Game Day Crows v Dockers featuring "He wasn't terrible"

Remove this Banner Ad

Its officially wet and we're playing four tall forwards. Madness.

On the other hand, Otten is a super good bloke so can't drop him:rolleyes:.

Can't wait to see this slow, immobile forward line try and lock the ball in the forward half in the wet

Gee I wonder if a low centre of gravity midfielder with speed would be handy on a night like tonight? Gallucci anyone??

Otten and Kelly starting on the bench. All but admitting that we are too tall but don't have the guts to make a hard call.

4 talls being a master stroke in the wet sure would be unique.

Unfathomable we've gone in unchanged. As close as I've ever come to wanting us to lose the game.

I still don't but it's a very fine line.

Why are we playing so tall in this weather? Would've been a great game to test Gooch in.

Because our coaches seem to know ****-all about selection and their answer to every failure is 'back in our players and structures'.:rolleyes:

I've got a bad feeling about this. Too much rain and too tall.

any news on late change? Need one tall prob Otten out for a mid type.

Love reading back the Gameday thread after the fact :)

This is not a cop-out ( ok maybe it is) but I'm not sure the effort by Freo helped decide the tall/small argument.

But full credit to the coaching panel and the selectors for following their own script.
Exactly right. Our two ins could have been Bert & Ernie and we would have still won in a canter

I think the quality of our small forwards made up for the tall timber.

Otten playing fwd also helped ease my worries. Wasnt looking forward to Laird and Brown being the only crumbers down back.

I think the quality of our small forwards made up for the tall timber.

Otten playing fwd also helped ease my worries. Wasnt looking forward to Laird and Brown being the only crumbers down back.

From where I sat last night (Middle tier, Riverbank, in the rain!), Otto played a great game last night. He's well and truly earned his spot next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure whatever.
?

It was tough, congested football with lots of stoppages and scrimmages. Hack it forward, compete, get numbers to the contest.

Spread, speed, quick ball movement, inside/outside balance not much of a factor.

From where I sat last night (Middle tier, Riverbank, in the rain!), Otto played a great game last night. He's well and truly earned his spot next week.
He is definitely a better fwd than he is a defender. His footy smarts are insane, but once the ball is on the deck in the backline, we are in trouble.

I like him up forward dont get me wrong. I was simply concerned Jenkins in would move him back

?

It was tough, congested football with lots of stoppages and scrimmages. Hack it forward, compete, get numbers to the contest.

Spread, speed, quick ball movement, inside/outside balance not much of a factor.
Agreed but winning the contested ball and using it well is vital. We did very well and in my view a good and impressive win.

?

Not "as much" of a factor. I thought our quick ball movement was still there when the chance came, in fact there were moments of run & gun that completely belied the conditions. Our willingness to do that, and our ability to execute it, were a highlight for me as much as the intense stuff. Albeit the latter is probably more significant as a 'signpost'.

I said we were too tall on Thursday, and we were. If we go the same route Friday we will get smashed
I've got no posts to prove it, but I was a bit 'meh' about the 'too tall' thing.

Walker and Lynch don't really play tall and their below the waist / on the ground skills / agility are as good as any 'tall forward'. I didn't think we were genuinely playing four 'tall forwards'.

I didn't expect Otto to be clunkin' 'em in the wet, though. :eek:

I've got no posts to prove it, but I was a bit 'meh' about the 'too tall' thing.

Walker and Lynch don't really play tall and their below the waist / on the ground skills / agility are as good as any 'tall forward'. I didn't think we were genuinely playing four 'tall forwards'.

I didn't expect Otto to be clunkin' 'em in the wet, though. :eek:
I think if you're going to play that tall you need to have even numbers in your forwardline to give yourself a chance.

Something we struggle with against Geelong. Can't have Henderson, Lonergan or Mackie sitting behind play by themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back