We really need to register a win and you guys will need to get over that shitmixing.

Gunna be a great derby :)

I was astounded when I saw the score card for you guys against the crows today.

It will make the derby interesting.
We really need to register a win and you guys will need to get over that shitmixing.

Gunna be a great derby :)
I was astounded to see you haven`t won a game yet.Your right it will make a great derby.You guys will need to get over being on the bottom of the ladder with no wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back