Adelaide
Other Teams
Banhammer Big House Under 70s
<http://afc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=130005>

Crows in good shape: Schwerdt
Matthew Robran
afc.com.au
2:08:40 PM Wed 24 December, 2003

Adelaide fitness coach Stephen Schwerdt says the Crows are in ‘pretty good shape’ after their final pre-Christmas training session – the now familiar five-kilometre time trial around West Lakes.

“We have not had too many players off the track because of injury, which is always a good indication of how well the players are travelling,” Schwerdt said.

“The testing we have conducted throughout the pre-season indicates they are in pretty good shape. Each year the players aim to raise the bar and this year has been no different.”

Asked whether he felt the squad had improved from this time last year, Schwerdt said: “We placed a very strong influence this year on individual programs. It wasn’t our main focus that they had to achieve a PB in the 5km time trial, as there was other emphasis, particularly in our weight training. It was very encouraging to see that when we did our 5km test, all players were around their PB.”

Adelaide’s midfielders have again impressed on the training track.

“Neil Craig sets some fairly high standards that we expect from guys who play in the midfield,” Schwerdt said. “We have some good role models for our younger midfielders to look up to. (Mark) Ricciuto, (Andrew) McLeod, (Brett) Burton and (Simon) Goodwin are elite athletes who give the younger players something to aspire to.”

The Crows were hit hard by injuries to key personnel last season. Ronnie Burns, Wayne Carey, Scott Welsh, Mark Stevens, Burton and Goodwin missed a considerable slice of 2003.

“Scotty has been excellent and he has not missed a beat,” Schwerdt said. “His conditioning is great and he has done everything asked of him. Stevo has done quite a bit of running and football work over the past few weeks and we anticipate he will join full training in the new year. We are pleased with his progress.”

Schwerdt was especially upbeat about Carey’s progress.

“He has been sensational,” he said. “He came back in very good shape and displayed his true professionalism, and we couldn’t have asked any more from him. He has been a terrific example for the guys with the way he has gone about his training.”

The importance of Carey’s influence cannot be underestimated. With the ability to bring team-mates into the game, he showed his immense value to the side in wet or dry conditions this year.

Asked if the club had changed tact with Carey’s training program this year, Schwerdt said: “We sat down with Wayne at the end of the season and discussed how we could avoid all the difficulties we encountered with him last pre-season.

“This time around, we planned for him to do more speed and agility work during the off-season so that when it came time to bring out the footies, his body was ready.”

Schwerdt’s message to the players was simple. “When they return from their break, they must match or better the time they ran today (Tuesday) for the 5km time trial,” he said.

“The players have only a 12-day break but, from a conditioning point of view, you can do a fair bit of damage in 12 days. Gary (Ayres) and I both emphasise that the players have a goal they must achieve when they come back and that they should do everything possible to achieve that goal.”

Its good to hear an intelligent answer when pressed if the Crows are in better shape than this time last year...Well said Schwerdty,

Keep off the Christmas pud boys
:D

Usually hear how everyone is performing best times, etc this time of year.

Reckon M Stevens injuries are still a concern. Hope the new training regime will get him consistently on the park in 2004.

Did anyone else see the pics of Carey comparing 2000 (I think) to present day. Unbelievable how much he has bulked up. Is this a good or bad thing?

• Banned
Yeah I seen them....They were all wet from the missus droolin' all over them.:D
Id would be nice if he could jump and mark above shoulder height. I dont wat his agility to improve just his marking.
I thought he was agile enough last year.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Did anyone else see the pics of Carey comparing 2000 (I think) to present day. Unbelievable how much he has bulked up. Is this a good or bad thing?
yeah, i saw that.. he needs to stay outta the gym i reckon. he was big enough before, now he's just massive! :eek:

Originally posted by lozstar
yeah, i saw that.. he needs to stay outta the gym i reckon. he was big enough before, now he's just massive! :eek:

Reckon next year we will see Carey playing the Lynch style of forward play (that's "forward" play macca ;) ) of more body contact & less leading & jumping hence the amount of upper body muscle on his frame.

Originally posted by noddy
Reckon next year we will see Carey playing the Lynch style of forward play (that's "forward" play macca ;) ) of more body contact & less leading & jumping hence the amount of upper body muscle on his frame.

Don't worry noddy, I hadn't confused that with foreplay which while still focusing on body contact, is more concerned with lower body muscle. :D

Back to the forward play. ;)

I think you're on the money with Carey's style of play in the coming year. He's certainly bulked up since last year when he clearly showed his days of strong overhead marking are now over thanks to those shoulders. The extra body strength will come in very handy in a one on one marking jostle a la Lynch, who takes nearly all those marks on his chest.

On the other hand, Carey did show last year that he has not lost any of his footy smarts. I thought his recovery efforts were the strongest part of his game last year, and the AFC are working even more on his agility in his pre-season training.

IMO this should be the year that we really get the pay-back from Carey that we were hoping for.

PS Noddy, now that Ben Marsh has become a tiger (miaow miaow), are you still the Treasurer of the Ben Marsh F/C, or did you pass the 83 cents onto the new Treasurer?? ;)

Originally posted by macca23

PS Noddy, now that Ben Marsh has become a tiger (miaow miaow), are you still the Treasurer of the Ben Marsh F/C, or did you pass the 83 cents onto the new Treasurer?? ;)

Still waiting for all monetary claims to be finalized before i relinquish my title of treasurer & disband the Ben Marsh fan club :(

by the way the full amount is $1.83 thank you very much :cool:

Originally posted by noddy
Still waiting for all monetary claims to be finalized before i relinquish my title of treasurer & disband the Ben Marsh fan club :(

by the way the full amount is $1.83 thank you very much :cool:
If Marsh hadn't gone, then I would have been happy to part with $2 in true Cunno's style just to p!$$ him off somewhere else! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back