Game Day Crows v Eagles - Lambs heading for doom [now with 100% more POLL ]

Who will win today and by how much? (closes ~4.30PM ACST)

• Crows 100+ points

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Crows under 100 points

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Eagles under 10 points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eagles 10-50 points

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Eagles 50-100 points

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Eagles 100+ points

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It is ironic isnt it the guy who literally can't keep up gets a game. Great player in SANFL not AFL quality. Did some okay things but doesn't make up for his lack of anything resembling pace. List needs a culling end of year ... We need to be ruthless.
Gets by in the SANFL because he's got one of the best footy brains going around.

He earned it from his performance in 2018.

Bit hard to earn if when you are not picked in Rnd 1 and are played in the completely wrong position for most of the season.

He didn’t earn it from performance in 2018, unless you were watching a different season then me

It’s funny, not saying you in particular, so don’t take it that way..but I see posts all the time decrying selections without merit of play

Yet when it comes to a raw kid, almost without exception it’s “throw him in”.

Bottom line is at one point this season we were in top 4. He had no reason to be called in.

I will entertain that he should have been selected earlier during the slide after the bye week—I think that is a fair argument.

But if we are going performance based off of last year and how the team was running up until the slide—nope, not buying it

He didn’t earn it from performance in 2018, unless you were watching a different season then me

It’s funny, not saying you in particular, so don’t take it that way..but I see posts all the time decrying selections without merit of play

Yet when it comes to a raw kid, almost without exception it’s “throw him in”.

Bottom line is at one point this season we were in top 4. He had no reason to be called in.

I will entertain that he should have been selected earlier during the slide after the bye week—I think that is a fair argument.

But if we are going performance based off of last year and how the team was running up until the slide—nope, not buying it

You are wrong.

Due to the following:

1)The decrying of selection without merit of play is largely centered on established senior players, who have many games of experience, development and training, cohesion in the team, etc. This is because those very experienced, very senior players should be performing at a high level, because of their experience, a number of them do not, and it takes a long time for them to be dropped.

2)Young, inexperienced players do not have experience and have not had the same development and team cohesion as the senior players, yet they are often dropped very quickly and take a long time to return, usually to bring back a senior player that doesn't deserve selection based on merit of play.

3)Selecting based on performance matters less when the goal is to develop a team of players to content towards the premiership, it doesn't mean that you don't drop young players, just that you show consistency, and at times you allow players to play in order to gain experience at the highest level, because that is how you systemically play youth to develop a side.

4) We may have been top 4, but that is poor analysis, very surface level stuff when you actually look at our form, the context of our position and the performances and circumstances of the teams we played, the results after the bye were not surprising.

5)If you think the team was going well up until 'the slide' then you have no idea, none, zero, zilch, zip.

You are wrong.

Due to the following:

1)The decrying of selection without merit of play is largely centered on established senior players, who have many games of experience, development and training, cohesion in the team, etc. This is because those very experienced, very senior players should be performing at a high level, because of their experience, a number of them do not, and it takes a long time for them to be dropped.

2)Young, inexperienced players do not have experience and have not had the same development and team cohesion as the senior players, yet they are often dropped very quickly and take a long time to return, usually to bring back a senior player that doesn't deserve selection based on merit of play.

3)Selecting based on performance matters less when the goal is to develop a team of players to content towards the premiership, it doesn't mean that you don't drop young players, just that you show consistency, and at times you allow players to play in order to gain experience at the highest level, because that is how you systemically play youth to develop a side.

4) We may have been top 4, but that is poor analysis, very surface level stuff when you actually look at our form, the context of our position and the performances and circumstances of the teams we played, the results after the bye were not surprising.

5)If you think the team was going well up until 'the slide' then you have no idea, none, zero, zilch, zip.

You have your opinion and I have mine. But I most certainly am not “wrong”

It’s pointless to get into a back in forth with you.

I note with amusement that in a result oriented business, a top 4 standing is considered “poor analysis”.

You remind me of many a Browns fan that for nearly 2 plus decades explained how playing youngsters that had no damn business playing was part of the glorious “plan” to turning it all around.

They too, would try to explain 3-13, 1-15, and 0-16 wasn’t what it seemed.

All sports and I mean ALL, are result based. They keep score and they keep track of wins and losses for a reason—you are what your record says you are.

Playing inexperienced players for no other reason then to play them is a sure ticket to years of futility

But what do I know ;)

You have your opinion and I have mine. But I most certainly am not “wrong”

It’s pointless to get into a back in forth with you.

I note with amusement that in a result oriented business, a top 4 standing is considered “poor analysis”.

You remind me of many a Browns fan that for nearly 2 plus decades explained how playing youngsters that had no damn business playing was part of the glorious “plan” to turning it all around.

They too, would try to explain 3-13, 1-15, and 0-16 wasn’t what it seemed.

All sports and I mean ALL, are result based. They keep score and they keep track of wins and losses for a reason—you are what your record says you are.

Playing inexperienced players for no other reason then to play them is a sure ticket to years of futility

But what do I know ;)

Yeah you have an opinion, it is isn't very good, or based on fact, and I have an opinion, it is based on fact.

It is poor analysis, we're 9th for a reason, in part because the squad we put out on the park isn't good enough, you know what doesn't make a squad good, playing the same players that aren't good enough, especially when they are in their 30s. We were in 4th position, because we have beaten up on teams that were either terrible or had horrific runs with injury. Note that while were were apparently a top 4 side, we had lost most of our home games and had given up significant leads to go on to lose. I fondly remember that powerful performance against a bottom 2 Melbourne side where we only won because they failed to score on the siren.

See what I mean about poor analysis, we might have been sitting 4th at one point, but just saying we were 4th carries about the same significance as the Crows trotting out that we were in the 8 the other week after losing 4/5 games. Honestly if you think we were going well you really give away how little you know.

What exactly are you arguing? The Crows do not engage in merit based selection currently, they haven't since Blight, not really. The way the Crows go about it also doesn't work. Especially when anyone with any intellectual honesty within themselves could see that we were not contending this year, even when we were 'in the top 4' based purely on actually watching our games and understanding the positions of the teams we played.

Last edited:
Back