Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Going to be interesting to see how we structure up our backline with Butts as our only true KPD. Port will have quite a tall forward line so we will have a few mismatches height wise.

Keen to see Berry and Thilthorpe get a run, hopefully they both make the final cut

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Going to be interesting to see how we structure up our backline with Butts as our only true KPD. Port will have quite a tall forward line so we will have a few mismatches height wise.

Keen to see Berry and Thilthorpe get a run, hopefully they both make the final cut
Port really only have 1 true KPF too, and a resting ruck. Marshall might be tall but he's no key forward.

Trigger13

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wouldn’t be surprised if we lost by 20 goals this week. Port’s coaching staff were livid with their performance last week. Said they were lairising. They want to absolutely thump us this week. Rozee to have surgery on his foot. Marshall injured too think.

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Worrell deserved a cracking the AFL side

It seems Berry may get an opportunity this week at AFL level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, would have liked to see Worrell come in and get a run with Butts in the backlines. Gives us some size but it looks like the coaches are pretty keen on seeing Murray get another run.
It's a preseason game for fksake, give Worrell a go

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Port really only have 1 true KPF too, and a resting ruck. Marshall might be tall but he's no key forward.
I thought Georgiades was taller than he is, just checked and he is only 191cm. Yeah its just that resting ruck that we will struggle with, Murray at 193cm will have to stand them. Good test for the backline before round 1.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Hately dropped would hurt. It’s on him though, he was poor last week.
I don’t mind McAsey getting a run in the sanfl. Poor kid needs it. He looks drained of All confidence

Honestly I think Hately still has a long way to go before I would class him as first 22.

I watched him really closely when we played GWS last year and he didn't even fire a shot.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Honestly I think Hately still has a long way to go before I would class him as first 22.

I watched him really closely when we played GWS last year and he didn't even fire a shot.

I thought he played okay that day with limited game time. Played across half back IIRC and took some nice intercept marks.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we lost by 20 goals this week. Port’s coaching staff were livid with their performance last week. Said they were lairising. They want to absolutely thump us this week. Rozee to have surgery on his foot. Marshall injured too think.

Nah, I'd expect a similar 10 goal loss again. Not 20. Port did a pretty professional job on us last week.

You don't waste your best footy in a meaningless trial game against the likely spoon recipient. Even if they are your rival.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So we're preferring Hinge and Murray over McAsey. Ouch

Also means we're just going in with Butts as our single tall defender

Oh and a forward line of Fogarty, Walker, Lynch, Frampton and Thilthorpe hahahaha (assuming none are injured)
At this stage I think I would prefer Borlase over McAsey.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I doubt it, I'd say our coaching staff would've been pretty disappointed with our 2nd half.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Nah, I'd expect a similar 10 goal loss again. Not 20. Port did a pretty professional job on us last week.

You don't waste your best footy in a meaningless trial game against the likely spoon recipient. Even if they are your rival.
I still don't know how you say we're the "likely" spoon winner.

Is it just a "low expectations means I can't be disappointed" move ??

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon this will be a closer game. We were pretty pathetic last week so I'm expecting a similar response from us. The concern is Fogarty, Walker, Lynch, Frampton all in the one side. The ball will get walked out of our forward line with ease. Himmelberg has obviously pissed someone off as he has gone from our best performed forward end of last season to not even in the team. Worrell also deserves a shot imo. Hinge can play and I'm hoping he replaces Kelly round 1. Glad Thilthorpe and Berry are in the team but they had to be picked. Hopefully Doedee performs well and Talia is not far off as we need them badly.

Last edited:

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Lot of talls to fit in the side, Thilthorpe to play wing for long periods?
I reckon this will be a closer game than last week. We were pretty pathetic last week so I'm expecting a similar response from us. The concern is Fogarty, Walker, Lynch, Frampton all in the one side. The ball will get walked out of our forward line with ease. Himmelberg has obviously pissed someone off as he has gone from our best performed forward end of last season to not even in the team. Worrell also deserves a shot imo. Glad Thilthorpe and Berry are in the team but they had to be picked. Hopefully Doedee performs well and Talia is not far off as we need them badly.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still don't know how you say we're the "likely" spoon winner.

Is it just a "low expectations means I can't be disappointed" move ??

Few reasons, though it's more realism then myself going the "low expectations" route:

A) We have one of the hardest draws in the competition, relative to our own position, especially in the first half of the season. Look at every game were we are against teams who are probably equivalent to us, it's on the road. The good news is we're playing tougher teams at home, which should mitigate some beltings, but under no point is that draw conducive of a team outperforming their position. I wouldn't have us even having a game that we're 50/50 odds in until June with Collingwood at AO. I know we beat the Giants last year, but point B) plays a role here. It opens up once we get to the double-ups, and we could build some momentum coming into the 2022 preseason.

B) We got worse this offseason, not better. I accept we needed to shake up our midfield core and moving Brad Crouch on does make it easier to get youth into that setup, but that loss far outweighs any good we've added to our list. After all, one of the worst midfield in the last decade (and quite likely the worst) managed to go backwards, and scarily, it needed too. To sum up how bad this sector is, Matt Crouch is our best player. That's not good.

C) Our list profile is god-awful for doing anything bar existing in 2021. I'm stoked about it as a "start of a rebuild" profile, which is where I'd classify it as, but there is no room for short term improvement in it. We have 11 players over 50 games, and of them, only eight (Mackay, Seedsman and Milera all should not be best 22 players this year, though Milera is only here because of that knee injury) have any business being in our best 22. Three of those eight, in Sloane, Tex and Lynch are over 30, and two of them have already shown signs they're near the cliff (Lynch however was business as usual in 2020), the two that did are still the players we're relying on to perform to do well in a game. On the other side of the coin, we have 27 players who have only played 1 season worth of AFL games at most, and very little in that mid group of 30-150 gamers. We're dealing with our leaders declining and the kids who will inevitably become the new core, and propel us upwards, being way too green to do so. We're going to get more inconsistent, not less.

We got some wins in the back half of last year, but we're going to be going backwards from that point before we go forwards. Whilst North shred a lot of older guys this offseason, their list profile isn't anywhere near as extreme as ours is at the moment. We've gone all-in on the rebuild, and the short term is very messy when you do. Hawks are extreme on the other end, which should see them finish an uncompetitive 14th-16th. Sydney are also 1-2 years ahead of us in build. Neither Essendon or Collingwood have imploded, though they certainly could.

We're really waiting on Berry, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Thilthrope etc to get into that 30-50 game bracket before we'll start to genuinely improve. Avoiding the spoon would see us ahead of schedule right now, seeing we should be expected to achieve that in 2022.

Last edited:
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Few reasons, though it's more realism then myself going the "low expectations" route:

A) We have one of the hardest draws in the competition, relative to our own position, especially in the first half of the season. Look at every game were we are against teams who are probably equivalent to us, it's on the road. The good news is we're playing tougher teams at home, which should mitigate some beltings, but under no point is that draw conducive of a team outperforming their position. I wouldn't have us even having a game that we're 50/50 odds in until June with Collingwood at AO. I know we beat the Giants last year, but point B) plays a role here.

B) We got worse this offseason, not better. I accept we needed to shake up our midfield core and moving Brad Crouch on does make it easier to get youth into that setup, but that loss far outweighs any good we've added to our list. After all, one of the worst midfield in the last decade (and quite likely the worst) managed to go backwards, and scarily, it needed too. To sum up how bad this sector is, Matt Crouch is our best player. That's not good.

C) Our list profile is god-awful for doing anything bar existing in 2021. I'm stoked about it as a "start of a rebuild" profile, which is where I'd classify it as, but there is no room for short term improvement in it. We have 11 players over 50 games, and of them, now only eight of them (Mackay, Seedsman and Milera all should not be best 22 players this year, though Milera is only here because of that knee injury) have any business being in our best 22. Three of those eight, in Sloane, Tex and Lynch are over 30, and two of them have already shown signs they're near the cliff (Lynch however was business as usual in 2020), the two that did are still the players we're relying on to perform to do well in a game. On the other side of the coin, we have 27 players who have only played 1 season worth of AFL games at most. We're dealing with our leaders declining and the kids who will inevitably become the new core, and propel us upwards, being way too green to do so. We're going to get more inconsistent, not less.

We got some wins in the back half of last year, but we're going to be going backwards from that point before we go forwards. Whilst North shred a lot of older guys this offseason, their list profile isn't anywhere near as extreme as ours is at the moment. We've gone all-in on the rebuild, and the short term is very messy when you do. Hawks are extreme on the other end, which should see them finish an uncompetitive 14th-16th. Sydney are also 1-2 years ahead of us in build. Neither Essendon or Collingwood have imploded, though they certainly could.

We're really waiting on Berry, Pedlar, Schoenberg, Thilthrope etc to get into that 30-50 game bracket before we'll start to genuinely improve. Avoiding the spoon would see us ahead of schedule right now, seeing we should be expected to achieve that in 2022.
What is wrong with having an AA midfielder from a GF year as your best midfielder? Am I missing something? He should be entering his prime years as a mid now too.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

A) We have one of the hardest draws in the competition, relative to our own position, especially in the first half of the season. Look at every game were we are against teams who are probably equivalent to us, it's on the road. The good news is we're playing tougher teams at home, which should mitigate some beltings, but under no point is that draw conducive of a team outperforming their position. I wouldn't have us even having a game that we're 50/50 odds in until June with Collingwood at AO. I know we beat the Giants last year, but point B) plays a role here.

C) Our list profile is god-awful for doing anything bar existing in 2021. I'm stoked about it as a "start of a rebuild" profile, which is where I'd classify it as, but there is no room for short term improvement in it. We have 11 players over 50 games, and of them, now only eight of them (Mackay, Seedsman and Milera all should not be best 22 players this year, though Milera is only here because of that knee injury) have any business being in our best 22. Three of those eight, in Sloane, Tex and Lynch are over 30, and two of them have already shown signs they're near the cliff (Lynch however was business as usual in 2020), the two that did are still the players we're relying on to perform to do well in a game. On the other side of the coin, we have 27 players who have only played 1 season worth of AFL games at most. We're dealing with our leaders declining and the kids who will inevitably become the new core, and propel us upwards, being way too green to do so. We're going to get more inconsistent, not less.

Don't necessarily agree with it, but very valid and well thought out points

What is wrong with having an AA midfielder from a GF year as your best midfielder? Am I missing something? He should be entering his prime years as a mid now too.

Matt Crouch is a reliable player, the type good sides have in the middle of their rotation to keep things ticking over and builds a platform for your stars to excel in. The moment these guys end up being your best midfielder, you're in a world of hurt because it shows you do not have the high-end talent to be competitive.

Matt has been in his prime for 4 years. What you saw then is what he is now, bar when he's horrifically out of form, in which he transforms into a crab. Thankfully, I don't think we'll ever go through that again. Not until Matts body is failing, at any rate.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

A) We have one of the hardest draws in the competition, relative to our own position, especially in the first half of the season. Look at every game were we are against teams who are probably equivalent to us, it's on the road. The good news is we're playing tougher teams at home, which should mitigate some beltings, but under no point is that draw conducive of a team outperforming their position. I wouldn't have us even having a game that we're 50/50 odds in until June with Collingwood at AO. I know we beat the Giants last year, but point B) plays a role here. It opens up once we get to the double-ups, and we could build some momentum coming into the 2022 preseason.

C) Our list profile is god-awful for doing anything bar existing in 2021. I'm stoked about it as a "start of a rebuild" profile, which is where I'd classify it as, but there is no room for short term improvement in it. We have 11 players over 50 games, and of them, only eight (Mackay, Seedsman and Milera all should not be best 22 players this year, though Milera is only here because of that knee injury) have any business being in our best 22. Three of those eight, in Sloane, Tex and Lynch are over 30, and two of them have already shown signs they're near the cliff (Lynch however was business as usual in 2020), the two that did are still the players we're relying on to perform to do well in a game. On the other side of the coin, we have 27 players who have only played 1 season worth of AFL games at most, and very little in that mid group of 30-150 gamers. We're dealing with our leaders declining and the kids who will inevitably become the new core, and propel us upwards, being way too green to do so. We're going to get more inconsistent, not less.

I have two takes on ladder position. Your right we have been handed the hardest draw. Why? Mindboggling but the AFL inadvertently may have done us a favour with draft position. If we play Lynch, Walker, Mackay, Kelly, Seedsman and (Sloane in the middle) we will indeed finish last I can almost guarantee it. Add in guaranteed games to Jones, McAsey, Fogarty, Frampton, Hately, McHenry and things may be very dire indeed. But I tend live in hope that we will see the emergence of core group of Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Sholl, Hamill, McPherson, Berry, Pedlar, Worrell, Himmelberg, McAdam, Rowe?, Hinge, Keays along with the more senior ROB, Laird, Crouch, Doedee, Brown, Smith and I think we may surprise a few. Ultimately it will come down to selection and what positions players are selected in as to how far we can go. Also injuries will affect our ladder position and especially which players get injured.

Back