Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
What do you all make of this on SEN:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/06/crows-salary-cap-crisis/

"
A salary cap crisis looms at Adelaide with the Crows asking players to take pay cuts.

SEN Inside Football understands that in the wake of monster deals for Josh Jenkins and Eddie Betts, on top of handsome packages to satisfy Taylor Walker, Rory Sloane, Tom Lynch, Sam Jacobs, Daniel Talia and others, the Crows, who’ve finished no higher than sixth in each of the past four seasons, are at their salary cap limit.

Of priority is re-signing young-guns Mitch McGovern and Jake Lever, who are both out of contract at seasons end. It’s very likely that unless teammates come to the party, one or both will not be at the club in 2018.

McGovern has the lure of returning to play with his brother Jeremy at West Coast, while Lever played his TAC Cup footy with the Calder Cannons.

Given the current state of progress under Don Pyke, it would be a monumental blow to lose to emerging players on the cusp of stardom.

Lever, who is reportedly happy to remain at the Crows, recently put contract talks on hold as he awaits the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to be finalised. Reports suggest the salary cap could increase by as much as 20 percent.

It was reported in February that McGovern, who has been an eye-catcher in the opening two rounds of the season, was also shying at contract talks as he weighed up his playing future.

The Crows’ salary cap issues forced out youngster Jarryd Lyons last year, who joined Gold Coast on an significantly better deal than the one offered by Adelaide.

Tight purse strings were also said part of the equation that thwarted Bryce Gibbs’ attempt to join the club during last year’s trade period"

What do you all make of this on SEN:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/06/crows-salary-cap-crisis/

"
A salary cap crisis looms at Adelaide with the Crows asking players to take pay cuts.

SEN Inside Football understands that in the wake of monster deals for Josh Jenkins and Eddie Betts, on top of handsome packages to satisfy Taylor Walker, Rory Sloane, Tom Lynch, Sam Jacobs, Daniel Talia and others, the Crows, who’ve finished no higher than sixth in each of the past four seasons, are at their salary cap limit.

Of priority is re-signing young-guns Mitch McGovern and Jake Lever, who are both out of contract at seasons end. It’s very likely that unless teammates come to the party, one or both will not be at the club in 2018.

McGovern has the lure of returning to play with his brother Jeremy at West Coast, while Lever played his TAC Cup footy with the Calder Cannons.

Given the current state of progress under Don Pyke, it would be a monumental blow to lose to emerging players on the cusp of stardom.

Lever, who is reportedly happy to remain at the Crows, recently put contract talks on hold as he awaits the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to be finalised. Reports suggest the salary cap could increase by as much as 20 percent.

It was reported in February that McGovern, who has been an eye-catcher in the opening two rounds of the season, was also shying at contract talks as he weighed up his playing future.

The Crows’ salary cap issues forced out youngster Jarryd Lyons last year, who joined Gold Coast on an significantly better deal than the one offered by Adelaide.

Tight purse strings were also said part of the equation that thwarted Bryce Gibbs’ attempt to join the club during last year’s trade period"
I thought gibbs didnt come because of a trade not taking place i.e. carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forced out Jarrod Lyons.

I lol'd

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I think they mean we held back paying his market value so we could afford Gibbs, basically showing Lyons the the door. But Lyons asked for a trade, the club didn't value him.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

War chest has been used on contracts by JJ, Betts, Talia, Smith.....
We already had those guys on good money.

The war chest is a joke. There isn't one.

Should have one, but don't due to Trigg and Chapman.

Surely a 20% increase in the cap will pay for lever and McGovern? Thompson out the door also gives us more cash. When is Mackay's contact up?

And hiw did Salary Cap issues stop Gibbs coming here. He agreed to join us and the salary we offered. The deal fell down when Carlton wanted Gold for Nickel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah makes me think its BS

Gibbs would have been on 500-600k at least. Also with the new CBA there is going to be a generous rise in the cap over the coming 4-5 years. We could see it at $20mill very soon.

Player managers leak "contract offers" to the media to push up prices, clubs leak "salary cap pressure" to push prices down.

Crows are probably near the cap, as they should be with the current group, but with the structuring of front ended/back ended contracts there are always ways to keep a player if need be.

This is a bit of foxing based on a bit of truth.

We already had those guys on good money.

The war chest is a joke. There isn't one.

Should have one, but don't due to Trigg and Chapman.

I'd think that when it became obvious that we weren't going to get a star, Contracts (Talia, Jacobs etc) were re-structured (on the same total payments) but moved to front load their contracts creating cap-space later on, but tension now.

I think the Lyons & Gibbs comments are rubbish.

However, the club did opt to go one short on the senior list this year - and that's usually an indication that the salary cap is tight.

Could be front loaded contracts to make room for a Gibbs or, dare we dream, Martin, Fyfe or Rocky.

This years draft is also forward/ruck heavy so we could plausibly trade McGovern and free up the $400k he might demand and grab an equal talent in the draft.

Surely a 20% increase in the cap will pay for lever and McGovern? Thompson out the door also gives us more cash. When is Mackay's contact up?

I reckon Thommo would be on small cash in his last year..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back