Preview CROWS versus port - Community Series Match - Sunday 4.10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

It would surprise me. We won't be playing Port every week. And will have good and bad weeks.

We will win more games than 2020. Not by a lot, but we will.

And my real hope for the season in terms of results is that we knock off some top 8 teams.

We will get toweled up by some. But if we can be in the game and have a sniff, and they have a win penciled in, then there's pressure on them, and we cause an upset.

Seeing development in the young players is most important for sure. Getting some results is important in them seeing a future at the club. Getting humped every week is soul destroying.

We are very, very much in the early stages of a rebuild. It's not going to be good for awhile.

Go back and look at the schedule, we'll be lucky to win 2 games. We started on the young player route and should persist with it. Bad losses will happen but some youngsters will learn quickly, others will flounder and eventually leave the club. As supporters we have to learn how to deal with it. It's going to hard.

Yep :(

Do we even know how to develop young players?

Players who look ready and are screaming out for an opportunity in a position there are multiple injuries (Eg Worrell this week) we can't find a spot for.

Players like Jones and McAsey last season who are really struggling, getting no benefit by playing and need a break... they stay in.
Yep. What a rabble we are. Jones is lamentably bad. Crouch and laird just build stats for the sake of it.

Go back and look at the schedule, we'll be lucky to win 2 games. We started on the young player route and should persist with it. Bad losses will happen but some youngsters will learn quickly, others will flounder and eventually leave the club. As supporters we have to learn how to deal with it. It's going to hard.
It will be a wasted year if we go for wins and try to minimise the damage and avoid blow outs over development which may sound bad, but nicks talk of Kelly, lynch and McKay coming back in will only hinder the development. Would rather we only win 2-4 games getting 10+ games each into rowey, RT, berry, pedlar, butts, Fog, Ned, Hately & Schoenberg even a raw newchurch rather than playing Kelly, seed, lynch, McKay & co.
If they drop off give them a rest and bring another in, there’s no point having kids sit on the list we need to know if they can play at the level and they can’t just be played 1 game here and 1 game there they need blocks of games or in a couple of years time when tex, Sloane, Talia, Lynch and co retire the kids are 21/22 and have played 10 games not 40 or 50 games.
having Tex, laird, Smithers, Sloane & Talia as the senior core on the field gives a good spread of experience across the ground to guide and almost act as on field coaches.

It will be a wasted year if we go for wins and try to minimise the damage and avoid blow outs over development which may sound bad, but nicks talk of Kelly, lynch and McKay coming back in will only hinder the development. Would rather we only win 2-4 games getting 10+ games each into rowey, RT, berry, pedlar, butts, Fog, Ned, Hately & Schoenberg even a raw newchurch rather than playing Kelly, seed, lynch, McKay & co.
If they drop off give them a rest and bring another in, there’s no point having kids sit on the list we need to know if they can play at the level and they can’t just be played 1 game here and 1 game there they need blocks of games or in a couple of years time when tex, Sloane, Talia, Lynch and co retire the kids are 21/22 and have played 10 games not 40 or 50 games.
having Tex, laird, Smithers, Sloane & Talia as the senior core on the field gives a good spread of experience across the ground to guide and almost act as on field coaches.
They need to go for wins whilst bringing in youth. Take away crows early poor performance last year, they were probably the best team to finish bottom. Lost a few games by a kick with mostly due to poor goal kicking. Winning games will allow the younger guys to develop confidence and create competition for spots. Crows should be aiming for 6-8 wins this year.

They need to go for wins whilst bringing in youth.

The time to go for wins "whilst bringing in youth" was 2018/19. We went for wins "to save careers" instead, and now our list is dire. Wins in 2021 are irrelevant. Exposing the youth to 20 games of AFL football is paramount. There does need to be some experience/senior players on the field, but the priority should be experience for the youth.

Worrell isn’t a KPD ffs! How many times does this need to be stated? Murray plays a very different role and will obviously lose his spot to Talia once he’s fit. Hinge played the Worrell role yesterday and was average, so I hope Worrell is in the round one discussion as it sounds like he played well in the sanfl trial.
Hinge was god awful. Worrell is a much better player and deserves to play.

Hinge was god awful. Worrell is a much better player and deserves to play.

I have some patience with Hinge, he was on the precipe of breaking through at a much better club in Brisbane and does have a good kick on him.

I'd give him the first 6 weeks to see if anything is there with him.

I have some patience with Hinge, he was on the precipe of breaking through at a much better club in Brisbane and does have a good kick on him.

I don’t think he’s a lockdown player though, which they tried yesterday. Let him off the leash and use his kicking ability.

We need to find a spot for Worrell. Forward or back. The guy can play and I don't want to see another player depart the club looking for more opportunity. I would definitely play Worrell over Kelly or Lynch. Would play him over Fogarty or Frampton as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to the Presser post match and in this case I tend to agree with Nicks. Down back we could have definitely used Kelly, We lacked a voice to try and calm things down at times. I no fan of Kelly but sometimes an older voice helps. Talia provides that voice but he is still not close with the knee.

Mackey, I'm well past but Jones was providing nothing, again Mookie would have provided some drive. I agree Lynch, Seed should be playing in the SANFL along with Sloane and Tex. When Doedee is fit he should replace Kelly if he's playing. Youngsters like Worell, Pedler and Berry need to play and keep those like Mookie out.

The time to go for wins "whilst bringing in youth" was 2018/19. We went for wins "to save careers" instead, and now our list is dire. Wins in 2021 are irrelevant. Exposing the youth to 20 games of AFL football is paramount. There does need to be some experience/senior players on the field, but the priority should be experience for the youth.
Is 20 games of 10 goal defeats going to develop any players?

We need to be prioritising youth, but we need to be winning matches too.

Why is this an apologists thing ? I’d say it’s the opposite . The club has given Fogarty ample opportunity and obviously rate him higher than I do

you’re the one being the club apologist on this occasion

the kid never really fired much of a shot when he was a junior footballer either

I think he would have been a good player out of the square in the 1980s but the game is a different style these days

I can’t see him making it and am happy to call it early and risk egg on my face
I'm coming around to agree with you...if he doesn't make decent headway this year now that all reports have suggested he's improved all his numbers in the fitness fields I doubt he's ever going to be the player the club had hoped.

Is 20 games of 10 goal defeats going to develop any players?

We need to be prioritising youth, but we need to be winning matches too.

We were getting smashed by 10 goals with our "best side" last year. Look at the Kangaroos game. May as well get smashed whilst giving kids 20 games.

So Caleb Serong rising star winner went one pick after MCAsey and Tanner Bruhn went one pick after Luke Pedler . Tanner kicked 4 goals yesterday in his first real game for GWS first team whilst Pedlar played in our seconds against Norwood . Tanner also played no footy last year so coming of less of a base . Will we rue these two decisions .

So Caleb Serong rising star winner went one pick after MCAsey and Tanner Bruhn went one pick after Luke Pedler . Tanner kicked 4 goals yesterday in his first real game for GWS first team whilst Pedlar played in our seconds against Norwood . Tanner also played no footy last year so coming of less of a base . Will we rue these two decisions .

We have a plethora of smalls on our list, so overlooking Serong can be explained.

Pedlar will play 200 games for us.

No.

Pedlar will be fine, and also didn't play much footy last year and came off a limited pre season.

McAsey will also be a good player, but will Serong

We still don't look fit either. It's been a problem for far too long now.
It's actually pretty easy to explain, particularly yesterday.

When you spend a lot of time without the ball you tend to run more than your opposition. If we actually hit targets by foot instead of turning it over we can play the game on our terms.

It's actually pretty easy to explain, particularly yesterday.

When you spend a lot of time without the ball you tend to run more than your opposition. If we actually hit targets by foot instead of turning it over we can play the game on our terms.

Fair point.

I don’t think he’s a lockdown player though, which they tried yesterday. Let him off the leash and use his kicking ability.

No, I don't think he is either. It'd be handy if he could develop that bow though, having him as a mid-defender who could run off and create drive would be very handy going forward. Though, of course, McPherson is also going to be handy in that role.

Would allow us to replace Brown with McPherson in the near future as well. Or if we want to get crazy, reinvent Luke Brown.

We need to find a spot for Worrell. Forward or back. The guy can play and I don't want to see another player depart the club looking for more opportunity. I would definitely play Worrell over Kelly or Lynch. Would play him over Fogarty or Frampton as well.

Yeah, that's a looming issue. Worrell has a future, though I understand us being cautious with him. He's probably 1 season away from having an AFL footballers body.

Still, no reason why we can't give him a block of games to earn his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back