Preview CROWS versus port - Community Series Match - Sunday 4.10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this an echo of a problem which originated way back in the mid-2000s? Is this actually an aftershock of Gary Ayres?

When Neil Craig took over, there was only 1 solitary teenager on the list - Fungus Watts. That was largely a result of Ayres' refusal to allow almost any draftees under the age of 23 (I may be exaggerating - but only slightly). As a result, there was an almost complete generational turnover, which started in 2006. The players who joined the club at that time are now reaching retirement age en-masse (actually, the exodus started 2-3 years ago). Pyke having the same affliction as Ayres, i.e. a complete aversion to selecting anyone under the age of 25, has exacerbated the problem.

Any way you look at it, the problem appears to be cyclical - and one we'll be facing again in 10-13 years, as the current class of youngsters reach the end of their playing careers all at the same time.

Having had 2 coaches who steadfastly refused to select players under the age of 25 has played merry havoc with our list management, not once, but twice. Will we ever learn our lesson?

Is the list this year worst than 2020? No

People need to remember this was last years wooden spooners and minor premiers. So it’s league worst against the best.

I would wait for the first 5-8 games before we judge how the crows will go. I’m expecting crows to finish 14/15. Suns and Roos have worst lists atm.

People need to remember this was last years wooden spooners and minor premiers. So it’s league worst against the best.

I would wait for the first 5-8 games before we judge how the crows will go. I’m expecting crows to finish 14/15. Suns and Roos have worst lists atm.

The Suns list is worse than ours? In what ways?

Is the list this year worst than 2020? Yes for me.

We lost Brad a BnF winner and our best mid (not saying much) we brought Hatley in and whilst he may improve, for season 2021 Brad would've been a big increase in class.

Add in Sloane, Tex & Talia who are another year older and slower.

What makes you think we have a better list for the 2021 season?

No, I don't think he is either. It'd be handy if he could develop that bow though, having him as a mid-defender who could run off and create drive would be very handy going forward. Though, of course, McPherson is also going to be handy in that role.

Would allow us to replace Brown with McPherson in the near future as well. Or if we want to get crazy, reinvent Luke Brown.

Yeah, that's a looming issue. Worrell has a future, though I understand us being cautious with him. He's probably 1 season away from having an AFL footballers body.

Still, no reason why we can't give him a block of games to earn his spot.

Worrell should be playing over Kelly if we're serious about rebuilding properly.

Listening to the Nicks presser and it would seem Doedee is almost a certainty to return for round one, mentioned he was very impressed with how he looked in the sanfl game.
Did he say who he was impressed with in the AFL side we put out there?

If he named more than 1 or 2 players he's a deadset bullshit artist.

McAdam ended up with a couple of goals? in a side that got belted - not bad from a mid sized forward when the ball was hardly up there. Butts also looked to hold Dixon fairly well early on

This might not be the case but Hamish had a personal tragedy with losing his wife a few years ago. This kind of thing can’t be helpful in ones life. Personal issues can affect someone’s working capacities in ways not visible on the surface. Especially if you just plow ahead and don’t deal with it.
I have wondered the same

Did he say who he was impressed with in the AFL side we put out there?

If he named more than 1 or 2 players he's a deadset bullshit artist.
Only really mentioned that the midfield were better at getting the ball out this week which showed in the clearances, but that our structures forward of the ball were poor. Gave some praise to Murray as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup. I don't like agreeing with Lloyd but he's bang on here.

Rebuilding side slightly off against a premiership contender playing well, shock horror that isn’t going to look good. His assessment is a severe overreaction and Nicks won’t be under any pressure this season, this year clearly isn’t about wins and losses given there is no hope of finals. Is there any microscope on Melbourne getting thrashed by a team around the same level as them?

Would have loved if we kept our original fixture against Freo, a team a bit closer to us. I don’t think we would’ve won but it would’ve been a far more competitive matchup.

Nah he's right, we were witches hats for the entire 1st half.

We did fight it out a bit, but we were woeful for the first half.
Definitely horrible first half, but that will happen with a rebuilding squad. 2nd half was significantly better and a positive sign heading into the season that we can rebound within matches. I would be worried if we are still putting up halves like that deep into 2022.

Rebuilding side slightly off against a premiership contender playing well, shock horror that isn’t going to look good. His assessment is a severe overreaction and Nicks won’t be under any pressure this season, this year clearly isn’t about wins and losses given there is no hope of finals. Is there any microscope on Melbourne getting thrashed by a team around the same level as them?

Would have loved if we kept our original fixture against Freo, a team a bit closer to us. I don’t think we would’ve won but it would’ve been a far more competitive matchup.
Slightly off? Are you serious or taking the p1ss?

If we dished that same s**t up against Freo or any other AFL team we'd have been slaughtered..

Slightly off? Are you serious or taking the p1ss?
Poor first half, doesn’t take much for a team like ours to get thumped if we aren’t doing the basics like skill execution well. This definitely improved in the 2nd half.

At least we also managed to win centre clearances this week, our efficiency out of there was poor but if we get that dominance against bottom 8 sides then it should hopefully help us get a few wins.

Our how structure and strategy was out. The silver lining is that Port go into round 1 without having had a decent hit out.
I thought our skill execution was poor more than poor structures. Had plenty of opportunities to move the ball cleanly and fast into our forward 50, but could never execute the entire chain and missed very simple disposals.

The Suns list is worse than ours? In what ways?
I suppose you could argue that they have a number of rejects from other teams making up the numbers... but so do we. And the sad reality is that our rejects, bar Keays, who good on him had a great year, are inferior to theirs... bloody hell, our very own reject in Greenwood had a better season for them last year than any of our own midfielders. Sigh.

In terms of comparing their best promising young guys to ours, then good god are they in a better position than us. Obvious disclaimer that things can change over a couple of seasons but at present you’d have to suggest that:

King>>>Fogarty
Rowell>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jones
Anderson>>>>Schoenberg
Rankine>>>>>>>>McHenry
Lukosius>>>>>>>>McAsey

If they do manage to keep that core together and a few other young guys can develop into solid players then they are likely to be in a waaaay better position than we’ll find ourselves in 3 years. Sigh again.

Adelaide Crows 2000-2019.
We have won nothing for 20 years, but are absolutely 100% convinced everything we do is right and everyone that works for us is the best in the business.
Good job everyone. Contract extensions all around.

that was the premise of e-sports, baseball etc that we could leverage our best in class competence to other fields

These midfielders you speak of that were available at the picks we took to the draft in the last 5 or 6 years?

On paper and U18 performance at least 3 of those picks Milera, Gallucci and Jones looked very different to my eye...all three elite athletes, top shelf speed, agility, outstanding leaps on all those players and all found plenty of the pill pre our drafting them.

Schoenberg at the pick he was taken at looked to be good value and have points of difference.

Would you have been prepared to take Zac Bailey when Darcy Fogarty was still on this board, guarantee you it wouldn't have been popular on this board at this time if we'd taken anyone other than Fogarty when he was still there?

Milera at the time certainly looked a decent future midfield prospect and you'd hardly say he doesn't have differences to the run of the mill mids?

It's all well and good to say we should have been selecting "different" types of midfielders but a closer analysis at the picks we took to the draft and the players that were available at those picks makes that a pretty difficult task.

And then there's the Gibbs fiasco which was out of the control of Hamish anyhow....valuable picks used there.

Player development in the Pyke era especially has been a major contributor whether some want to agree or not.

essentially you’re arguing that he didn’t get things as wrong as it might look

fine. That’s not really where it swings

The point is where are the big hits, the occasional getting it seriously right.

there isn’t enough getting it right. Or at the very top end, any.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back